You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

Can't believe all the tennis people fawning round her , mostly saying that the umpire was right , but ...

There may be valid arguments around inequalities in the women / men's game and possible rule changes needed , but Williams wasn't doing it for any of this , she was doing it because she is couldn't handle being humiliated at her own tournament & she is a horrible person when things do not go right for her.

I'm pleased at the lack of support for her from the tennis community actually. The WTA simply had to support her and their statement, putting Williams aside, was pretty accurate. There seems to be more ex-players calling her out on this than supporting her and the relative silence from the rest speaks volumes, while opinion pieces are pretty much 50/50. She has one or two very vocal supporters one of whom is a good mate of hers and the other is Billie Jean King, quelle surprise.

Disgraceful bahaviour. And absolutely ruined Osaka's debut major victory.

She should be ashamed and i hope she woke up this morning feeling regret.

The tennis umpires should all go on strike in solidarity to send a message that that kind of behaviour and the ridiculous statement from the WTA is completely unacceptable

I'm not seeing a racist angle when I look at that cartoon, I'm seeing a petulant twat having the piss taken out of her, and rightly so!

So why did the cartoonist turn her half black half Asian opponent into a straight haired blonde white girl? The depiction of her is straight out of the Jim Crow playbook. And in a Murdoch rag, no less. By all means criticise her for poor sportsmanship, but this shit is racist as fuck

• Upvote 1