You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

So much for last year being Federers swan song.

It's amazing the way he has outlasted Djokovic a few years ago he was getting to finals but meting the T1000 all the time and losing them, now he seems to be playing as well as ever while Novak is looking like he's on the way down while Rafa and Murray are constantly injured .

I guess it goes to show his effortless style of play is the way to go if you want your career to last into your 30's in this day and age.

So much for last year being Federers swan song.

It's amazing the way he has outlasted Djokovic a few years ago he was getting to finals but meting the T1000 all the time and losing them, now he seems to be playing as well as ever while Novak is looking like he's on the way down while Rafa and Murray are constantly injured .

I guess it goes to show his effortless style of play is the way to go if you want your career to last into your 30's in this day and age.

I wouldn't say he's outlasted Djokovic. For years, the Serb never seemed to get injured but he's spent the 6 months or so before the Australian Open dealing with injury and a prolonged spell out of the game. He'll have gone almost 2 years without winning a major by the time the French Open rolls around again, but bear in mind Federer went about 5 years without winning a major.

I wouldn't say he's outlasted Djokovic. For years, the Serb never seemed to get injured but he's spent the 6 months or so before the Australian Open dealing with injury and a prolonged spell out of the game. He'll have gone almost 2 years without winning a major by the time the French Open rolls around again, but bear in mind Federer went about 5 years without winning a major.

I agree Djokovic at his peak seemed unbeatable, I just think the high intensity way him Nadal and Murray play is always going to take its toll on your body.

I wouldn't write him off as Nadal proved last year you can come back and win majors if you really want to ibut it's going to be tough for Nivak and especially Murray to do it

Federer the best ever. Amazing what he has done. In his studio interview afterwards (with whoever it was on ESPN over here) he was talking about how he is still improving, saying that his return is better than it ever was, and that he also plays some bigger shots since that’s the way the game has increasingly gone.

He’s a gentleman and a true great.

Oh, and as for Wozniacki, what was McIlroy thinking there? Dozy Manc!

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Fantastic tennis player, but a horrible person.

A lot of the US crowd were despicable too.

I love the US Open, mainly for the atmosphere but they were out of order tonight. However Williams totally fanned the flames and they lapped it up.

Ironically she kinda had a bit of a point during her rant about male players getting away with similar code violations, she just went about making her point really really badly. If it was a one off you could perhaps excuse it but with her attempts at intimidation earlier in the match and previous form with umpires, particularly at the US Open, when things aren't going well it paints a really vile picture of erm, entitlement perhaps? She seems to hate a challenge, fortunately for her the standard of women's tennis has been mostly poor during her period of dominance.

Serena's a big black woman, unfortunately the type of person most of the world would rather see not get to the top. She's probably had to face countless sneers about her looks, race, size, etc.. Can pardon her the snarky attitude. 

On a separate note, Osaka looks like the next dominant player in women's tennis. 

• Downvote 1

Serena's a big black woman, unfortunately the type of person most of the world would rather see not get to the top. She's probably had to face countless sneers about her looks, race, size, etc.. Can pardon her the snarky attitude.

On a separate note, Osaka looks like the next dominant player in women's tennis.

So are you saying that Serena is allowed to act like a cunt because she's a black woman?

Or that I'm a racist for thinking she's a cunt?

No sorry, it's not just a snarky attitude it's her sense of entitlement and the overshadowing of brilliant performances by her opponents, and it's happened too many times to be pardoned.

She ranted and raved, called the umpire a thief and threatened his career plus squeezed in an anti-woman implication (she might have a point). Where was the respect for her fellow female athlete in that moment?

Martina Navratilova faced as many difficulties in her career as Williams but rarely acted even close to the type of behaviour Williams demonstrates. I was never a particular fan of the Czech but appreciate what she did for the game, moreover she's universally respected and well liked. I don't know if Williams will achieve the same but maybe she won't care about that and that's her look out.

At the end of the day she can behave how she wants, she just can't expect not to be called out on it.

No sorry, it's not just a snarky attitude it's her sense of entitlement and the overshadowing of brilliant performances by her opponents, and it's happened too many times to be pardoned.

She ranted and raved, called the umpire a thief and threatened his career plus squeezed in an anti-woman implication (she might have a point). Where was the respect for her fellow female athlete in that moment?

Martina Navratilova faced as many difficulties in her career as Williams but rarely acted even close to the type of behaviour Williams demonstrates. I was never a particular fan of the Czech but appreciate what she did for the game, moreover she's universally respected and well liked. I don't know if Williams will achieve the same but maybe she won't care about that and that's her look out.

At the end of the day she can behave how she wants, she just can't expect not to be called out on it.

It's like Muhammad Ali. Was he always respectful towards opponents? No. But black athletes who have been talked down to their whole careers develop a me against the world attitude. Doesn't mean I enjoy seeing it, but I understand it. 

And by the way, she had a point. Her confrontation with the umpire was run-of-the-mill and no one would have batted an eyelid had it been Djokovic, for example. She also told the crowd to congratulate Osaka during the on-court interview, so hardly disrespectful toward her opponent as well.