You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

I tell you what, that Rafael Nadal is outstanding. If Federer wasn't about he'd be talked about as a future all time great. Only 21, never lost a match at the French open & has a winning record over Federer. With Djokovic and Murray playing well, tennis could get good again

• Upvote 1

Can you see anyone other than Federer weinning Wimbledon though?

I wouldn't want to really. I love watching Federer. I would of course like to see him drop a set here or there, but the guy is an absolute joy to watch. The greatest of all time.

Whereas other greats like Sampras were boring to watch and dudes like Hendry in snooker dominate sports without ever enthralling, Federer is just the man. He rules so hard.

Fuck Andy Murray.

jesus, there's more to Tennis then fucking Wimbledon. But you're right. Just like it's hard to see Nadal losing in the French

Not for me.

I couldn't give a flying one about the rest, and I only care about Wimbledon because it is during the summer and there is no footie on.

I take no joy from watching Federer at all.

Yes he has more of an all court game compared to Sampras' usual serve/volley, but he is so robotic, so lacking in any on court personality or joy that even his cream custom made blazer can't help.

Sampras wasn't the most dynamic personality either but at least he had humility, something I believe Federer lacks. And on court Sampras, when he was at his very best and had to show his range of shots, was truly breathtaking.

Sampras had better competition too, he played in a great tennis era. Beyond Federer and Nadal (only on clay) there is no real depth, no consistent challengers.

I love watching Federer..

Yep, I expect him to piss it again this year making shots that dont even look humanly possible. He's amazing to watch. Passing shot after passing shot after passing shot while the other bloke stands the other side of the next thinking he's won the point.

Unfortunately he'll lose the final at the French I expect although he pissed all over Nadal in Hamburg but that clay out there is better suited to Fed than Roland Garros and it was only a 3 setter.

Yes he has more of an all court game compared to Sampras' usual serve/volley, but he is so robotic, so lacking in any on court personality or joy that even his cream custom made blazer can't help.

Sampras wasn't the most dynamic personality either but at least he had humility, something I believe Federer lacks. And on court Sampras, when he was at his very best and had to show his range of shots, was truly breathtaking.

Sampras had better competition too, he played in a great tennis era. Beyond Federer and Nadal (only on clay) there is no real depth, no consistent challengers.

Them idiots on "Henman Hill" will have something to say about that.

His Tennis has the personality. It's more charismatic than anyone on the circuit at the moment. And why does someone have to be a McEnroe or an Ivanisevic to be enjoyable?

I can't believe you said Federer lacks humility. Give me one example? He's a shy, humble guy.

Remmie, can you answer my girls tennis question?

Its really competitive, Mauresmo was the best last year in grandslams winning 2 while Henin made the Finals of all 4 winning 1. Williams won the Aussie Open this year, Jankovic is looking brilliant, Sharapova is quality. Theres plenty of competition there and its not like the mens.

Henin is the best if I had to pick.

His Tennis has the personality. It's more charismatic than anyone on the circuit at the moment. And why does someone have to be a McEnroe or an Ivanisevic to be enjoyable?

I can't believe you said Federer lacks humility. Give me one example? He's a shy, humble guy.

I never even mentioned McEnroe or Ivanisevic!!

The player I was lauding was Sampras, not exactly Mr Personality himself!

On the womens side I absolutely adored Steffi Graf, again not Miss Personality but had an incredibly humble side to her.

Maybe Federer is just not the best communicator and makes bad choices?? But countless times I have heard him say how fantastic and how unbeatable he is.

Plus that bleedin' blazer he got made for Wimbledon, TO GO ON COURT IN. I mean come on, if that's not making himself stand out as Mr Special then I don't know what is!

I never even mentioned McEnroe or Ivanisevic!!

The player I was lauding was Sampras, not exactly Mr Personality himself!

On the womens side I absolutely adored Steffi Graf, again not Miss Personality but had an incredibly humble side to her.

Maybe Federer is just not the best communicator and makes bad choices?? But countless times I have heard him say how fantastic and how unbeatable he is.

Plus that bleedin' blazer he got made for Wimbledon, TO GO ON COURT IN. I mean come on, if that's not making himself stand out as Mr Special then I don't know what is!

The dude has won 4 Wimbledon's in a row! He does stand out as Mr Special! Everyone dug the jacket, it ruled. And he didn't get it made, it was his sponsor's idea.

And for all of these countless times you've heard him say how fantastic and unbeatable he is, would you be kind enough to provide a credible example?

With regards to the Ivanisevic and McEnroe references, they're two the most charismatic players perhaps ever. If you're going to criticise Federer for a lack of personality then surely you'd want to use these two shining lights to back things up? My argument is that one outlandish Federer backhand displays more personality than that raquet throwing, you cannot be serious fuck.

McEnroe was a legend, I loved the fact that he was the worlds best and still a stroppy fucker. Federer is also a legend, but for different reasons. Possibly a better player, we'll never know given the change in technology/fitness etc.

But the women's game is way more interesting, I'm off to the Wimbledon warmup tournament for women down here by the seaside, good chance to see the worlds best closeup (and a chance to letch over lots of 18 year old tall athletic women). Woo ha!

Federer is definitely the better player than Sampras as Sampras main weapon was power and an awesome serve, whereas Federer wins despite his serve not because of it. Federer is the most complete player of all time. Agree about the ape having better competition though. Agassi was fucking class, think of the grand slams he would have won if Sampras hadnt been around.

Its the old "who would win through the ages" debate again though isnt it?

Ali (60's model) vs Tyson (circa 89)

Woods vs Nicklaus

Senna vs Schumacher

Federer vs sampras

For arguments sake i think the former are all better and in fact are the greatest exponents of their sports the world has ever seen.

The dude has won 4 Wimbledon's in a row! He does stand out as Mr Special! Everyone dug the jacket, it ruled. And he didn't get it made, it was his sponsor's idea.

And for all of these countless times you've heard him say how fantastic and unbeatable he is, would you be kind enough to provide a credible example?

With regards to the Ivanisevic and McEnroe references, they're two the most charismatic players perhaps ever. If you're going to criticise Federer for a lack of personality then surely you'd want to use these two shining lights to back things up? .

Exactly, he didn't need to wear it. He could have refused on the basis it was a stupidly indulgent thing to do.

I swear I have seen his highly congratulatory self-appraisal with my own eyes and heard with my own ears, usually after matches and tournaments on TV. I'm not aware of any quotes on the net but when I feel compelled to back myself up maybe I will look. I have no reason to lie, and I did also suggest this could be down to him communicating poorly.

Speaking of poor communication (!) perhaps I used the word 'personality' inappropriately, I never have, and never will be, impressed by a player mouthing off to the umpire or playing to the crowd.

I feel Federer lacks passion. It's as if everyting is too easy for him, there's no real enjoyment there. Any kind of emotion always seems forced, apart from his first Wimbledon win and I'm sure when he wins his first French.

Granted most of the time things are too easy for him, he is a brilliant player. Which goes back to a lack of any real consistent competition.

Federer is definitely the better player than Sampras as Sampras main weapon was power and an awesome serve, whereas Federer wins despite his serve not because of it. Federer is the most complete player of all time. Agree about the ape having better competition though. Agassi was fucking class, think of the grand slams he would have won if Sampras hadnt been around.

Its the old "who would win through the ages" debate again though isnt it?

Ali (60's model) vs Tyson (circa 89)

Woods vs Nicklaus

Senna vs Schumacher

Federer vs sampras

For arguments sake i think the former are all better and in fact are the greatest exponents of their sports the world has ever seen.

I wouldn't claim that Sampras was definitely better than Federer is, as you say, different eras.

And think of how many Grand Slams Sampras would have won if he had the (lack of) competition of Federer!

I personally enjoyed watching Sampras far more.

He very much had within him an all court game, he just rarely had to use it because of the precision of his serve and volleys. Sampras was actually less powerful that many of his contemporaries and I wouldn't be surprised if his average serve speed is very similar to Federer's.

Exactly, he didn't need to wear it. He could have refused on the basis it was a stupidly indulgent thing to do.

I swear I have seen his highly congratulatory self-appraisal with my own eyes and heard with my own ears, usually after matches and tournaments on TV. I'm not aware of any quotes on the net but when I feel compelled to back myself up maybe I will look. I have no reason to lie, and I did also suggest this could be down to him communicating poorly.

Speaking of poor communication (!) perhaps I used the word 'personality' inappropriately, I never have, and never will be, impressed by a player mouthing off to the umpire or playing to the crowd.

I feel Federer lacks passion. It's as if everyting is too easy for him, there's no real enjoyment there. Any kind of emotion always seems forced, apart from his first Wimbledon win and I'm sure when he wins his first French.

Granted most of the time things are too easy for him, he is a brilliant player. Which goes back to a lack of any real consistent competition.

I know you have no reason to lie, but until you do, your argument that Federer lacks humility cannot be considered reliable.

I don't even think he's a poor communicator, he speaks something like 7 languages.

The emotion is forced? I utterly contest that. Sometimes, I've been amazed watching him sink to his knees in euphoria knowing that he's barely broken a sweat. The dude is a winner.