You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

Fair fucks to Djokovic. I’m far from his biggest fan and have had my tongue firmly in my cheek all night, but he’s an all-time elite athlete and to have greater mental strength and resilience even than the rarified 0.0001% level of his sport is an incredible achievement all of its own.

Shows just how hard what he was trying to do is physically mentally and emotionally to see him tonight, and what it’s taken from him. In a funny way, that humanises him and will maybe do what Murray’s reaction to his Wimbledon defeat to Federer did in making people warm to him a bit more. And though it won’t be the calendar slam, he’ll likely just go and claim his 21st in Australia to settle the battle for winning the most.

Not only that, but after swallowing the bitterest pill of his career, he comes out with a speech as gracious as that minutes afterwards. Can only marvel at the sportsmanship of tennis players, they compete life and death for every point, then without fail give these generous tributes right after missing out on something they’ve dreamt about their whole lives. Fair play to him for this. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Justice Negs said:

Fair fucks to Djokovic. I’m far from his biggest fan and have had my tongue firmly in my cheek all night, but he’s an all-time elite athlete and to have greater mental strength and resilience even than the rarified 0.0001% level of his sport is an incredible achievement all of its own.

Shows just how hard what he was trying to do is physically mentally and emotionally to see him tonight, and what it’s taken from him. In a funny way, that humanises him and will maybe do what Murray’s reaction to his Wimbledon defeat to Federer did in making people warm to him a bit more. And though it won’t be the calendar slam, he’ll likely just go and claim his 21st in Australia to settle the battle for winning the most.

Not only that, but after swallowing the bitterest pill of his career, he comes out with a speech as gracious as that minutes afterwards. Can only marvel at the sportsmanship of tennis players, they compete life and death for every point, then without fail give these generous tributes right after missing out on something they’ve dreamt about their whole lives. Fair play to him for this. 

Yeah he came across really well. Fair fucks. I don't particularly enjoy watching him but can't deny his greatness.

• Upvote 1

Definitely has an end of era feel to me,  Federer is done, Nadal may possibly have one more French open in him and I think Novak will start to tail off as he now ages, he hasn’t been at his very best since that tremendous match at the French Open against Nadal albeit he is still the best and probably has about another two majors in him. The days of the big three hoovering up every open are gone though imo. I honestly didn't fancy Djokovic to beat Medvedev but didn’t see him losing in straight sets. Djokovic was awful last night.

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Definitely has an end of era feel to me,  Federer is done, Nadal may possibly have one more French open in him and I think Novak will start to tail off as he now ages, he hasn’t been at his very best since that tremendous match at the French Open against Nadal albeit he is still the best and probably has about another two majors in him. The days of the big three hoovering up every open are gone though imo. I honestly didn't fancy Djokovic to beat Medvedev but didn’t see him losing in straight sets. Djokovic was awful last night.

Know what you mean there mate. Interesting Djokovic had said beforehand he was treating it like the last match of his career. Not that I think he would have retired, but had he got that over the line there would have been no new worlds to conquer and motivating himself to keep going would have become even more difficult than it already must be. Can’t see there being too much difference emotionally having lost. Calendar grand slam must be gone for him, and trying for it had clearly emptied the tank. We’re surely going to see official retirements of at least Roger and Rafa in the coming 12-24 months tops, and it’s not impossible he may follow sooner than we would all have thought even relatively recently. He is superhuman though, so who knows, after a decent break he may just set his sights on 30 slams!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Sleazy bastard from a Tory shitrag trying to justify why he's been staring at Emma's chest.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/can-we-talk-about-emma-raducanu-s-religions-beliefs-?s=09

Nobody's buying it.

And to think Toby Young ,Rod Liddle and co just thought Theo was just pounding away at his keyboard all day 

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Mmmmm Raducanu already sacked her coach and giving it the jolly hockey sticks with Middleton……..anybody else hearing alarm bells?.

Bit of a strange one , I believe she only really took on Richardson for the US Open as he was Johnny on the spot and available immediately and was probably shocked how well she did.  With the season so late on I thought she might keep him on for the last couple of tournaments at least.  Doesn't want to fall into Konta Land though where she appears to sack a coach every time she loses a game.

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Bit of a strange one , I believe she only really took on Richardson for the US Open as he was Johnny on the spot and available immediately and was probably shocked how well she did.  With the season so late on I thought she might keep him on for the last couple of tournaments at least.  Doesn't want to fall into Konta Land though where she appears to sack a coach every time she loses a game.

Yeah mate but Johnny on the spot won the Open with her and deserves a bit more respect imo. Alarm bells for me I’m afraid.

10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah mate but Johnny on the spot won the Open with her and deserves a bit more respect imo. Alarm bells for me I’m afraid.

She's dropped her coach to look for one she thinks will better help her progress her game. She worked with him every day. Who is anyone else to say she's making the wrong decision? Who even knows the input he had into her success, the relationship they had or what his demands were to stay on?

I assume you'd rather she stayed with what she clearly thinks is a substandard coach for her needs, someone who worked with her for a whole two months, outta respect? She's a winner, not a sentimentalist.

The old English disease strikes again.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

She's dropped her coach to look for one she thinks will better help her progress her game. She worked with him every day. Who is anyone else to say she's making the wrong decision? Who even knows the input he had into her success, the relationship they had or what his demands were to stay on?

I assume you'd rather she stayed with what she clearly thinks is a substandard coach for her needs, someone who worked with her for a whole two months, outta respect? She's a winner, not a sentimentalist.

The old English disease strikes again.

Calm yourself dear it was just an observation , don’t have a stroke

• Downvote 1