You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Women's tennis always seems to throw up one hit wonder teenage sensations who have no longevity. Other than the Williams sisters, and maybe Martina Hingis, there's no one else.

...only all the others you've not named?!!

What a night, brilliant Leylah and even better Emma.  Got very emotional watching, edging closer, knowing she was about to do it.  As a long time follower of tennis, particularly womens, it's been a frustrating transition from a great era lasting 30 years, through the last 15 years of general malaise, and now a new era in women's tennis, fingers crossed.  I hope this is the start of something special.

Well in Emma you absolute diamond.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moo said:

What a night, brilliant Leylah and even better Emma.  Got very emotional watching, edging closer, knowing she was about to do it.  As a long time follower of tennis, particularly womens, it's been a frustrating transition from a great era lasting 30 years, through the last 15 years of general malaise, and now a new era fingers crossed.  I hope this is the start of something special.

Well in Emma you absolute diamond.

If you had an F in your name you'd be fingering her tonight. 

I'm sorry x 

Just facts. 

6 minutes ago, Justice Negs said:

The lovebombing Fernandez gave New York at the end there and her comments about the city’s resilience this past twenty years served notice she won’t miss a trick. That’ll be her home crowd for good now. Not daft, is she.

Or she realised "hang on, pretty big fucking day here today, might be worth acknowledging that" ..... I don't know. 

1 hour ago, Justice Negs said:

The lovebombing Fernandez gave New York at the end there and her comments about the city’s resilience this past twenty years served notice she won’t miss a trick. That’ll be her home crowd for good now. Not daft, is she.

She's a sharp speaker for sure, very engaging personality. You could see it in her game as well, I don't doubt its genuine for the cynics FYI.

Raducanu seems more of a steely winner, really does look like the first of many for her. Does kinda remind me of Hamilton a bit but without the cunt factor, at least so far.

18 minutes ago, Gooch said:

She's a sharp speaker for sure, very engaging personality. You could see it in her game as well, I don't doubt its genuine for the cynics FYI.

Raducanu seems more of a steely winner, really does look like the first of many for her. Does kinda remind me of Hamilton a bit but without the cunt factor, at least so far.

Did you know anything about her a week ago? 

7 hours ago, Justice Negs said:

Thought exactly the same mate, then again I’m an unwavering cynic

To win the whole thing in only her second Slam is some achievement, but to do so without dropping a set is genuinely incredible. It looks like she has the game to win more majors, but now she has to show she can do it when there is a certain burden of expectation, more media scrutiny, and coming up against the sort of players with a recent history of winning multiple Grand Slams like Osaka, Halep, Kerber and Barty.

A bit like Seles or Hingis in the 90s, she's come along as a teenager and pretty much swept aside her opponents. Those two probably had more of a track record in junior tennis, and certainly Hingis was more or less destined for big things in tennis, even being named after her mum's tennis idol. The sport needs that fresh injection of youth, especially in the men's game where experience and physicality is currently more of a decisive factor than youthful exuberance.

She's the 4th British woman to win a Slam in the Open Era after Jones, Wade and Barker. In the men's, we only have Murray.

If she does an interview on ITV's morning show, she should make a point of blanking Morgan's questions and only deal with Suzanna.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Moo said:

...only all the others you've not named?!!

What I mean is, there's a lot of 'one or two hit wonders' in the women's game. I'm not taking anything away from these winners,  but there's not been anyone since the Williams sisters who've truly dominated the game in the last 20 years despite being hailed as a player who could. 

Everyone talking about how Raducanu and Fernandez will contest many more finals. They could easily burn out like so many before them.

33 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Some bad news for the rest of you. I’ve decided to marry Emma. Please focus only on her tennis, not her hotness, sweetness and obvious abilities in the bedroom. 

Shouldn't you be marrying someone a bit nearer your own age?

Like Leylah Fernandez?

• Upvote 1