You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should have acted normal. Would have gone right off.

I love the dispensary having first gone in there out of morbid curiosity from the trip advisor reviews. Was always genuinely hoping to see a legendary meltdown from Dave but it's just never happened. We've tried a couple of times as well to set up an unknowing member of the group by getting them to ask for a Diet Coke or a sample but it's never worked.

The closest we got was when my mate changed his order from White Rat to Guinness and black and was derided as a 'poofter' but it didn't really cut the mustard in terms of the reaction we were looking for.

I took some mates from here in and got them to Google the Trip Advisor tales just as Dave came over to talk to us. He was disappointingly friendly and welcoming.

Same story here.  I went there once specifically because of a Google review that said "The barman told me to f*** off. I'm never going back."

All the worst dive pubs on the estates in Runcorn have gradually closed.

Church Street Wine Bar in the Old Town however is without doubt the worst boozer I've yet to visit. It's on a main high street with regular shops, has huge glass windows so anyone passing can see who is in there, and is frequented by pissheads from breakfast til midnight. Most of them when you drive past look like they've just had some kind of terrible prognosis from the doctor.

It looks to be a pissheads paradise. I can only imagine the ale is very cheap.

That one definitely looks worth avoiding.

Last time I had a sesh in Runcorn, fucking years ago, we saw some sights.  The Grapes in Halton Road wasn't the roughest ever, but when you see that the Lounge side is mothballed - in darkness and under dust sheets - because they only have a "bar side" clientele, you get an idea what to expect.  What I got was accosted by two over-friendly inbred mutants, husband & wife/brother & sister; she thought it was a hoot to take my scarf off and stuff it down my trousers, while her giant brother/uncle/husband sat there chuckling like the ominous rumblings of a maleficent volcano and my mates made themselves scarce.

We also had a pint in one (now demolished, I think) near Delph Bridge, called something original like "The Bridge".  I needed a piss and I stood for a couple of minutes inspecting the metal plates on the toilet doors, which were so badly scratched that you couldn't tell which was the Gent and which was the Lady.  In the end, I had to ask the barman; he just shrugged and said "just use either".

• Upvote 1

GD5899363.jpg

Can't find any original pics as it is now burned down. Aurthur Thompsons old haunt known locally as the Stab Inn.

After a couple of bottles of Old English Sherry my mates and i decided it would be a good idea if went over to this place to see if it was as bad as they siad it was.

Seven of us trooped over, took one look at the outside and shat seven colours of shite and legged it.

Fucking hell, some of the ale houses Moof is posting look like borstals.

One I remember I went to was this place when I was in Japan last year. It wasn't rough as such, just really moody. I was in Nara and it was about 10, 11 at night. I was on my back to my hotel after a wander and fancied a bev. Clocked this Hawaiian themed place during my walk and so popped in. The place was tiny, an absolute sweatbox and filled with smoke. Walking in was like that scene from An American Werewolf in London, where everyone just stares at the lads walking into The Slaughtered Lamb. I order a beer from the barmaid who's done up in dystopian cyber punk gear, and there's no let up with the stares. There was even a darts game going on that stopped when I walked in. Knocked back my pint in about 5 mins and left because I was feeling freaked out having 30 odd pairs of eyes on me the entire time.

They probably laugh about the time they made a foreigner shit his kecks in there now.

When I worked on Water St there used to be a bar on Lower Castle St that was a basement job. We would go in there at lunchtime on Friday with the boss and others and pretty much stay there till 5pm. Strippers all afternoon. 

Our mates who had proper jobs would then meet us there after 6 ish. One was a Doctor so we would usually end up in the Cabin. Twatted.

Woke many a time in flats full of people all over Toxteth and Kenny with no idea who these people were, how I or we got there and not a penny to my name.

Often stayed the weekend.

• Upvote 1

One more popped into my head.

Was in New Orleans and me and the wife were on our way back to the hotel and I was moaning that it was too early and in this city you are meant to go nuts. 

In the end she climbed down and there was a bar opposite the hotel with all the patio type doors open and a nice breeze blowing in the 90 dg heat.

Go and have a few there she said so in I went.

It was only when the naked guy with the massive cock came wondering across the top of the bar did I notice there were no women in this place.

Still finished my bevy and ordered one for the 50 yard journey home mind.

• Upvote 1

There used to be a pub called the Flying Scotsman just along from Kings Cross in London. There was a small room just off to the side of the bar where you were able to drink your pint whilst a young lady removed her clothing on a very small stage.

It was what you would call an intimate space in that if you got in early enough you could get a spot right next to the stage and would literally be within inches of various minges. 

One day some chap decided if it was that close he might as well touch it. No sooner had he laid a hand upon it when this old woman with a face like she had been bobbing for chips grabbed him and slapped him across the face screaming "don't you touch my fucking girls". He took exception to this and went to hit her back whereupon he was set about by around a dozen locals. 

His lifeless body was the unceremoniously dumped outside for passers by to walk over. 

Next girl came on and calmness was restored.

We used to refer to it as the burger bar.

• Upvote 1

The flying Scotsman was boss. Now it's been replaced with some Gay hipster pub.

The Mayflower is genius. It looks like a pub from the Sweeney from the outside and it's like a Bootle childcare centre inside. The parents just get shit faced while their kids ride round on their bmx bikes inside the pub.

• Upvote 2

The flying Scotsman was boss. Now it's been replaced with some Gay hipster pub.

The Mayflower is genius. It looks like a pub from the Sweeney from the outside and it's like a Bootle childcare centre inside. The parents just get shit faced while their kids ride round on their bmx bikes inside the pub.

The Flying Scostman features heavily in the early pages of this thread. 

It's current version is not gay, but it is hipster. Shit.   

If this pub isn't featured in Once Were Warriors, it should have been.  Otara, South Auckland's finest hostelry.  Whenever I've driven past it, I always think of this thread.

You'll note, I am always in a passing car.

46764779b13b4b97415ae628738e3339_feature

On a Friday night it becomes a Night Club. 

I think this just means the jukebox is turned louder and the knife fights are delayed for an hour or so.

• Upvote 1