You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The King William in Canterbury is proof positive that; no matter how posh or idyllic the locale, I will find myself in its shittest, most dishevelled drinking house.

We drank there irregularly back in the 90s when we were students and 'The Willie' was still a bombsite. It was cheap, and they had a dartboard. Winner! One Saturday night we took the girls there, the very night 'Killer Ken' got out of jail for murder and was propping up the bar with tales of prison sex, shanking and whatnot. We retreated to the dartboard. We were decent but soon the girls were having a rough time of it from Ken's posse. It was proper shit. As we were about to leave the landlord said the darts team were needing a couple of players for the night and would we step in? We made our apologies, only for Ken to fix his steely gaze at us from across the bar and seethe "You're facking playing, boys. A Wight?". We sent the girls home. We beat their rivals at the darts and had a danger lock-in to raise the dead.

• Upvote 4

All the worst dive pubs on the estates in Runcorn have gradually closed.

Church Street Wine Bar in the Old Town however is without doubt the worst boozer I've yet to visit. It's on a main high street with regular shops, has huge glass windows so anyone passing can see who is in there, and is frequented by pissheads from breakfast til midnight. Most of them when you drive past look like they've just had some kind of terrible prognosis from the doctor.

It looks to be a pissheads paradise. I can only imagine the ale is very cheap.

• Upvote 3

Church Street Wine Bar in the Old Town however is without doubt the worst boozer I've yet to visit. It's on a main high street with regular shops, has huge glass windows so anyone passing can see who is in there, and is frequented by pissheads from breakfast til midnight. Most of them when you drive past look like they've just had some kind of terrible prognosis from the doctor.

I used to drink in there with my dad at least once a week. The ease with which you're able to buy and consume shit coke and whizz in there is a joy to behold. £1.50 a pint last time I drank there but that must have been at least five years ago. Ironically it was a few years after I stopped frequenting such establishments that I got my own terrible prognosis.

• Upvote 1

So true this.

I was working in Widnes a while back and got the X1 to runcorn and was waiting for a bus to take me to widnes.

While waiting for the bus this lad got off and wandered into the boozer.

You could tell he had just got his dole money. He had shit trackies on with dodgy bhs socks and just sat there by the window drinking away.

It was about 11am as well.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

So true this.

I was working in Widnes a while back and got the X1 to runcorn and was waiting for a bus to take me to widnes.

While waiting for the bus this lad got off and wandered into the boozer.

You could tell he had just got his dole money. He had shit trackies on with dodgy bhs socks and just sat there by the window drinking away.

It was about 11am as well.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

I often see bad bad meffs with trackie bottoms and a pair of really shit shoes stood outside having a fag. This look is often topped off with a really shit leather jacket that they must have bought from a charity shop or found in a skip.

Its shit when boozers like that go. Not aesthetically the nicest place for a pint granted but give me the Yankee or the Liffey over some cunt yard like Mcooleys anyway.

I often go in the Liffey when home I find it ok , is Mcphails still open?, about 10 years ago when the open was on at Birkdale

We couldn't.get anywhere and was told I was ok in Mcphails , put bags in room and.it was shit as fuck so after much stewing

in theGlobe.I had to sneak in and grab my bags and do one , probably more than 10 years ago.

Can't sy I've frequented the Penny Farthing despite alluring free bacon butty sign and I can't recall ever going in there in my Moonstone days

I often go in the Liffey when home I find it ok , is Mcphails still open?, about 10 years ago when the open was on at Birkdale

We couldn't.get anywhere and was told I was ok in Mcphails , put bags in room and.it was shit as fuck so after much stewing

in theGlobe.I had to sneak in and grab my bags and do one , probably more than 10 years ago.

Can't sy I've frequented the Penny Farthing despite alluring free bacon butty sign and I can't recall ever going in there in my Moonstone days

fuck me the Moonstone.  The pub for sweats.

Used to be a decent atmosphere in the Moonstone & some decent music , a bikers bar but never saw too much aggro.

A perfect night for a sixth former like me at the time & all within 50 yards.

- Moonstone early evening for a couple of hours

- Romeo & Juliets / Baileys / Top Rank or whatever it was called that week to bag off

- Ming Vase next door for a cheeky Chicken Maryland.

• Upvote 1

it was, I used to go there myself.  Lot of heavy rock.  There and the Sportsman  - two of my favourite music bars way back when

I was trying to think of he Sportsman as I used to go there myself , was it on the other side of St Johns opposite Lime St? or am I getting mixed up with another.

The Cave.was another subterranean haunt I think , Matthew St?

First pub for me was the Red Lion in Litherland which I suppose was a bit rough but again some good bands like Thunderboots etc , its much rougher now tbough , and the Kents which is now closed .

I say rough as opposed.to pubs here , you didn't know any different I suppose. Some bad ones around Seaforth I recall , a bleak area in itself , the Claremont ,now closed , and.the Doric.

I was trying to think of he Sportsman as I used to go there myself , was it on the other side of St Johns opposite Lime St? or am I getting mixed up with another.

The Cave.was another subterranean haunt I think , Matthew St?

No, that was another one - can't remember the name of that but it used to have bands on as well. The Sportsman was the one on the corner next to the Royal Court. They were all underground though.

The sportsman was the one with the racing car bolted upside down to the ceiling and if you could climb in it they'd give you a free pint . Several broken necks later they had to withdraw the offer

No, that was another one - can't remember the name of that but it used to have bands on as well. The Sportsman was the one on the corner next to the Royal Court. They were all underground though.

The sportsman was the one with the racing car bolted upside down to the ceiling and if you could climb in it they'd give you a free pint . Several broken necks later they had to withdraw the offer

Thought it was there , fucked if I can remember the one opposite the station it will be on my mind all day now , there's a paper shop roughly where it was.;