You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It's next to the train station, basically one big room that hasnt seen any paint since 1985, my mate ended up crying on the bogs in there when we did the Southport to Liverpool train ride/pub crawl because he realised he was too pissed to make it to town. The barmaid randomly walked in and said "stop crying you gay bastard - by the way you're cock is dead small"

Went past this on the bus a few weeks ago going to buy my trainers off Ezekiel 25:17. It's all boarded up now which is a shame, we defo need more pubs that are rough as fuck and the overweight slaggy looking barmaids wander into the mens toilets to comment on the size of their cocks.

Some girl in worsk said she was in the Liverpool Arms in Ford a few months back and said it was rough as arseholes, her and her mate were waiting in the doorway after phoning a taxi and two smackhead looking characters went out for a smoke and kept looking them up and down. One then walked up and said "YOU TWO LOOK LIKE A COUPLE OF FUCKING SLAAAAGGGS" and wandered back in. Just made me chuckle for some reason.

The Uplands Tavern in Swansea was a fucker of a boozer in the late ninties.

As wet behind the ears students, we went in there because it was right next to our flat, but used to spend the whole time sitting in a quiet corner avoiding eye contact with the locals. The main local nutter called Skip acted as a one man vigilante, ridding the place of anyone that didn't speak welsh. He glassed so many people it was ridiculous.

They had a bowling alley in there but it got closed down because Skip killed an old fella with a bowling ball.

Skip will probably be close to release around now - praise the lord I don't live in fucking Swansea anymore.

Really ...spent quite a bit of time in there between 98-00 and cant remember it being that bad . Maybe too oblivious

A bowling alley?

Skittles surely... you'd get a ball around the eardrum if you called it bowling down here.

Barley Mow in Tiverton is the most brutal local round my way probably. Although there are a few village pubs that would live up to it. In Exeter there's a place in Wonford (Burnt House Lane) that has a pretty intimidating atmosphere at times.

Its on the Donegal Road in Belfast just after the bridge, im not even mentioning the name for fear of being hunted down. More security doors than the maze and a caged tunnel on the way in. Felt like a rat run. The first and last time i was in there. The week after some girl was murdered in it, taken away, cut up and found in several bin bags.

Its on the Donegal Road in Belfast just after the bridge, im not even mentioning the name for fear of being hunted down. More security doors than the maze and a caged tunnel on the way in. Felt like a rat run. The first and last time i was in there. The week after some girl was murdered in it, taken away, cut up and found in several bin bags.

Well, if you don't do as you're told........

On a serious note. What the fuck?

Spill the beans Johnny

A bowling alley?

Skittles surely... you'd get a ball around the eardrum if you called it bowling down here.

Barley Mow in Tiverton is the most brutal local round my way probably. Although there are a few village pubs that would live up to it. In Exeter there's a place in Wonford (Burnt House Lane) that has a pretty intimidating atmosphere at times.

I don't really remember the Barley Mow being that bad tbh, but I can see how it could have its moments. Mind you, Tiverton does do a good line in rough pubs for such a small town. I always thought that the Half Moon had its moments, as did the Prince Regent and the boozer on Gold Street that was an Irish bar for a bit, but kept changing hands (not the Cross Keys). The Prince Blucher likewise I think also was a bit rough back in the day; not even sure it was still open when I used to frequent Tiverton.

Even the nicer pubs in Tiverton you could end up in a fight just for looking the wrong way. The Seven Stars springs to mind here, nice pub but I got threatened in there watching a game once.

You're right about Burnt House Lane though. Rough as fuck. The Turks Head was a belter in Exeter for Commando fights back in the day too.

haha! My mate used to live there. I''m not sure as to the pub you are talking about but I've probably been in it. I remember getting off the train at Botanic and heading up to his on my own. I hadn't thought that it being the 12th would make this road even more dangerous. The whole way up to his house, about a ten minute walk, I had people pissed out of their skull with carry outs in the street, grabbing my t shirt and squaring up to me as I walked past. Then I looked across the road and seen a crowd of fellas staring at me then had to quickly duck as as full can of Carling flew past my head. Horrible place.

The Lion and Unicorn isn't that rough but my mate got filled in by a gang of 11-12 year olds there in about 2004.

He was walking up past Waterloo train station and a gang of kids on bikes shouted "haha look at him with the blonde hair, he looks like a right gay twat", my mate confronted them and basically tried to pass himself off as some sort of hard case, they shut up and left him alone.

He walked futher up to the Lion and Unicorn pub but then they all started charging towards him do my mate thought he'd leg it into the pub to get way from this angry mob of 11 year olds on BMX's - he got to the pub doorway when one tripped him up and they all dived on him punching and kicking him and ripped his shirt, then one came from the back and slammed a BMX onto his head which cut the top of his eyebrow open slightly. He managed to get away and into the pub after punching one or two of them in the face.

When he got to the bar some of his mates and the regulars looked at his cut head and ripped shirt and were worried - he said "I've just been battered by a gang of about ten lads". The others in the pub rolled up their sleeves and slammed their pints down and said "right we'll all go out and do the cunts, there's enough of us to take them". My mate said rather sheepishly "no, er, you can't do that" - the others asked why and he said "Cos erm, they were only 12" - cue the entire pub roaring with laughter.

Brilliant, brilliant and brilliant! Absolutely rolling reading this thread, fantastic stuff!

haha! My mate used to live there. I''m not sure as to the pub you are talking about but I've probably been in it. I remember getting off the train at Botanic and heading up to his on my own. I hadn't thought that it being the 12th would make this road even more dangerous. The whole way up to his house, about a ten minute walk, I had people pissed out of their skull with carry outs in the street, grabbing my t shirt and squaring up to me as I walked past. Then I looked across the road and seen a crowd of fellas staring at me then had to quickly duck as as full can of Carling flew past my head. Horrible place.

if you've been in this pub you would know it. Rat run cage and several doors to get down to it. It was on the news about this incident. I still cant believe i was in it the week before.

• 1 month later...

Have not read every reply in the thread so apolgies if this has already been mentioned.

Has anyone ever been in the Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross in London. Very small pub with a kind of horshoe bar. There is a partition of sorts which seperates the main bar from the back room (about the size of a large bedroom). A variety of young ladies of all shapes,sizes and vaginal furriness take thier clothes of on a stage about the size of a double bed. Before they go on stage they parade through the bar in some underwear with a pint glass into which you are expected to cast some money prior to watching them undress. Woe betide you if you do not contribute and subsequently take in the show.

There are no seats. The best vantage point is at the back of the bar next to the door from the changing rooms. This is directly next to the stage and at some point you are gaurenteed to be as close to the woman in questions crinkly bits as is possible without facing charges. On one occasion this city spiv mistook this intimacy as an invite to help himself to the goods on display. The slap he recieved sounded like it had snapped his neck. The bouncer (until now unseen) obviously decided this was an insufficient punishment and set about him big style. When finished he casually drageed him to the front door and deposited him outside just in front of a couple of patrons who were entering. "A grabber" asked one. "Yes" replied the bouncer. "Fucking idiot" said the other.

We call it the "pie shop".

I'm doing the Southport to Liverpool train ride/pub crawl in October, can anyone recommend and shit tip boozer/Mos Eisley Cantina bar type pubs round Bankhall & Sandhills? - All the other stops are sorted apart from Hall Road & Hillside.

I'm doing it Saturday Rob, not sure on what boozers though, there used to be a pub which was open briefly called 'twist and squeeze' and another one called Buddys where my friend was threatened with a screwdriver, nice, by Bank Hall.

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17

• 1 month later...

Did the Liverpool-Southport pub crawl last Friday, it was hilarious, although the best time to do it is in the summer as a lot of the pubs between Southport and Crosby have nice, big beer gardens. Sat in 2 but the weather was a bit chilly.

Hillside and Hall Road have no pubs nearby whatsoever so me and my mates bought a load of Oranjeboom from the Beer Shop on Lord Street in Southport, we even got a free bottle opener. Had a pint at each stop and

swug Oranjeboom in the waiting rooms at the stops. Make sure you start in Southport and end up in town or you'll end up like me when I did it 5 years ago walking all the way back from Southport to Crosby because I

couldn't get a taxi for love nor money. Felt like David Banner at the end of the Hulk TV series walking down the Formby bypass.

My mate cleared a busy carriage out about 7pm between Waterloo and Seaforth by pretending to spew up in my carrier bag full of beer, a load of goths and emos nearby got up in disgust and sat at the end of the carriage. Had a fight with a vending machine at Bootle Strand Station because my packet of McCoys got stuck on the dispenser ring, some random fella came up and bought another pack and mine fell down which made me feel quite silly.

After Crosby you notice the pubs get gradually rougher. The Railway at Seaforth was full of smackheads, schoolkids and people selling socks and razorblades, this was at 6 o clock, couldn't get near the pool table as

there were about 10 BMX's parked up next to it. Wasn't expecting it to be this rough as I went a few years ago and the only problem they had there were people robbing stools from there so they could sit off on them outside their house.

The Mayflower (back of Bootle Strand) looks like a pub out of the Sweeney because it hasn't been touched since 1977, was expecting John Thaw and Dennis Waterman to be grabbing a grass by his kipper tie by the jukebox and threatening him. It had a life-size dummy of Uncle Fester behind the bar and the first thing the barman "are you on a pub crawl?", the sinister and fat regulars stared at us non stop, especially when we nicked a photo of Rod Stewart off the wall toput up in the next pub.

The Wyndham hotel is opposite Bank Hall Station and is populated by tracky wearers, we were there about 10pm on a Friday and no one had made an effort to even wear any going out attire, we got kicked out of one

room as they were playing some pub from Norris Green at darts so probably there would have been a scrap at some point.

Pitch & Pine was rough and just seems to be the living room for everyone who lives in the 3 roads adjoining it, however the locals were quite friendly and it has a good supply of pork scratchings though. The Bank Hall Hotel would have been ideal but it is derelict and has no roof. Tried to find the Banjo but sacked it off as we had to walk to the bottom of some rough road full of pit bulls and north faced up scalls.

Anyway, here's a list of stations and pubs if anyone ever fancies doing it, most have pubs nearby, by the time I got to Sandhills we were all too gassed and couldn't be bothered looking round the Dock Road for a pub, we managed to get some ale from the pub at Bank Hall.

Southport - Latin Lounge (2 minutes walk)

Birkdale - Park Hotel (1 minute walk)

Hillside - a rather nice waiting room with chilled music

Ainsdale - The Railway (5 minutes walk)

Freshfield - Freshfield Hotel (5 minutes walk)

Formby - The Railway (1 minute walk)

Hightown - Hightown Hotel (1 minute walk)

Hall Road - No pubs near it, waiting room again

Blundellsands & Crosby - The Birkey (5/6 minutes walk)

Waterloo - The Alex (1 minute walk)

Seaforth - The Railway (1 minute walk)

Bootle Strand - (The Mayflower, 5 minutes walk)

Bootle Oriel Road - The Wyndham Hotel (1 minute walk)

Bank Hall - The Pitch and Pine (5 minutes)

Sandhills - Waiting room

Moorfields - The Vernon Arms (Dale Street, 2 minutes walk)

Central - The Globe

Managed to stay on my feet and went home at 12 due to tiredness, nearly fell asleep in Flares in Mathew Street. My mate challenged us to carry on until Hunts Cross, but who wants to end up gassed in Hunts Cross?. Went to Mathew Street and had 2 pints, got a taxi home but ended up sounding like Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot when telling the taxi driver where I lived. Even survived the cab ride without spewing up.

I totalled up what I ate to try and keep myself sober and it was:

1 Carrot and Coriander Soup (dinner)

1 Gammon Steak & Chips (dinner)

10 spicy chicken wings from wingbox in Crosby (tea)

13 packets of crisps

3 packets of pork scratchings

2 packets of Scampi fries (consumed over several stops)

1 Burger King Bacon Double Cheeseburger meal (pre taxi meal)

I'd love to know the calorie count on that lot. Weightwatchers eat your

heart out.

Going to do the Chester to Liverpool one next year, might miss out

Birkenhead though!

It's probably been mentioned but I ended up in the One O'Clock gun on the Ford Estate in Birkenhead about 20 years ago and that was an experience. I don't think rough even begins to describe it. What a fucking shit hole.

When I was on the ships, we docked in Puerto Limon in Costa Rica and basically just headed for the nearest bar which was the normal thing to do. Literally all the locals, just sat and stared at us for the whole time we were there. We had two drinks and left. About 15 minutes after we'd gone, armed gunmen came and held the place up and robbed some other crewmembers who were daft enough to stay there. I'm convinced someone just contacted their mates and said get down here quick, there's a few quid sat in the bar.