You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Did you see my thread "Woohoo for Celebrities". Do you remember Rosie's on the front?

It is now a nightclub and they had Abi Titmuss on the first night and Callum Best on the second.

I didn't go, the thrill of meeting such sublimely-talented individuals would have been too much for me.

The taxi driver who picked us up last night claimed there was a huge queue's of girls trying to get in last night. Obviously for Callum.

Fuck me, I always remember being secretly quite please with the fact that, unlike my mates, at 16 I looked about 14 and didn't have to even pretent to want to get involved in the weekly lottery of which poor cunt would be put in hospital by the bouncers. Went back when I was a bit older once and pissed myself at some gobby kid who was giving me shit (for his bird trying to get some Monty love and me apparently not telling her no forcefully enough) getting filled in after throwing a punch at an off-duty bouncer who told him to pipe down. Ah the memories, the horrible, Vietnamesque, flashback memories.

Jolly Brewer in murdishaw. Didn't feel particularly rough but there was quite a bit of open drug taking, few strange folks in there as well, especially a woman called 'Queenie' a woman pushing 60 who had a penchant for getting her tits out.

I'm told their pool matches against the Burma Star were the stuff of pub violence legend.

I can't think of any especially rough pubs off the top of my head, but I've been living here for two years now and haven't yet ventured into my local. I reckon it's a bit of a roughhouse. It's called the Lord Nelson, so it even sounds like one of those places.

I can't think of any especially rough pubs off the top of my head, but I've been living here for two years now and haven't yet ventured into my local. I reckon it's a bit of a roughhouse. It's called the Lord Nelson, so it even sounds like one of those places.

I'd imagine a man of your conversation lilt has pub violence following him round like a cartoon cloud anyway SD?

• Upvote 1

I agree. Was in thier once when a lad on a big fuckoff motorbike came in one door and road through the bar and out the other door. The boss (a Mr Stockley) I believe did not look up from behind the bar.

Another time I nearly got stabbed for calling someones ciggies fags.

Didn't Peter Stockley do time for Manslaughter? Anyway I don't know what the Oak Tree is like up that neck of the woods nowadays but a few years ago when it was a Wetherspoons, the staff were threatened not to clean the tops of the toilet cisterns with any detergent coz the local druggies could taste it when they were snorting their lines of Charlie! Lovely .

Didn't Peter Stockley do time for Manslaughter? Anyway I don't know what the Oak Tree is like up that neck of the woods nowadays but a few years ago when it was a Wetherspoons, the staff were threatened not to clean the tops of the toilet cisterns with any detergent coz the local druggies could taste it when they were snorting their lines of Charlie! Lovely .

Genius. I went the Oak Tree on Boxing Day to watch the Liverpool-Blackburn game and the Everton game was on the other screen, it was like being in no mans land between two sides shooting at each other in a war, proper angry atmosphere and stuff getting lashed left right & centre. I went in for a game a few weeks before and people were sounding me out to see if I was a copper.

My mate's Dad owns the Red Lion in Seaforth, there was some mentalist who used to go round the pubs in Seaforth deliberately getting battered, he got done over in the Salt Box and Ma Kents then a week later he decided to go in and give my mates dad a load of racial abuse. He didn't bank on him being an ex-para and boxing coach, plus his 3 sons were all in there and had a go at filling him in. I don't know of anyone who manages to go out with the sole intention of getting their head kicked in - apart from Suicidal Sid in the Viz.

Being 6 ft tall and pushing 20 stone helps in that regard :thumbup:

Fucking hell, mate - you need to lose some weight (and I speak as 15 stone six two-er - hardly lacking in the extra poundage, myself). And I'd watch that angry streak of yours, too. Your ticker could give out at any minute!

The Pen & Wig in town is rough, went there after a Christmas office party and some guy had been snorting coke off one of the tables - there was only him and my mates who I went with in there. The bouncers absolutely hammered him everywhere. The only problem was that because he had snorted so much Gianluca Vialli he kept getting up even when he had been smashed really hard in the face, it was like watching Jason in Friday the 13th, anyway after 5 beatings he got thrown out into the street with blood splattered all over his white tracky - we got told to leave and saw him sprawled out on the pavement outside, the coppers came past and said "Do you know anything about this lads?" - we just pretended that we never saw a thing.

No longer with us, but the Eagle and Child in Page Moss takes some beating. I was in there once and they had a Mouse Racing track set up with everyone betting on these mice. It was all going well until some nutcase tried to eat all the mice for a bet and all hell broke loose.

I never went in there much but apparantly that was just a normal night.

My mums neighbour ran that place for a while, one summer a local complained that the place was too hot, could a window be opened, when told that the decorators has painted over the frame and it was stuck the lad just picked up a chair threw it through the window and said "well it effin fixed now" and carried on drinking.

Mind you I remember discovering the bar in the Peacock in Kirkby there every piece of furniture was screwed to the floor.

Fucking hell, mate - you need to lose some weight (and I speak as 15 stone six two-er - hardly lacking in the extra poundage, myself). And I'd watch that angry streak of yours, too. Your ticker could give out at any minute!

Yeah, yeah, tell me something I don't know. However I'm never going to weigh less than 15 stone just because of the way I am built (to give you an idea - even at the weight I am, my chest is still considerably larger than my waist).

My dad was a relief pub manager for many years before he retired. I once asked him what was the roughest boozer he'd worked in, he replied without any deliberation whatsoever that it was a toss up between the Bidston (Wirral) and the Flying Saucer (Speke). This was a few years ago now though.

The first pair of tits I ever saw was due to a fight outside that pub, walking back from school, two women scrapping, one of them ended up with her tits flopping everywhere. It scarred me for life, I was only 8/9. The Abbotsford is pretty grim too.

I saw my first pair of tits around that age, coincidentally.

Unfortunately it was at Anfield and Babb and Harkness were at the back.

Thinking about it I've been to loads of rough boozers and its not like I enjoy it or anything, some of the worst include,

Back Home:

Castle - seaforth (right there Doctor Troy)

Brown Cow - On the Dock Road

at Uni (Birmingham)

The Earl Grey - Pershore Road (now closed)

The Crown and Cushion in Perry Barr(now changed has and okay-ish)

The Irish Bar in Erdington (can't recall the full name)

others

The Seafield in Hove

The Amersham Arms in New Cross, South London

I could go on but won't

The Lobster in Croxteth is rough - went in there with my Dad ages ago, he used to play for them in the 60's & 70's and it was like the bit in American werewolf in London where they go into the weird pub at the start. They only stopped staring at us when someone recognised my Dad and started talking to him about teh good old days.

Went in the Wellington up in Wavertree one afternoon last year. One half of the bar was in complete darkness - you only knew there was anyone there because of the glowing tips of their cigarettes. There was a gang of teenage mothers pissed with their prams next to them and it looked like there was some bullet-holes in the wall above the bar.

Guest PaddyBerger15

The Crown and Cushion in Perry Barr(now changed has and okay-ish)

The Irish Bar in Erdington (can't recall the full name)

Did you mean The Crossways mate in Erdington mate ?

The Crown and Cushion was ok the couple of times I went into it when my mates were at Uni there....got done up and seemed fairly plush by Perry Bar standards...my mates lived on Stoneleigh Street/Road or summat like that...the Crown was just up the road.

That Crossways alehouse is as rough as fuck. Even the darts stop in mid-air to look at you when you walk in. Hardly a stick of furniture in the place, and what there was, was nailed down. Bars and grills all over the windows, blood on the door handles. It was on either School or College Lane in Erdington as I recall....was spoken of as 'an IRA pub' at the time.....obviously we didnt know any of this when we first went it....the atmosphere was none too friendly shall we say, but we got served when they saw we had That Petrol Emotion tshirts on after seeing them at the Irish Centre in Digbeth.

Did you mean The Crossways mate in Erdington mate ?

The Crown and Cushion was ok the couple of times I went into it when my mates were at Uni there....got done up and seemed fairly plush by Perry Bar standards...my mates lived on Stoneleigh Street/Road or summat like that...the Crown was just up the road.

That Crossways alehouse is as rough as fuck. Even the darts stop in mid-air to look at you when you walk in. Hardly a stick of furniture in the place, and what there was, was nailed down. Bars and grills all over the windows, blood on the door handles. It was on either School or College Lane in Erdington as I recall....was spoken of as 'an IRA pub' at the time.....obviously we didnt know any of this when we first went it....the atmosphere was none too friendly shall we say, but we got served when they saw we had That Petrol Emotion tshirts on after seeing them at the Irish Centre in Digbeth.

It could be the Crossways, truth is it was about 7 years ago and I've forgotton the name. It may have been near College Lane or Holly Lane not sure now, it was never my really my stomping ground.

When I walked in there with about 7 mates, the music literally stopped, everyone turned round and gave us a flithy look. I walked up to the bar ordered a pint and the pub started up again. But for about 30 seconds I was thinking, shall we just turn and run. About 9 o'clock they started a disco and it was pushchair mum-tastic.

The Crown and Cushion had improved in recent years. In my first year it was still a shit hole and supposedly connected to various gangs and I think had been raided for an IRA weapons cache. The when i returned for second or third year (memory failing a bit) it had become an It's a Scream and improved no end.

The Eagle and Child. I remember one time there (mate of mine was a regular, so I was safe to nip in with him. Wouldn't have dared on my tod...) , a lorry full of leather coats got knocked off whilst parked outside there. The next day, the police tentatively go in there asking if anyone seen anything. Almost all of the regulars, all wearing suspiciously shiny new leather coats, denied seeing anything...

My roughest regular pub was The Grapes on Renshaw Street, now ripped out, decorated and called The Old Dispensary.

We used to make "Home made AIDS" by scooping water out of the ladies bogs, freezing it in an ice cube tray, and serving it up to anyone who dared come in and ask for a drink with ice...

Had many a good night in there, asleep on the pool table overnight, to be woken up by Madge or Mark with a few rounds of toast and a pint...

I was lucky, I was one of the accepted ones in there. God help anyone else...

Notable mention to The Quiet Man, in Pagey. If there was ever a pub with a misleading name....

Guest PaddyBerger15

The Crown and Cushion had improved in recent years. In my first year it was still a shit hole and supposedly connected to various gangs and I think had been raided for an IRA weapons cache. The when i returned for second or third year (memory failing a bit) it had become an It's a Scream and improved no end.

The first time I went into the C&C would have been about 1992 I reckon, it wasnt too bad then, I think it did go down the shitter. When I did visit Brum, we used to drink in The Duck from time to time, that was ok as I recall. Some of the drinkers in Selly Oak were a real cultural paradise, made the Crossways in Erdington look like a fun pub. There was called the Dog And Partridge (I think) and that was a gangs/weapons/knocked off gear/underworld shithole....made the alehouses off and around Park Road look nice.

The first time I went into the C&C would have been about 1992 I reckon, it wasnt too bad then, I think it did go down the shitter. When I did visit Brum, we used to drink in The Duck from time to time, that was ok as I recall. Some of the drinkers in Selly Oak were a real cultural paradise, made the Crossways in Erdington look like a fun pub. There was called the Dog And Partridge (I think) and that was a gangs/weapons/knocked off gear/underworld shithole....made the alehouses off and around Park Road look nice.

I first went in the C&C in 1996, and it was terrible. Mind you the chippy near the station used to deal in those days, so it was

The worst from my list in brum was the Earl Grey in Balsall Heath. It was the scariest place I've ever been in. There was always deals going down outside despite being virtually opposite a police station (which closed at 6 - probably through fear). There was no decoration except for a poster of Clive Lloyd on the wall, no furniture, basin pulled of the wall and the johnny machine hanging off the wall.

As far as we knew, only me, a couple of mates and the local drunk were the only white lads to have stepped foot in the place and lived. We only went it for a drunken dare, we passed it most days when I lived in Edgbaston in second year and decided it couldn't be as bad as the reputation, it was.

The Irish boozer next to Digbeth coach station was a corker as well, I took my mum in there, class or what?