You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 13/01/2019 at 04:31, viRdjil said:

Will do mate. I loved it there. The town is very picturesque. We went out to this nice restaurant called Scran & Scallie and had probably one of the best meals I’ve had in the UK there. Went back last year and took my parents who were visiting. Did a bit of a drive up the highlands to Glen Coe. Amazeballs.

Clear shit stirring action here Ardja, or is it a gender fluid moment?

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Fairways bar in Dundee, early 80s...

FB_IMG_1554585657892.jpg

You should have seen the fairways in Halewood, back in the 80’s.

someone took the hall of an unused 1960’s girls comp, and stuck in a bar and a few snooker tables.

most of th rest of the school was predominantly abandoned other than the god bothered who used to meet their every Sunday, and someone ran karate lessons in the gym.

absolutely rough as arseholes, I got dragged home by the bizzies aged about 12 for putting the windows through with a couple of other ne’er do wells from Speke.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, General Dryness said:

"Right, that wee Greedo got shoat, and nae cunts leavin here till ah find oot whit cunt did it".

This begbie line might not be quite right for the locale as having worked with some dundonians they use cunt as a term of endearment. "Hoo ya daein ya cunt?" etc.

On 12/01/2019 at 17:25, Mook said:

I was barred from Diane's, I told Diane to fuck off when I was about 20 & a bit of a fanny & never went back. It was a good place though, definitely a bit lively at times. An Edinburgh institution.

Unfortunately it shut down about 18 months back & has been turned into the worst plastic paddy shithole known to man.

If you make it up again before you head home, give us a shout.

Missed this. I was a member of Diane's for many years. It was rough round the edges but friendly. It had a bit of a rep but I never saw any real trouble in there, largely because it was well run and proper dickheads weren't welcome. 

20p for a frame and pretty much the cheapest pint in central Edinburgh. Plus a liberal attitude to a wee joint. Had loads of good nights in there in my youth.

Sorely missed. As Mook says, it's replacement is a fucking monstrosity. Eeurgh.

• Upvote 2

On 27/05/2007 at 18:55, Strontium Dog said:

Yeah, yeah, tell me something I don't know. However I'm never going to weigh less than 15 stone just because of the way I am built (to give you an idea - even at the weight I am, my chest is still considerably larger than my waist).

Fat cunt 

Was driving round Halewood the other day and saw this place. Looks almost as bad as that place in Dundee. The Grenadier pub. They were advertising for weddings and christenings there. Imagine the fighting after a few drinks.

Looks like a caravan from Rhyl has landed on there after a Hurricane.

5bd98eae8d73a_original.jpeg.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Was driving round Halewood the other day and saw this place. Looks almost as bad as that place in Dundee. The Grenadier pub. They were advertising for weddings and christenings there. Imagine the fighting after a few drinks.

Been some excelllent scraps in there over the years.

been there for a few family funerals as lived down the road.

watched the alaves final there

it wasn’t a bad place in the 70s or 80s but as the state went down hill, the boozer fucking nose dived

over 60s getting a nose full these days I believe

On 12/01/2019 at 17:31, viRdjil said:

Will do mate. I loved it there. The town is very picturesque. We went out to this nice restaurant called Scran & Scallie and had probably one of the best meals I’ve had in the UK there. Went back last year and took my parents who were visiting. Did a bit of a drive up the highlands to Glen Coe. Amazeballs. 

zomg.gif

17 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

You should have seen the fairways in Halewood, back in the 80’s.

someone took the hall of an unused 1960’s girls comp, and stuck in a bar and a few snooker tables.

most of th rest of the school was predominantly abandoned other than the god bothered who used to meet their every Sunday, and someone ran karate lessons in the gym.

absolutely rough as arseholes, I got dragged home by the bizzies aged about 12 for putting the windows through with a couple of other ne’er do wells from Speke.

I didn't know they still deported criminal kids, Art?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Spoke to some couple before who wanted to do the Southport to Liverpool train pub crawl. Basically once you pass Waterloo the pubs dramatically drop in quality.

This one is the Mayflower at the back of Bootle Strand.  Utter shithole but the locals are friendly. My mate won a leg of lamb in a raffle there.  It has tons of kids in there because their parents are too lazy to arrange childcare. It is also like a jarg San Carlo with pictures on the wall of celebrities who have visited there. They range from Stan Boardman, Ricky Tomlinson and weirdest of all, Fernando Torres. 

Dominated by a shite seventies tower block, Carling and Coors Light on tap and a lifesize dummy of Uncle Fester from the Addams family behind the bar. I'd be gutted if it ever got shut though.

28592298141_cc5c025f09_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Don't judge a book by it's cover,great local pub this,a bastion of a certain sport team who wear red.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Spoke to some couple before who wanted to do the Southport to Liverpool train pub crawl. Basically once you pass Waterloo the pubs dramatically drop in quality.

This one is the Mayflower at the back of Bootle Strand.  Utter shithole but the locals are friendly. My mate won a leg of lamb in a raffle there.  It has tons of kids in there because their parents are too lazy to arrange childcare. It is also like a jarg San Carlo with pictures on the wall of celebrities who have visited there. They range from Stan Boardman, Ricky Tomlinson and weirdest of all, Fernando Torres. 

Dominated by a shite seventies tower block, Carling and Coors Light on tap and a lifesize dummy of Uncle Fester from the Addams family behind the bar. I'd be gutted if it ever got shut though.

28592298141_cc5c025f09_b.jpg

Used to drink in there a bit with a couple of mates when I worked in a bank in the Strand in the mid noughties and would concur with the good Doctor that it was a fairly friendly place. The manager quite liked us coming in , I suppose he thought we elevated the place with our suits.

There was a far grimmer place actually in the Strand right by the front entrance that is nearest Yatesies. Can't remember its name but as you walked past it you could see into it via some of those horrible coloured bubble glass bricks that were straight out of the 70's.

Our main haunt was the Hyper Bar over on the other side of Stanley Road. Watched one of the World Club Champion games from Japan we qualified for through Istanbul , Vaguely remember Gerrard and Crouchie scoring and being totally pissed in work by mid-morning.

Used to drink in there a bit with a couple of mates when I worked in a bank in the Strand in the mid noughties and would concur with the good Doctor that it was a fairly friendly place. The manager quite liked us coming in , I suppose he thought we elevated the place with our suits.

There was a far grimmer place actually in the Strand right by the front entrance that is nearest Yatesies. Can't remember its name but as you walked past it you could see into it via some of those horrible coloured bubble glass bricks that were straight out of the 70's.

Our main haunt was the Hyper Bar over on the other side of Stanley Road. Watched one of the World Club Champion games from Japan we qualified for through Istanbul , Vaguely remember Gerrard and Crouchie scoring and being totally pissed in work by mid-morning.

Would that be the Star?. Near the entrance to the Triad building?. I went in there once and it was full of old people who had done their shopping in the Strand and had got shit faced.  The place was so dark you needed night vision goggles.

The good old Hyper bar. One of the first places to show dodgy satellite streams for the Liverpool games. Used to work with some girl who worked as a barmaid in there of a weekend. Blonde girl with massive tits. 

• Upvote 1