You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Western Approaches' date=' The Dog & Gun, The Stand Farm all in Crocky. The Dog & Gun and The Stand Farm got closed down because they found smack/coke, you name it, behind the bar and they were selling it. I remember being about 17 in the Western Approaches and you could buy anything in there. A couple of horrible scallies I know got kicked out the Stand Farm, they came back and ram raided a fiesta through the front door! Funnily enough, they're all closed down now. Good riddance.[/quote']

Do you remember about 10 years ago in the Western , when part of the ceiling in the lounge collapsed. It was at lunchtime and there were about 4 old guys in the place watching the racing.

Word got round however & before the ambulances arrived , half of Crocky was lying groaning on the floor with bits of wood and plaster around them demanding compo. Because there wasn't enough rubble to go round , some people even nipped over to Jem DIY and bought their own stuff to throw over themselves.

It's still open as far as I am aware & I always chuckle when driving past seeing the ' Come to the Western , Crocky's famous family pub ' banner.

• 5 months later...
Not specifically violent, but a pub down the docks called the Hangman where they had strippers on at lunchtimes. Went there for 'research' purposes (I was organising a do which required an exotic dancer) and the first time we just missed the stripper. When I asked the barman about the act he was quite effusive, explaining that she was called 'Twix Fits' after an internal confectionary trick, and showed us the 'podium' (a sheet of plywood on beercrates) where she'd been, complete with a Twix wrapper, yoghurt pot and talc everywhere. When I asked where the Twix was he said "Oh, some old fella ate it"!

I actually remember 'Twix fits' from my misspent youth and her act was quite artistic (!) before the malarkey with the disappearing Twix bar. She came on first wearing a proper brides outfit with posy and veil. And the time I watched she ate the Twix bar herself!

My boozing days are long since behind me, being a quiet old fart of a family man now. However...trying hard to remember the names of some of thses dives - the Woodpecker on County Road, Kirkby in the 70's bottle fights and someone guinea pig juggling - as he dropped one someone drop kicked it behind the bar and it was no more. One bloke picked a fight with a fruit nmachine - the fruit machine won when it fell on him. I was sitting at the bar with my elder brother one day waiting for a mate when an axe came through the window and buried itself in the 'knee' part of the duckboarded bar precisely in between us 'I see that cunt's back' said the barman.

There was another pub somewhere along the dock road in the direction of the octagonal clock in amongst some old fruit warehouses - long since demolished, called I think 'The Stevedore's rest' or something like that - that used to be OK for a snifter after a visit to the all-night pie van that used to be at the Pier Head, even the cops avoided the place. Someone actually had a crap in the middle of the floor one night - a sailor I think...some docker waited for him to finish, said something then decked him and pushed his face in it. Some Norwegian sailor came in looking for a girl another night and emptied a big old six-shooter pistol at the bar when he couldn't find her. We must have been mad going into places like that.

The Throstles Nest - that used to be as rough as a bears chuff as well - I can remember a group of fat old middle aged blokes in one corner trying to burn patterns into the wallpaper by lighting their farts, pants down.

Liverpool - City of Culture ;)

No longer with us, but the Eagle and Child in Page Moss takes some beating. I was in there once and they had a Mouse Racing track set up with everyone betting on these mice. It was all going well until some nutcase tried to eat all the mice for a bet and all hell broke loose.

I never went in there much but apparantly that was just a normal night.

hehe, I remeber that place well. You could get anything in there from a suit to A level certificates in there. Once they had a raffle for a leg of lamb and the winner wasn't there. A fight broke out and the barman ended up running along the bar twatting people with the leg of lamb. The Hillside was another lively place too

My boozing days are long since behind me, being a quiet old fart of a family man now. However...trying hard to remember the names of some of thses dives - the Woodpecker on County Road, Kirkby in the 70's bottle fights and someone guinea pig juggling - as he dropped one someone drop kicked it behind the bar and it was no more. One bloke picked a fight with a fruit nmachine - the fruit machine won when it fell on him. I was sitting at the bar with my elder brother one day waiting for a mate when an axe came through the window and buried itself in the 'knee' part of the duckboarded bar precisely in between us 'I see that cunt's back' said the barman.

There was another pub somewhere along the dock road in the direction of the octagonal clock in amongst some old fruit warehouses - long since demolished, called I think 'The Stevedore's rest' or something like that - that used to be OK for a snifter after a visit to the all-night pie van that used to be at the Pier Head, even the cops avoided the place. Someone actually had a crap in the middle of the floor one night - a sailor I think...some docker waited for him to finish, said something then decked him and pushed his face in it. Some Norwegian sailor came in looking for a girl another night and emptied a big old six-shooter pistol at the bar when he couldn't find her. We must have been mad going into places like that.

The Throstles Nest - that used to be as rough as a bears chuff as well - I can remember a group of fat old middle aged blokes in one corner trying to burn patterns into the wallpaper by lighting their farts, pants down.

Liverpool - City of Culture ;)

Haha.

The Uplands Tavern in Swansea was a fucker of a boozer in the late ninties.

As wet behind the ears students, we went in there because it was right next to our flat, but used to spend the whole time sitting in a quiet corner avoiding eye contact with the locals. The main local nutter called Skip acted as a one man vigilante, ridding the place of anyone that didn't speak welsh. He glassed so many people it was ridiculous.

They had a bowling alley in there but it got closed down because Skip killed an old fella with a bowling ball.

Skip will probably be close to release around now - praise the lord I don't live in fucking Swansea anymore.

Went to a boozer in some weird little town near Nottingham a few years ago that had a boxing ring upstairs for punters to settle their differences.

That was a new experience for me.

So, you bummed someones bird/sister/mother/daughter/niece and then had to Tom Ross deathmatch the guy upstairs?

the bloodtub in the northend of birkenhead has got to be a contender. the place was open 24 hours! there was always people selling/taking drugs at all hours. and the floor was sticky as fuck coated in blood!!!! not forgeting the smack-heads selling whatever they'd robbed from the kwik save over the road.

That was the New Dock, Bloodtub was a nickname I think, could be a previous name for all I know. Was a nice art deco building, never thought the customers appreciated that though.

As already mentioned the Oyster Catcher in Leasowe and the One O'Clock Gun (previously the Buccaneer??) on the Ford Estate which is ok if you like squalor.

Edited by kelster

The Scots Grey?

Fuck knows. It was about five years ago.

It was in some little town called Bellwich or Bullwich or something. We were staying at a hotel and conference centre thing just down the road off teh motorway and thought we'd venture in to town for a few nice pints.

Fail.

In the late 90s i ended up at a pub called the Liverpool Arms or something like that in Cali, Columbia. The landlord was a red so we were having a good old natter and a pleasant beer or 2. Eventually a couple of rich looking Columbian guys joined in and seemed like nice blokes and all went well. So much so that we all piled back to one of their houses which was packed with charlie, high end whores and champagne.

Turns out that they were big wigs in the gangster business but by the time i'd worked that one out it ws too far gone to do anything apart from go with the flow.

Cracking night in the end

In the late 90s i ended up at a pub called the Liverpool Arms or something like that in Cali, Columbia. The landlord was a red so we were having a good old natter and a pleasant beer or 2. Eventually a couple of rich looking Columbian guys joined in and seemed like nice blokes and all went well. So much so that we all piled back to one of their houses which was packed with charlie, high end whores and champagne.

Turns out that they were big wigs in the gangster business but by the time i'd worked that one out it ws too far gone to do anything apart from go with the flow.

Cracking night in the end

I think you're looking for the boss nights out you didn't plan thread!

That was the New Dock, Bloodtub was a nickname I think, could be a previous name for all I know. Was a nice art deco building, never thought the customers appreciated that though.

As already mentioned the Oyster Catcher in Leasowe and the One O'Clock Gun (previously the Buccaneer??) on the Ford Estate which is ok if you like squalor.

Different pubs, mate. The Buccaneer was bulldozed in the early 90s. It was on 6th ave by the shops (remember the old Alcatraz Kwikky that had no windows and a big steel door?) and the Gun (if it's still open) is on 7th Ave near the footy cage.

Fuck knows. It was about five years ago.

It was in some little town called Bellwich or Bullwich or something. We were staying at a hotel and conference centre thing just down the road off teh motorway and thought we'd venture in to town for a few nice pints.

Fail.

That's the one. Bullwell.

Rough as fuck.

They've got a f***ball team that played some final at Anfield lately and brought a load of punters along who were well up for it. Think it was a Crocky team they played?

Different pubs, mate. The Buccaneer was bulldozed in the early 90s. It was on 6th ave by the shops (remember the old Alcatraz Kwikky that had no windows and a big steel door?) and the Gun (if it's still open) is on 7th Ave near the footy cage.

I'm thinking the Buccaneer then. Never went near the Gun. I went in the Buccaneer twice. Once cause I didn't know better and the second because I'm a bit dull like that.

where i live in dublin there was a pub i drank in as a teenager called the cabra house the auld fellas use to eat there dinner there wives brought down in the toilets . even thought there is a smoking ban they still smoke in it the cops wont go near it and there are sex sessions a plenty!! in the toilets as well

• 1 year later...

BUMP

The Boundary on Pilch Lane in Dovecot has been razed to the ground after they discovered a Heroin factory above it, the Bow and Arrow in Dovecot is still being "redeveloped" and has been for 2 years. The Red Lion in Prescot is fucking awful and everyone in there wears Adidas equipment gear like it is 1991.

Anyone been into any new rough pubs recently?

It's next to the train station, basically one big room that hasnt seen any paint since 1985, my mate ended up crying on the bogs in there when we did the Southport to Liverpool train ride/pub crawl because he realised he was too pissed to make it to town. The barmaid randomly walked in and said "stop crying you gay bastard - by the way you're cock is dead small"

It's next to the train station, basically one big room that hasnt seen any paint since 1985, my mate ended up crying on the bogs in there when we did the Southport to Liverpool train ride/pub crawl because he realised he was too pissed to make it to town. The barmaid randomly walked in and said "stop crying you gay bastard - by the way you're cock is dead small"

I think that's the Beno's or the Railway as it was officially called. Still a shithole.

I think Sir Roger was talking about the Stand Park in Sterrix Lane nr Ford/Litherland, which I've only been in once. And never again.