You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Biggest knobhead journalist

Guest TK-421
Jeez. I can't believe this Rafa crusade to get the owners out whilst Carragher sat idly by myth is still being perpetuated.

It must have been a different Jamie Carragher at the Olympia first SOS end of season do in 2008 that said he is right behind them getting the owners out. Brian Reade said in his book Rafa said to journalists call the dogs off Hicks, nothing was made of it. That has been swept under the carpet totally whilst the anti-Carragher propaganda is continued.

Can I ask you then, what did you make of Kenny Dalglish taking a job at the club under the ownership of Hicks and Gillett then?

One of the reasons Rafa hated Purslow and Broughton because they wanted Hicks and Gillett out of the club, the same Hicks and Gillett who's ownership he took a huge long term contract under which he was in his rights to do of course but lets be spared of all the Super Rafa nonsense. He is only human and had every right to (eventually) sign the contract. He was in for self-preservation as much as anybody. Nothing wrong with that at all as I say.

I've got no problem with Kenny taking his role. He's Kenny Dalglish and can do what he wants.

Same for Rafa. He deserved his 5 year contract. If Brendan Rodgers wins a European Cup he can have a 5 year deal, too. He'll have deserved it.

I've got no problem with Kenny taking his role. He's Kenny Dalglish and can do what he wants.

Same for Rafa. He deserved his 5 year contract. If Brendan Rodgers wins a European Cup he can have a 5 year deal, too. He'll have deserved it.

But Jamie Carragher a vital component of the European Cup winning team who put his body on the line numerous times in that very final doesn't deserve a two year contract when he was still a regular in the side at that point. Bit of a strange logic that.

Regarding Kenny, I was disappointed in him coming back to the club under their ownership in a, lets face it, nothing job, but each to their own.

Guest the boy
One of the reasons Rafa hated Purslow and Broughton because they wanted Hicks and Gillett out of the club

Great stuff. This forum is always good for a laugh.

Guest the boy

For the benefit of the Carragher / Benitez debate that we're cultivating here, I'd like to offer this contribution, straight from the mouths of babes as it were.

Liverpool's manager, Rafael Benítez, said there are no talks planned with the defender. "We're happy to wait," the Spaniard said. "When you talk about players over 30 it's not the same as those who are 25 or goalkeepers, who will have a long-term contract. With Carra, we will wait and see."

----

Any fan of Blair must place an importance on image and Carragher is no exception, although only in the context of the club he serves. Proud though he is of his achievements at Anfield, and of a career of dramatic highs and lows on a collective and personal level, the defender admits the recent image of Liverpool FC is one that pains him.

"I care about the club because I'm a supporter as well," he says. "It does bother me if things aren't as they should be. I think a lot about the future of the club, the direction it's going in, the way it is run and how it is perceived from the outside. There are some things that Liverpool should be doing in a certain way, the correct way. We should be a little bit different, and we need to get back to that.

"I'm not just talking about winning games, but the way we do things and the way we conduct ourselves. The class and dignity this club was renowned for. It's the way Liverpool used to be seen by people and we should be aiming to recreate that."

"I'm not getting into why we lost that, but we do need to get back to it and I think we are. I just think that over the last few years people didn't like Liverpool. Other managers didn't like us, we were always getting criticism in the press, obviously we were not doing well on the pitch so that comes with it, but everything was just negative Liverpool all the time. We've had situations like Martin O'Neill and Steve Bruce criticising Liverpool and they were right. We shouldn't be getting involved with stuff like that. Everyone else should look at Liverpool and say they have dignity, class. I mean, like the way people look at Arsenal. They do things right and you think they conduct themselves in the right way. I think we have been a club who were like that and we need to get back to that, to do things right. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose; that's football. You can't win all the time. But you can still behave in a way where people respect you."

---

As I noted in the Carragher thread, it is implicit in Rafa's comments that had he remained manager Carragher would have stood to lose at least a couple of million on the contract he eventually signed. Carry on.

Guest TK-421
But Jamie Carragher a vital component of the European Cup winning team who put his body on the line numerous times in that very final doesn't deserve a two year contract when he was still a regular in the side at that point. Bit of a strange logic that.

Regarding Kenny, I was disappointed in him coming back to the club under their ownership in a, lets face it, nothing job, but each to their own.

No, he didn't deserve his contract and unless Carragher has a blinding season in the final year of it then in my humble opinion it constitutes a fuck up.

As I noted in the Carragher thread, it is implicit in Rafa's comments that had he remained manager Carragher would have stood to lose at least a couple of million on the contract he eventually signed. Carry on.

If you're adding two and two and making five, people are going to question your mental proficiency. I note you won't go as far as to make a public, libellous accusation. You're just hoping other people follow you into a wild and damaging conclusion. Not only a thick twat, but a coward to boot.

Yet you were delighted when they appointed Hodgson.

Indeed, but what was the point of Dalglish coming back to the club at that point in the role that was created for him by God knows who? Surely somebody of Kenny's standing would have been better from the outside in the campaigns against the owners? However Hodgsons short-lived reign panned out, Dalglish was a huge shadow over him from the outset. I would lay odds that Rafa felt the same at some points in 09-10 when he was under increasing pressure because of poor results here.

No, he didn't deserve his contract and unless Carragher has a blinding season in the final year of it then in my humble opinion it constitutes a fuck up.

So what do you explain fnishing 7th and losing 19 games in all competitions, some of them without a shot on goal, losing in the FA Cup at home to Reading, getting knocked out of a relatively weak CL group the first year in a new five year contract then having been there five years already then? Surely the long term contract for Rafa was a fuck up using your Carragher logic Martin? Maybe Carragher was slightly over the hill by then but maybe Rafa's time and cycle here was at an end then too at the end of 2009-10. It happens to everyone at some point.

Guest TK-421
So what do you explain fnishing 7th and losing 19 games in all competitions, some of them without a shot on goal, losing in the FA Cup at home to Reading, getting knocked out of a relatively weak CL group the first year in a new five year contract then having been there five years already then? Surely the long term contract for Rafa was a fuck up using your logic Martin?

It's not comparable.

An aging and declining player is not the same thing as a manager.

Rafa performed badly that year but he paid for it with his job and is no longer at the club. That doesn't apply to the players, it's not comparing like with like.

Giving Carragher a contract extension was wrong. Wrong for the same reasons as giving Joe Cole a great big contract was wrong. Those two situations are similar. The manager is separate.

Indeed, but what was the point of Dalglish coming back to the club at that point in the role that was created for him by God knows who? Surely somebody of Kenny's standing would have been better from the outside in the campaigns against the owners? However Hodgsons short-lived reign panned out, Dalglish was a huge shadow over him from the outset. I would lay odds that Rafa felt the same at some points in 09-10 when he was under increasing pressure because of poor results here.

Dalglish was asked to return and he did in an ambassadorial role. He himself said he'd rather be 'inside the tent pissing out' than on the outside looking in.

Hodgson knew what he was letting himself in for, he knew Dalglish was the supporters choice.

Your attempt to play contrary is riddled with holes.

Dalglish was asked to return and he did in an ambassadorial role. He himself said he'd rather be 'inside the tent pissing out' than on the outside looking in.

Hodgson knew what he was letting himself in for, he knew Dalglish was the supporters choice.

Your attempt to play contrary is riddled with holes.

''Asked'' by whom then Coro? Definitely wasn't Rafa.

Guest TK-421
Parry wasn't at the club when Kenny came back as an ambassador?

What is it that Juan Galanso is trying to suggest?

I think he means Purslow but he's going all senile.