You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Biggest knobhead journalist

He effectively accused Carragher of being a disruptive influence at LFC. The inference from the context of his statement was that he was sabotaging the manager.

I'm sure you will have heard similar rumours, with as much basis as the "Rafa rubbing his hands" rumour.

He soon backed down when faced with a legal challenge, from what I've been told.

Without wanting to open up that whole can of boxing frogs, can anyone tell me what that bolded part is meant to be about, please? (by pm, even, if to save a ruckus).

I've seen it mentioned so many times on here.

Without wanting to open up that whole can of boxing frogs, can anyone tell me what that bolded part is meant to be about, please? (by pm, even, if to save a ruckus).

I've seen it mentioned so many times on here.

There was a rumour that Rafa had told Gerrard the club couldn't afford to sack him, whilst rubbing his hands together. I can't quite remember the context, but it was rightly treated with a contempt which was never applied to the rumours of Carra and Gerrard having a hand in Rafa's demise.

I have heard by the way from two sources close to Rafa that he was "mutually consented" after issuing an ultimatum to Broughton to sack either him or Purslow, so I can personally vouch for the falsehood of those rumours about two of our players having that much influence.

Unfortunately a lot of people believe what they read in the papers, so Fanning gave credence to all that bullshit even though he could not back it up.

Patrick Barclay. I've thought about going back on a promise I made to myself about never joining twitter for the sole reason that I'd like to be able to call him a cunt on a daily basis. Something which I believe is a noble goal, I should add.

I see. Crazy stuff, really. All the story needed was that he was twisting the end of his goatee, Dick Dastardly style.

Symptomatic of all the fallout which came from differing camps spreading rumours and briefing the press under Hicks and Gillett at the time I'm afraid.

They achieved their aim in splitting the fanbase, and even though we got rid of them in the end, some wounds have still not healed.

I see. Crazy stuff, really. All the story needed was that he was twisting the end of his goatee, Dick Dastardly style.

I put the quote up on this thread http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/73686-smacking-bouncer-5.html#post3226734 the other day, the link to the original thread is on there as well if you want to view it.

Guest TK-421

I don't think it's so much a case of the mud Fanning slung sticking as people looking at all of the circumstances and making their own minds up.

I always viewed Carragher as a legend of the club and still do as a player, but only up to a point. That point was the summer of 2010, when a successful European Cup winning manager was ousted in favour of Roy Hodgson. Later that year Carragher was awarded a two year contract extension but lost his place a little more than a year later to Daniel Agger.

Not good and a sad way for a club legend to end his playing days.

I always viewed Carragher as a legend of the club and still do as a player, but only up to a point. That point was the summer of 2010, when a successful European Cup winning manager was ousted in favour of Roy Hodgson. Later that year Carragher was awarded a two year contract extension but lost his place a little more than a year later to Daniel Agger.

You are mentally ill.

To conclude that Carragher getting a new contract is evidence of his implicit manipulation of the football club in order to oust Benitez, with no further evidence, is not only irrational but mendacious.

Happily for you, you probably don't have enough influence or persuasiveness for him to bother suing your arse for libel as well.

Guest TK-421
To conclude that Carragher getting a new contract is evidence of his implicit manipulation of the football club in order to oust Benitez, with no further evidence, is not only irrational but mendacious.

Happily for you, you probably don't have enough influence or persuasiveness for him to bother suing your arse for libel as well.

I didn't conclude any such thing or suggest any causative link.

I just think Carragher's conduct during that period, lack of support for Rafa and his form for Liverpool since his new contract, which leaves a lot to be desired, have tarnished an otherwise great legacy.

Crying 'ere.

To be honest I never paid any attention to any of his work as I find no value in reading the Daily Star. You'd get more intellect reading the Beano or The Hungry Catterpillar. The comments I saw from him on twitter were cuntish particularly around the time of the Suarez case. However on a human level it's absolutely tragic for a feller to lose his life at that age, particularly when he's leaving a wife and young son behind. Really horrible that that young lad will grow up without his dad. Thoughts with his family if nothing else.

I just think Carragher's conduct during that period, lack of support for Rafa and his form for Liverpool since his new contract, which leaves a lot to be desired, have tarnished an otherwise great legacy.

What conduct, and what lack of support? All players lose form past a certain age, which is impossible to predict in advance, so I'll not be blaming him for that. It says a lot that Kenny stopped picking him, and I'm sure he would acknowledge that was justified.

Guest TK-421
What conduct, and what lack of support? All players lose form past a certain age, which is impossible to predict in advance, so I'll not be blaming him for that. It says a lot that Kenny stopped picking him, and I'm sure he would acknowledge that was justified.

Nothing specific but generally speaking I'd have liked him to speak out more against Gillett & Hicks and I think the players owed it to Rafa to be more vocally supportive of him in a time of crisis. Instead there wasn't any support and Carragher welcomed Hodgson with open arms, claiming it gave the whole club a lift.

Nothing specific but generally speaking I'd have liked him to speak out more against Gillett & Hicks and I think the players owed it to Rafa to be more vocally supportive of him in a time of crisis. Instead there wasn't any support and Carragher welcomed Hodgson with open arms, claiming it gave the whole club a lift.

Carragher was hardly the only player to be silent on the issue of Gillette and Hicks, but in his defence I'd say he could simply be one of those old school players who believes we don't wash our dirty linen in public.

Dirk Kuyt was another player who spoke positively about Hodgson in the August after he was appointed by the way, saying that he was confident we would improve under him and that the training sessions were very good.

Guest TK-421
Carragher was hardly the only player to be silent on the issue of Gillette and Hicks, but in his defence I'd say he could simply be one of those old school players who believes we don't wash our dirty linen in public.

Dirk Kuyt was another player who spoke positively about Hodgson in the August after he was appointed by the way, saying that he was confident we would improve under him and that the training sessions were very good.

Agreed on your point but there were players who were more vocal and I was disappointed that Carragher chose to stay silent on the issue.

As for Dirk Kuyt, he was wrong.

So what are we talking about here?

We started off this subject with Fanning's newspaper printing an apology and a retraction along with making a donation to the HJC, after he implied Carragher was complicit in Benitez's departure. You seemed to be agreeing with him somewhat when you said you came to that conclusion yourself, and now you've backtracked to the point where Carragher was handed a contract and later lost form through aging, was one of a number of players who remained silent on Gillett and Hicks, and was wrong, like Dirk Kuyt, to welcome Hodgson's methods on arrival at the club.

I'm struggling to see what your specific problem is with him. Like Fanning, you seem to be acting from a peculiar grudge with no evidence to support you.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Jeez. I can't believe this Rafa crusade to get the owners out whilst Carragher sat idly by myth is still being perpetuated.

It must have been a different Jamie Carragher at the Olympia first SOS end of season do in 2008 that said he is right behind them getting the owners out. Brian Reade said in his book Rafa said to journalists call the dogs off Hicks, nothing was made of it. That has been swept under the carpet totally whilst the anti-Carragher propaganda is continued.

Can I ask you then, what did you make of Kenny Dalglish taking a job at the club under the ownership of Hicks and Gillett then?

One of the reasons Rafa hated Purslow and Broughton because they wanted Hicks and Gillett out of the club, the same Hicks and Gillett who's ownership he took a huge long term contract under which he was in his rights to do of course but lets be spared of all the Super Rafa nonsense. He is only human and had every right to (eventually) sign the contract. He was in for self-preservation as much as anybody. Nothing wrong with that at all as I say.

Guest TK-421
So what are we talking about here?

We started off this subject with Fanning's newspaper printing an apology and a retraction along with making a donation to the HJC, after he implied Carragher was complicit in Benitez's departure. You seemed to be agreeing with him somewhat when you said you came to that conclusion yourself, and now you've backtracked to the point where Carragher was handed a contract and later lost form through aging, was one of a number of players who remained silent on Gillett and Hicks, and was wrong, like Dirk Kuyt, to welcome Hodgson's methods on arrival at the club.

I'm struggling to see what your specific problem is with him. Like Fanning, you seem to be acting from a peculiar grudge with no evidence to support you.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

You tell me.

All I'm saying is that in my view people were capable of coming to their own conclusions, with or without Fanning's article.