You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thatcher...  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Thatcher...

• is a heroine who lifted this country from its knees; one of our greatest ever PMs.
    • was a necessary evil; someone had to do what she did.
    • makes me shudder with rage with every breath she takes; she destroyed our country.
    • personal feeling aside, it's too soon to see her true legacy.

What a deeply unpleasant cock.

Well, yeah, I wasn't putting him forward as a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize or anything, but it's more the content of his speech than the way he delivered it.

Like tokyojoe says, it's difficult to disagree with anything he's saying, and I think it puts into context the oft-repeated claims that the UK economy is ticking over nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
For so many reasons, I hope she lingers a painful death.

My Father felt the pain for so many years because he couldn't get the work to support our family.

He was a qualified tradesman and she destroyed his self respect. Fuck you Thatcher you old dog!

Sounds exactly like what happened to my dad - left school at 15, got a trade (upholsterer), and never spent a day unemployed, until he got made redundant at 53 (from a job he had had for 12 years). From then on, until retirement age at 65, he must have worked maybe 14 or 15 months out of the next twelve years.

Couldn't get a job in his trade, and couldn't get any of the other menial jobs the job centre, or whichever restart program, told him to apply for, as he got the same reply every time - you're too old.

He's a proud man my arl feller, respectful, and it takes him a lot to make him swear, but when it comes to that fucking excuse for a human being, he describes her as that fucking bastard - and says, despite being 74 now and bad on his feet, that he will dance a fucking jig on her grave when she goes!!

She was a bastard, and she will spend a long time parking cars in hell!!!

more of a social comment than about thatcher. Im just looking arouund for my last m&m hiccupping BUT

we now live in a world where you can sit and watch no mark fuck wit individuals ( Big B) earn more money than sense than anyone with a normal job.

The whole country is 350 degrees in the wrong direction. Can you imagine tocky, Brixton happening today, no chance were all to passified.

• 2 weeks later...
more of a social comment than about thatcher. Im just looking arouund for my last m&m hiccupping BUT

we now live in a world where you can sit and watch no mark fuck wit individuals ( Big B) earn more money than sense than anyone with a normal job.

The whole country is 350 degrees in the wrong direction. Can you imagine tocky, Brixton happening today, no chance were all to passified.

I think it could happen again, they were to do with race issues more than anything and that could rise up again. Your right though no one really gives a fuck about anything anymore.

Guest deowlfella

If you have decided its"tired",well i better shut up then.As a parting thought i'd just like to say that if your old enough to have lived through the bitches years,and did not vote with the 73+%,shame on ya.

Jeez mate, that is one immense, monster of a post. That should be printed off and framed, such is its accuracy and impact.

I take my hat off to you, that was a cracking read.:yes:

Nah, Mellor was John Major's man. He was banging the Chelsea-top-wearing-slut in the early 90s.

US, and certainly Reagan's, closest ally, not playing ANY part in the fall of communism whatsoever?

And the media not biased towards Thatcher? I have not been a regular reader of UK press, but I know this, in the norwegian press she's not pictured cery well. I've grown up with Reagan/Thatcher = evil. I also know that wegian journalists get their analysis of foreign politics from the international press, and their only second language is mostly english.

An interesting point is this: Reagan, who applied Thatcher-like fiscal politics domesticly at the same time; lowering income taxes, taking on the unions etc. And Reagan's US also experienced some of the problems Thatcher's Britain did; unemployment peaked during his tenure (though early on, and was bad when he was elected) and income inequality.

Still, in polls, he ranks as one of America's most popular presidents. Whereas Thatcher, I suspect, wouldn't do too well in similar polls. At least if this poll is anything to go by.

Am pretty neutral in my view on Thatcher, but then again I probably don't know enough about the effects of her politics to have a qualified opinion.

• 4 years later...

I opened this thread hoping the reason for the bumpage was that someone had finally pressed a pillow into the old trout's face.

I am saddened to report that such was not the case.

Sounds exactly like what happened to my dad - left school at 15, got a trade (upholsterer), and never spent a day unemployed, until he got made redundant at 53 (from a job he had had for 12 years). From then on, until retirement age at 65, he must have worked maybe 14 or 15 months out of the next twelve years.

Couldn't get a job in his trade, and couldn't get any of the other menial jobs the job centre, or whichever restart program, told him to apply for, as he got the same reply every time - you're too old.

He's a proud man my arl feller, respectful, and it takes him a lot to make him swear, but when it comes to that fucking excuse for a human being, he describes her as that fucking bastard - and says, despite being 74 now and bad on his feet, that he will dance a fucking jig on her grave when she goes!!

She was a bastard, and she will spend a long time parking cars in hell!!!

Blimey, I didn't realise I was so passionate about the subject back then.

Anyway, she is, she was, she always will be, a cunt of the highest order!!

Tick Tock You Arl Bastard!!

Interesting debate. I can see why people disliked her but at times what she did was a necessary evil. Its interesting to see people using the economy as a stick to beat her with. There is not a single Labour Govt that hasn't fucked the economy and left power with it in better shape than when they got in.

Blair got lucky and thrived on the measures Ken Clarke had put in place.

They then spent too much, allowed the banks to lend too much and it was no surprise to me when the bubble burst.

It was Labour and the left who have done much to fuck Liverpool up, someone earlier on in this thread mentioned the crazy union power. Look at what Militant got up to - it was they who made my Dad redundant because like all left wing govts they spunked money up the wall on projects that (whilst meaning well) couldn't be afforded.

There was also no credible opposition to Thatcher.

We are lucky in this country. All of our politicians and parties mean well for the whole of society. They might not achieve it but they are nothing like the dictators and lunatics we see elsewhere.

So much of recent modern history can, in my view, in this country be summed up this way

1 labour - mean well but mess it up by trying to spend what we cannot afford

2 Tories - also mean well but when trying to implement steps that are tough but necessary (cutting spending etc) they often get the balance wrong and despite their genuine intention of providing a safety net fail to get it right for those who need the care most and are rightly criticised for being perceived as looking after their own.

Blair will go down in history as a pretty good PM (bar the Iraq war) and rightly so. I think Thatcher was just as good a leader. Bar those two we have had some hopeless PMs in Heath, Major, Brown and now Cameron.

It seems too trendy to me that everyone just slags off the Tories. Lets face it if it wasn't for Scottish seats (and for me they can get lost in Westminster elections as they have their own parliament) the Tories would win every single election in this country. There are a lot of people out there who supported and voted for Thatcher who now feel unable to admit due to pressure.

Thanks for bumping this. Two thoughts spring to mind:

1) Despite claims that I've become some slobbering right winger over the last 18 months, this thread proves that my views have actually been (a) remarkably consistent and (b) not right wing.

2) Political debates were much more civil back in 2007. You can speculate on the reasons for that if you want, but I'd just suggest you compare this discussion with a more recent one.