You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thatcher...  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Thatcher...

• is a heroine who lifted this country from its knees; one of our greatest ever PMs.
    • was a necessary evil; someone had to do what she did.
    • makes me shudder with rage with every breath she takes; she destroyed our country.
    • personal feeling aside, it's too soon to see her true legacy.

Don't like her but she was a unique politician, don't think there has ever been anybody else with such a strong personality.I guess some of the things she did needed doing, but she simply did not care who suffered as a result. I've voted second option but i must stress that i never supported her.

As a big lefty twat, i obviously can't stand her. I am not an economist so i can't comment on the effects on the economy, but her effect on society was bad. Money grabbing, me me me, shit on everyone else attitudes. The unions had too much power that was being exploited in the 70s, but do they have to be decimated? Do workers have to have no rights and be forced into jobs with no security?

As a big lefty twat, i obviously can't stand her. I am not an economist so i can't comment on the effects on the economy, but her effect on society was bad. Money grabbing, me me me, shit on everyone else attitudes. The unions had too much power that was being exploited in the 70s, but do they have to be decimated? Do workers have to have no rights and be forced into jobs with no security?

I agree 100% with that, that may turn out to be her biggest legacy. She just didn't care about people.

I knew that time would soften how the fucking bitch was remembered by some.

She was an evil power-crazed whore. If anything she did eventually did turn out to have a positive effect, it was purely by chance rather than design. She presided over a government so corrupt it make the cash for peerages look pathetic. Blair's motives for sending the country war are still debated about, whilst hers are crystal clear and purely aimed at reviving her flagging numbers in the polls. Disgusting murderous slag. She pioneered the greed is good and the look after yourself philosophy that means a privileged few do well at the expense of everyone else. Contrary to the blue-tinted spectacled reminiscences of some, it was fuck all to do with those who worked hard did well and those who didn't do well were just lazy fuckers. It was pure luck. If you were one of those that were looked after, you would do well with minimum effort, if you weren't, you were fucked no matter how badly you wanted to work hard.

I will shit on her grave when she dies. I will shit on the face of anyone who gets in my way. I would pay an awful lot of money to be the last person she sees as I spit in her face before she croaks.

I'll have a fucking good drink the day that dragon dies .none of the options in the poll mean anything to me, but a lot of innocent people died in Ireland while that bitch ditthered and pandered to her cronies

I knew that time would soften how the fucking bitch was remembered by some.

She was an evil power-crazed whore. If anything she did eventually did turn out to have a positive effect, it was purely by chance rather than design. She presided over a government so corrupt it make the cash for peerages look pathetic. Blair's motives for sending the country war are still debated about, whilst hers are crystal clear and purely aimed at reviving her flagging numbers in the polls. Disgusting murderous slag. She pioneered the greed is good and the look after yourself philosophy that means a privileged few do well at the expense of everyone else. Contrary to the blue-tinted spectacled reminiscences of some, it was fuck all to do with those who worked hard did well and those who didn't do well were just lazy fuckers. It was pure luck. If you were one of those that were looked after, you would do well with minimum effort, if you weren't, you were fucked no matter how badly you wanted to work hard.

I will shit on her grave when she dies. I will shit on the face of anyone who gets in my way. I would pay an awful lot of money to be the last person she sees as I spit in her face before she croaks.

fucking fence sitter

Do workers have to have no rights and be forced into jobs with no security?

Workers have more rights now than they have ever had, the only rights they don't have are those that they used to put other people out of jobs eg. secondary picketing/show of hands ballots which allowed the militants to intimidate fellow workers.

Jobs with no security? check the unemployment rates in Germany and France compared to ours, there job security policies prevent employers from recruiting.

None of the above options. The people who hate her though are mostly the layabouts, those who want something for nothing and the dregs of society.

Her policies were copied in almost every western nation, together with Reagan she destroyed communism and so freed hundreds of millions of people in Eastern Europe from the stranglehold of the Soviet system.

The reason Blair never reversed most of her policies was that he knew they were right.

Hooray for Ronald and Maggie for slaying the red dragon, cos Russia is in a much better state now isnt it?

They had jobs, almost 100% of the population could read and write and they had food on the table not like now.

Aslong as people can sell mobiles and other useless shit to such a massive market they never had the chance to exploit then thats all that matters isnt it?

The stranglehold of consumerism is much better than that of communism isnt it?

Hooray for Ronald and Maggie for slaying the red dragon, cos Russia is in a much better state now isnt it?

They had jobs, almost 100% of the population could read and write and they had food on the table not like now.

Aslong as people can sell mobiles and other useless shit to such a massive market they never had the chance to exploit then thats all that matters isnt it?

The stranglehold of consumerism is much better than that of communism isnt it?

You are having a laugh, the shops were empty. People queued for hours for a loaf of bread.

I hate her with a passion for all the above reasons.

Her Government pre Falklands was the most unpopular in history. She decimated British industry in a misguided monetarist binge that threw 3 milion onto the dole and wrecked many industrial areas.

Despite all that many down here in oxon love her - this area along with most of the south escaped most of her destructive zeal

I hate her with a passion for all the above reasons.

Her Government pre Falklands was the most unpopular in history. She decimated British industry in a misguided monetarist binge that threw 3 milion onto the dole and wrecked many industrial areas.

Despite all that many down here in oxon love her - this area along with most of the south escaped most of her destructive zeal

Before Blair no labour government had ever reduced unemployment during their term in office-fact. The reason blair did it was because of the reforms put in place during the Thatcher years.

If she was so good at turning around the economy, how come she presided over the collapse of the pound in Europe, TWO recessions (one at the end of her tenure as PM) and mass repossessions in housing sending prices crashing to their lowest in post-war British history?

Just asking, like :whistle:

If she was so good at turning around the economy, how come she presided over the collapse of the pound in Europe, TWO recessions (one at the end of her tenure as PM) and mass repossessions in housing sending prices crashing to their lowest in post-war British history?

Just asking, like :whistle:

That's what makes me laugh about the tories. They were responsible for 2 of the biggest recessions in British history and a massive boom/bust and they expect us to believe that they're good at managing the economy

As much as I'd like to, it's a bit harsh to blame Thatcher for recessions. There's not a great deal governments can do to stop recessions, especially when (as in our case) they occur as a knock-on effect of recessions in other markets.

And I think no matter how rose-tinted your spectacles are, slaying the dragon of communism is a feat certainly worthy of celebration.

As much as I'd like to, it's a bit harsh to blame Thatcher for recessions. There's not a great deal governments can do to stop recessions, especially when (as in our case) they occur as a knock-on effect of recessions in other markets.

And I think no matter how rose-tinted your spectacles are, slaying the dragon of communism is a feat certainly worthy of celebration.

It probably is. Gorbachov should be very proud of himself.

The first recession they choked off the money supply to the economy making if far deeper than it should have been.

The 2nd one they encouraged the binge in the mid 80s making it certain that interest rates would have to go up to 15% to deal with the excess. They also entered the ERM? at an absurdly high level making British goods and services too expensive.

The tories are entirely to balme for the recessions imo

Will be weird when she croaks; the London-based media and US all mourning her death whilst the rest of the country looks on smiling. Felt similar when Di died - apart from a few soft-arsed women few others gave a shit - was like being in another country watching the news.

I think Ive seen enough already Paul.

A government comes to power and claims there is no such thing as society, its each man woman and child for him/her self. 28 years later, we have no society, and its each man woman and child for themselves.

I hope she dies a painful death, as is fitting the misery she caused and still does, millions.

I think Ive seen enough already Paul.

A government comes to power and claims there is no such thing as society, its each man woman and child for him/her self. 28 years later, we have no society, and its each man woman and child for themselves.

I hope she dies a painful death, as is fitting the misery she caused and still does, millions.

Really? Wonder what that one and a half grand a year council tax I pay for that goes towards the new social housing project across the road for those unwilling to work is all about. And this while I have to struggle on paying a quarter million mortgage.

What did thatcher do to destroy communism? The Russians could have shat all over Western europe in a single afternoons play!

Reagan was the most directly responsible, but in the process nearly destroyed his own country as well.

During the 80's the yanks had a one trillion a year defence budget, to the huge cost of the inner cities of the states.

They built thousands of nukes when a dozen could have finished evrything, the Russians built thousands more to compete, and eventually their planned economy exploded like a chernobyl reactor. Gorbachev took the only option open to any sensible leader and effectively sued for peace.

Thatcher had as much to do with the end of Communism as Ricky Gervais did.

None of the above options. The people who hate her though are mostly the layabouts, those who want something for nothing and the dregs of society.

What absolute tosh Hermes, what exactly are you basing this statement on or is this post a joke?