You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

REGRET

bri

having just come in from the pub. I often think about what might of been with a certain girl. I know the booze has kicked in a bit and I can get quite sentimental at times. But if I'm honest with myself there are moments which i do regret and in hindesight change.

I know now many years on there's nothing i can do about it. But my question is, is there anything you regret and what would you do to make sure it never happened again.

having just come in from the pub. I often think about what might of been with a certain girl. I know the booze has kicked in a bit and I can get quite sentimental at times. But if I'm honest with myself there are moments which i do regret and in hindesight change.

I know now many years on there's nothing i can do about it. But my question is, is there anything you regret and what would you do to make sure it never happened again.

Right now, sat at Stockholm Central, I regret having RiS'd up my train booking. I sit here with a ticket for the express train for next monday. I now have to take the cattle shuttle. Although the double decker trains on the route are pretty cool...

800px-SJ_Dubbeldäckare_i_trafik.jpg

Nowhere near as painful regrets as Bri's, but my only real regret in life is not carrying on with two of the things I was really good at as a kid: playing in goal and playing chess. I sometimes wonder how far I might have gone with either of them.

• Upvote 1

Guest PaddyBerger15
Nowhere near as painful regrets as Bri's, but my only real regret in life is not carrying on with two of the things I was really good at as a kid: playing in goal and playing chess. I sometimes wonder how far I might have gone with either of them.

You would have been the Nigel Short of the goalkeeping world mate. Its probably best that you gave both up when you did.

regrets i've gotta few...

That will be fucking around in school, college and uni and getting shite grades compared to what I could have got.

swerving left instead of right and crashing into a petrol station a few years ago

not buying a house three years ago down here (i'm fucked until I move home)

• Upvote 1

Right now, sat at Stockholm Central, I regret having RiS'd up my train booking. I sit here with a ticket for the express train for next monday. I now have to take the cattle shuttle. Although the double decker trains on the route are pretty cool...

800px-SJ_Dubbeldäckare_i_trafik.jpg

It's good to see that RiS-ing things up extends to all parts of your life and not just on this forum, we were starting to take it personally

Not going to Uni when I was 18. I'm 33, stick in a dead-end job, no qualifiactions above GCSE and not a pot to piss in. Oh I regret that alright!

At the risk of sounding like a patronising twat, its never too late mate. My mates brother-in-law is a partner in a law firm and he never went back to uni untiul he was 32. Just did it part-time while he was still at work.

There were plenty of people on my course in their 30's as well.

You can do access courses 1-2 nights a week and then go to uni if you wante, its easier than ever.

It's good to see that RiS-ing things up extends to all parts of your life and not just on this forum, we were starting to take it personally

Fraid so. Stations are shite places to kill time. Fortunately i had brought some sausage sandwiches with me and i bought myself a nice cup of coffee.

At the risk of sounding like a patronising twat, its never too late mate. My mates brother-in-law is a partner in a law firm and he never went back to uni untiul he was 32. Just did it part-time while he was still at work.

There were plenty of people on my course in their 30's as well.

You can do access courses 1-2 nights a week and then go to uni if you wante, its easier than ever.

It's the cost of the courses though, they cost several thousand. When you've got a mortgage and a child and you're only on 15k it's a bit difficult finding the dollar.

It's the cost of the courses though, they cost several thousand. When you've got a mortgage and a child and you're only on 15k it's a bit difficult finding the dollar.

You can get student loans to pay for courses though, you don't pay them back until your able to.

If the thought of going back for a long time does your head in maybe just pick a short professional course that will get you what you want.

Say if you want an IT career, getting a degree is less usefull than doing an 18month microsoft of cisco course - plenty of lads on here could advise you on these, like you say it would cost a few quid, but its that whole 'speculate to accumulate' ballance.

If you picked the right course and got some good advice, you could double your wages, i'd get some advice mate I really would, don't just give up on the idea before you've found out what your entitled to as well.

You can get student loans to pay for courses though, you don't pay them back until your able to.

If the thought of going back for a long time does your head in maybe just pick a short professional course that will get you what you want.

Say if you want an IT career, getting a degree is less usefull than doing an 18month microsoft of cisco course - plenty of lads on here could advise you on these, like you say it would cost a few quid, but its that whole 'speculate to accumulate' ballance.

If you picked the right course and got some good advice, you could double your wages, i'd get some advice mate I really would, don't just give up on the idea before you've found out what your entitled to as well.

Thanks mate. Any info from anybody would be greatly appreciated! Can you get student loans if you're working? I didn't think you could.

I regret fucking up a relationship with a girl called Lyndsay. She was and still is awesome, but I was too immature back then. I still have a little voice in my head telling me that I'll get another chance and that I shouldn't give up. I can't make it go away so I reckon I'm going to use the John Nash approach and just ignore it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks mate. Any info from anybody would be greatly appreciated! Can you get student loans if you're working? I didn't think you could.

Section 31 is talking sense. Have you considered Open University. I have a mate over here who got a computer science (or whatever they call it) degree while working as a teacher over here. It helped him change jobs. You should definitely think about it, you only live once. You don't want to look back on what might have been. You are 33. That means if you study for a couple of years you still have 30 years of work in your new career. Thats fucking ages.

As far as I know mate yeah, you could actually be entitled to none-repayable grants as well, depending on your circumstances.

Check this site out, but like i say I think it would deffo be worth taking some time and chatting to someone. Take a look around the net at some career ideas, find out what is required, then ask to speak to an advisor at your local college.

As RIS sais Open University and distance 'e-learning' could be a good option as well. Employers would rather have someone like you with a head on your shoulders and a good work-hostory than some wet behind the ears 21yo

Doing the course more often than not is just proof to an employer that your commited, who wouldn't be impressed by a family man in his 30's taking a 'risk' to come and work for their company?

http://www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=1647,468683&_dad=portal&_schema=PROTOCOL

Guest PaddyBerger15
Section 31 is talking sense. Have you considered Open University. I have a mate over here who got a computer science (or whatever they call it) degree while working as a teacher over here. It helped him change jobs. You should definitely think about it, you only live once. You don't want to look back on what might have been. You are 33. That means if you study for a couple of years you still have 30 years of work in your new career. Thats fucking ages.

The RiS man and Section 31 have the wisdom. Obviously its easier when you're younger, you have eff all in the way of responsibilities and you are still in the learning culture, but its better to address your 'regrets' now than to leave them lingering for another 10 years when you may not even be motivated to do anything about them.

Do it now brother....get some investigating done and do that course that will open up different and more rewarding avenues for you. 33 is the right age to be planning....43 isnt. Money isnt quite the barrier to progress that it once was, and you wont have to repay until you are coining it doing summat that you want to do....its a win and a place mate...you borrow the dough in the form of a student loan, and if you are successful then you pay it...Im sure you could live with that, as you will have been vindicated totally in the change of tack.

Go for it.....and do it now while you are thinking and talking about it.

if it all fails, youve still got us underachieving cunts to talk to and get maudlin with...:yes:

I regret giving up my acting, i got auditions for a show for RTE(thats Irelands main channel) but i couldn't speak irish fluently so that didn't happen.

I used to get reviews in shows from national papers saying as a comedy actor i was one for the future, but it didn't quite work out and i had to get a job so i'm stuck in my lifestyle, i like what i'm doing with my life but what could have been will always eat at me.

I fucked up a relationship with a girl called Alison when I was 19/20. I got dumped at Geneva airport, I boarded the flight and I've never seen her since. I was a dick head, insecure, stupid and probably got what I deserved. I regretted it for years but what's the fucking point? She isn't coming back. It come to a stage where there was no point in letting it cloud my thinking and I had to learn to forget about it and move on. It was hard, though, I remember being on the plane, the snot bubbling down my face from where I'd been crying and, no shit, my GP at the time was sat three rows in front of me. C'est la vie.

I regret giving up my acting, i got auditions for a show for RTE(thats Irelands main channel) but i couldn't speak irish fluently so that didn't happen.

I used to get reviews in shows from national papers saying as a comedy actor i was one for the future, but it didn't quite work out and i had to get a job so i'm stuck in my lifestyle, i like what i'm doing with my life but what could have been will always eat at me.

James Gandolfini (tony Soprano) never got his first acting job until he was 31!

Isn't acting something you can edge into while your working? Mate if I had that kind of background and critical approval i'd deffo get on the case!