You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Snooker

Remmie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the word 'mentalist':

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/nov/23/ronnie-osullivan-uk-championship-retirement-god

Ronnie O’Sullivan: God has told me to finish with snooker

Ronnie O’Sullivan said he no longer feels “trapped in a prison” and played down retirement talk after a dazzling 6-0 first-round win over Boonyarit Keattikun at the UK Championship in York on Wednesday.

The 40-year-old is looking for the 29th ranking title of his career and started in emphatic fashion, needing only 56 minutes to complete a whitewash victory over an overwhelmed Thai opponent.

The five-times UK champion made three centuries during the match and revealed he is enjoying having to juggle playing with his Eurosport punditry role.

O’Sullivan said: “This is like a bit of a hobby. Getting my cue out is a bit of a pleasure whereas before, when that’s all I had to do, I felt I was trapped in a prison. Now I feel like it’s a bit exciting and I treat it as a bit of fun.

“My proper job is my punditry and doing all my other bits – that’s my salary but this is a bit of a bonus now.”

Hours before the match, O’Sullivan tweeted that God told him to give up the sport, but the five-times world champion later had a positive response for his fans.

He said: “I have conversations with God and he said to me, ‘Jack snooker in mate, you’re better off as a pundit’ and I was like, ‘Hold on, we will have to have a proper conversation about that’.

“It’s not my last tournament until God puts his foot down, he is the boss and I don’t want to take liberties with him.”

O’Sullivan is no fan of the Barbican Centre’s four-table setup in York but was satisfied with his opening performance.

“I played all right, I wasn’t too sure what this guy was like – he looked good at the start but missed a couple of balls,” he said.

“It’s a bit of a weird setup so I’ll try not to get too serious about the tournament unless I can get to the two-table setup.”

• 2 weeks later...

Selby, he's a machine. He's currently way above most other players (well, him and ROS). A couple of years ago the standard seemed really high but at the minute it seems to have plummeted. If he keeps this up I can see him dominating the bigger tournaments over the next few years. He's not exactly exhilarating to watch, but he certainly knows how to play the game.

Looking forward to the Masters in January though, my second favourite tournament after the Worlds.

Selby was great yesterday against Ronnie. He doesn't have any weaknesses to his game and to win it with 2 centuries after Ronnie had pulled back from 5 frames down was pure class. He is really humble as well especially when the crowd were all cheering for Ronnie. After Higgins Selby is my favourite player on the circuit. I love Ronnie but his demeanour sometimes pisses me off.

Yeah Selby is going to take some beating. Ronnie won't beat him again in a major event. Certainly not in a final. Selby just goes up another level in a final, a bit like Stephen Hendry. I don't see any major threats to Selby, he'll probably win another 3 or 4  world titles in the next 5 years. 

Selby was boss, but the adulation that goes to O'Sullivan is beyond ridiculous at times.

If he's winning it's "Oh yes, that just what we expect from the genius, best player ever to pick up a stick etc. etc."

If he's not winning, it's "Oh dear, that's just not the standard we expect from the genius, best player ever to pick up a stick etc. etc."

His opponents just don't get a look in.

During that final the other night, when he started to come back at Selby they cut to the studio where Parrott and Davis started talking about how amazing O'Sullivan was and how he was at that point playing the best snooker anyone had ever played, ever.

Then he got beat.

• 1 month later...

Perry came back to win 6-5 to earn tomorrow's inevitable thrashing by O'Sullivan in the final.

Was hoping Hawkins would win that. he schooled Selby yesterday and would have given Ronnie a game. Ronnies post match interview after beating Fu was funny. 

Ref having a go at the crowd for shouting out for Ronnie. Anyone remember when the fella was on his mobile during a Ronnie final with Selby a few years back and he ended up getting liked out. As he was getting lead away by security he shouted "beat him Ronnie he's a mug". Pissed myself at that its snooker for fuck sake. 

Perry has been awful this session. Missing piss easy shots. Its his first ranking tournament though and the crowd are mostly Ronnie loons so understandable he is nervous. Once Ronnie gets in the groove he is just unstoppable. Easily the most gifted of all time. 

He is the greatest, in my mind, his longevity is amazing. He won his first title (the UK champs) in 1993, and here he is in 2017 winning the Masters. I don't think he'll ever beat Hendry's Worlds total, and definitely not his overall titles (he's about 8 behind I think?). Hendry burned bright for a period, but O'Sullivan is still here all these years later. Watching him in full flow around the table is something else.

Not sure how he managed to win at the weekend playing with that cue tip, either.

He is the greatest, in my mind, his longevity is amazing. He won his first title (the UK champs) in 1993, and here he is in 2017 winning the Masters. I don't think he'll ever beat Hendry's Worlds total, and definitely not his overall titles (he's about 8 behind I think?). Hendry burned bright for a period, but O'Sullivan is still here all these years later. Watching him in full flow around the table is something else.

Not sure how he managed to win at the weekend playing with that cue tip, either.

Its good to see that he has managed to tame his inner demons. He would have been way ahead of all the others had he not thrown away so many matches when he was younger because of his depression.  It used to be the case winning came second to playing faultless snooker. These days he hangs in there and wants to win even when he's playing poorly