You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafael Benitez

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Rafa Benitez will be unemployed in 4 days time,

should we to do anything about this window of opportunity this time

No. No we shouldn't. After many years of needing to, we've finally allowed a manager to strip out and rebuild the foundations of the side. It'd be senseless not to allow him to put up some walls and a roof. Fucking hell, there's a long way to go before we start worrying about Rafa's sofas and lamps

Rafa Benitez will be unemployed in 4 days time,

should we to do anything about this window of opportunity this time

Rafa is history.

The failure of the Chelsea players to embrace him at the final whistle said it all- I want LFC players playing for the manager, not themselves.

To be fair he has done well on the playing side, but only because even he realises that fucking with Abrahamovic is pointless.

Why should he return to appease a small band of devotees. FSG and Ayre wouldn't tolerate him for five minutes and Stevie G would be briefing likemad again, no good could come of it.

Perhaps he could start his own club, rafa FC?

But too many are completely ambivalent or even antagonistic towards Rodgers because of Rafa. It very rarely helps to try and go back and recreate what was, there is a time when something is right. Then it it isn't. It was probably a mistake to sack him but it would probably also be a mistake to bring him back because that's what things are like. That's me done on the subject until I get drawn in again coz I know it wont fucking end, even if he comes back. If there was a forum where he wasn't ever mentioned I'd go there. Good night fellow reds x

People will be ambivalent or antagonistic towards Rodgers cos they're idiots or until we're good again. The threshold was set when a European Cup winning manager was sacked for one sub-standard season. You can't put the genie back in the bottle. You can not unscramble eggs. You can not squeeze toothpaste back into the tube.

Rafa is history.

Why should he return to appease a small band of devotees. FSG and Ayre wouldn't tolerate him

The majority of our support would now want him back in place of Brendan you fucking dickhead. FSG, Ayre !!! Just fuck off back to your imaginary executive box.

Apart from that, getting late, night xerxes x

The threshold was set when a European Cup winning manager was sacked for one sub-standard season.

That was after six years, a good run anywhere.

It was appointing, then sacking Hodgson in six months which broke the mould, which presaged KK going after 18 months.

John Giles

Rafa’s class puts Chelsea chancers to shame

Rafael Benitez showed more class in one day in Amsterdam than Roman Abramovich, Chelsea football club and all the supporters put together.

I had to laugh at all the conscientious objectors at Stamford Bridge who suddenly found a reason to travel to Holland when there was a trophy at stake; the same people that were unable to watch a game at their home ground without aiming vicious abuse at Benitez.

The turned up in the Amsterdam Arena in their tens of thousands and like all fans, were able to forget the fact they hated the ground Benitez walked on. Even during the game i heard them sing about Jose Mourinho and i thought to myself, has there ever been a more ungrateful bunch of idiots at a football match.

My admiration for Benitez in this situation is total. He walked through an appalling mess and came out the other side with a performing team.

When it came to the crunch at half-time on Wednesday night and Chelsea looked down and out, he turned a sluggish, disconnected bunch of players into a unit again and won the Europa League.

This is a win for Benitez and not for Chelsea although i am sure that Abramovich will believe that another trophy proves that he is running the club well. Sure, Chelsea have won a lot of trophies with a lot of different managers but chaos surrounds the club more often than not and i wonder would Alex Ferguson be stepping down now with as many medals had Abramovich done what he should have done many years ago and stay out of Jose Mourinho’s way?