You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres vs Villa

To defuse a potentially explosive situation on the other thread:

We're being linked with both players. Torres not so much recently, but Villa certainly. Here's a question for you:

Of the two, which one would you rather have? As a footballer I would prefer Villa but for physical stature and ability to stand up to the hurly burly of the Premiership, that would be Torres.

I don't think for one second we'd sign Torres though - Rafa is supposedly no great fan at all.

Torres is a faster and better positionally. More of the poacher mentality but lacks the strength for close box dribbling, imo. He'd get clattered if he tries to get silky around the area.

I think he'd be more likely to stick in headers/through balls though.

Villa is just technically amazing and fast. Not sure on his finishing still...

I'd worry about both of them adapting to the physical nature of this league, they both look weak and both sport horrid mullets.

I'd like someone like Crespo to come in and do a job for us and let the other strikers we currently have get on with it. Plough all the rest of the money into a decent left side and perhaps a right winger too.

Torres:

"Many congratulations, and thank you for making football such a spectacular game”

After sharing the excitement like one of so many fans with the great Champions league final, I would like to send my congratulations to Liverpool Football Club for winning their fifth European Cup, and specially to all those Spanish professionals that have contributed to this great victory. Both to the coaching staff: Rafa Benítez, Paco Herrera, José Manuel Ochotorena, Paco Ayestarán; and also to the players: Luis García, for taking the red and white colours so high, to Xabi Alonso, whom I hope to see soon in the National Team, to Antonio Núñez, a friend in the great family of Bahía, to Josemi and Morientes. To all of you CONGRATULATIONS, and thank you for making football such spectacular game".

http://www.fernando9torres.com/inicio.php?new_leng=uk

He knows a good team when he sees one.... ;)

We will have more money this summer, that's for sure, but I still don't think we'll be competing with Real, Barce or Chelsea for £35m players.

I can see us splashing out on Simao and Alves, 'mere' £12-£15m players we've been priced out of in previous windows to finally sort out some quality on the wings.

Can't see us blowing most of our budget on Eto'o, Villa or Torres, however, when we also need a centre half and maybe even a left back.

I can see us going for somebody like Darren Bent up front, though personally I'd rather Kevin Doyle or Jermaine Defoe.

Anyway, the Morientes case study should be a lesson to us all. Brilliant before he came here, brilliant after he left us, but a bit rubbish in the English game despite his good attitude.

Guest TK-421

Anyway, the Morientes case study should be a lesson to us all. Brilliant before he came here, brilliant after he left us, but a bit rubbish in the English game despite his good attitude.

For your Morientes I give you Reina, Alonso, Arbeloa (ok it's early days), and so on.

For your Morientes I give you Reina, Alonso, Arbeloa (ok it's early days), and so on.

I should have clarified more - was talking specifically about strikers, I think it's a completely different art form, a lot more protection etc from refs over there.

Guest TK-421
I should have clarified more - was talking specifically about strikers, I think it's a completely different art form, a lot more protection etc from refs over there.

Ok, but I think a good enough player can play in any league. I'd be really surprised if somone like Eto'o failed to make the grade here.

Guest Jay W

Can do better than Torres. I highly doubt we'd get Villa either due to his probrable price tag but out of the two Villa is by far the better striker.

Ok, but I think a good enough player can play in any league. I'd be really surprised if somone like Eto'o failed to make the grade here.

I think he'd be more of a banker than the other two alright.

Was just thinking, there doesn't seem to be a glut of world class strikers like in previous generations. I'd struggle to think of many if you take out the usual names that crop up in these polls. All the more reason why I think Rafa will conjure up another Crouch-esque -initally-baffling striking sensation.

Guest TK-421
I think he'd be more of a banker than the other two alright.

Was just thinking, there doesn't seem to be a glut of world class strikers like in previous generations. I'd struggle to think of many if you take out the usual names that crop up in these polls. All the more reason why I think Rafa will conjure up another Crouch-esque -initally-baffling striking sensation.

It will be interesting to see if Rafa is prepared to get ripped off and take a chance on a megabucks signing, or continue to be prudent and look for the "right player".

That's who I think we'll go for, especially if Charlton go down. I'd rather have him than Defoe or Doyle.

Can't see us getting either (Villa/Torres) due to their price tag, so Bent will be the next option I reckon.

Proven in the prem, decent pace, decent finisher and hard worker.

Out of the original 2 though, I would prefer Villa:thumbup:

If it's any interest to anyone here are the club stats.(I haven't broken them down season by season just a general outline)

Torres=68goals-178apps

Villa=95goals-190apps(total)

Some of Villa's goals were scored in the second division so here is his La Liga stats:

57goals-110apps.

Hope that's OK.

This sound really dodgy, but nevertheless here goes....

Just read on Danish TV2 text-tv that Torres in A. Madrids last game against Real Sociedad droped his captains armband and a photographer got a picture of his upper arm where he has a tattoo saying: "you´ll never walk alone".

Speculations saying he might come here.

Their chairman said that he would only leave if his realese clause is meet...and that is 40 mill. euro.

Don´t shoot the messenger.....

However, I´d take em both!

Villa is the better player these days, but they are both excellent. If I had to choose it would be David Villa, but then there´s the case of the price.

This sound really dodgy, but nevertheless here goes....

Just read on Danish TV2 text-tv that Torres in A. Madrids last game against Real Sociedad droped his captains armband and a photographer got a picture of his upper arm where he has a tattoo saying: "you´ll never walk alone".

Speculations saying he might come here.

so he's off to Celtic then? :whistle: