You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The UKs Roughest Cities

KopKid1990

4 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Couldn’t find the shit towns thread...

Went out on the piss in Ebbw Vale last night, what a shithole. 

Beer was cheap though. 

Those two things might be linked.

Anyway, I vote for Nottingham. The East Midlands as a whole is no oil painting, but Nottingham is definitely the worst of the large conurbations that lie within.

There are some pretty grotty places in the UK but these days I just feel that ragging on them is a bit Tory. Ebbw Vale, for example as I'm very familiar with the area, really is a rundown area with little to no investment, no jobs and it's grim; but that's the legacy of the loss of heavy industry and neglect by central government. There are no jobs there and it shows.

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

There are some pretty grotty places in the UK but these days I just feel that ragging on them is a bit Tory. Ebbw Vale, for example as I'm very familiar with the area, really is a rundown area with little to no investment, no jobs and it's grim; but that's the legacy of the loss of heavy industry and neglect by central government. There are no jobs there and it shows.

I think it's part of our sense of humour too but get what you are saying & clearly the reasons why these places are 'shitholes' has little to do with the people who live there & everything to do with those in power over the years.

Having said that, Motherwell.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I hope you exclude Stoke from this truce.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RedKnight said:

Haha yeah Stoke isn't a particular nice place either and the people are not the type of people that I would get on with due to the politics of the area. Again, that's lack of investment and education.

Nah mate it's the extra chromosome !

Joking 

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

I think it's part of our sense of humour too but get what you are saying & clearly the reasons why these places are 'shitholes' has little to do with the people who live there & everything to do with those in power over the years.

Motherwell. Now that is a cunt of a yard 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with spit and sawdust, old style working class communities. I grew up in one and I’m proud of that fact. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Exactly. 

Look at at the comments about Wigan, Runcorn, Stoke, colour of wheelie bins etc. 

I was in Nottingham for a few hours once and it seemed okay.

Of course, it was in the middle of a glorious summer's day and I had a few lovely house ciders beside the castle, so maybe that helped sugar coat my impression.

As someone who has been drinking on Freeman Street in Grimsby I reckon it's got a decent shout. Most of the locals thought I was an undercover copper (for the lucky few of you who have met me you'll understand how that is a very unlikely scenario).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Em City said:

I was in Nottingham for a few hours once and it seemed okay.

Of course, it was in the middle of a glorious summer's day and I had a few lovely house ciders beside the castle, so maybe that helped sugar coat my impression.

Was that in the Trip to Jerusalem? Funny old place. Been inebriated in there a couple of times.

10 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Haverfordwest. Brother in law was in the army there and would never venture into town on a Friday or Saturday night. His mate did 2 tours of Iraq, one of Kosovo and 2 in Afghanistan yet came home and got stabbed to death on a night out there.

Christian Bale grew up there didn't he? 

I used to share digs with 2 lads from there in the Navy and we used to watch American Psycho all the time. Random as fuck when it turned out Bale was from there and they didn't even know. 

Que the navy gay jokes from the originals 

Corby is the correct answer. In a previous life I had to manage the refurbishment of their Boots store. Even Boots weren't too fussed about spending much money on it.

Loads of folk with a Scottish accent and look like they would be ideal extras for the new Amazon Lord of the Rings series. That combination is pretty intimidating.

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Christian Bale grew up there didn't he? 

I used to share digs with 2 lads from there in the Navy and we used to watch American Psycho all the time. Random as fuck when it turned out Bale was from there and they didn't even know. 

Que the navy gay jokes from the originals 

I think he did, either there or Pembroke Dock.  The actual town itself isn't that bad with some old buildings but it's just that there are so many scraps there with it being a military town. I've been to Aldershot as well and that has a similar moody feel to it. 

Pity because the areas on the coast such as Saundersfoot are really naturally beautiful. You can see why New South Wales was named after that area.

7 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Was that in the Trip to Jerusalem? Funny old place. Been inebriated in there a couple of times.

It was indeed. I loved it, the low ceilings made me feel like a giant.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Haverfordwest. Brother in law was in the army there and would never venture into town on a Friday or Saturday night. His mate did 2 tours of Iraq, one of Kosovo and 2 in Afghanistan yet came home and got stabbed to death on a night out there.

Spent a couple of weeks at my Aunties there back in the 1970s and it was a really nice place. It was a base for trips to some absolutely great towns in that part of South Wales,St Davids,Fishguard,Tenby,Milford Haven were all nice places. So sad to hear how these places have suffered from,as Mook said 'A lack of investment by cunts in charge of the countries.'

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...