You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Houllier addressed the Midfield?

Rashid

My first post to this very intelligent fora....

Has Gerard Houllier improved on the midfield he inherited? Has he addressed the issues? Has he replaced Macca? Or even found us our new John Barnes? Lets have a look at what he came into and what he has now.

In 1998 his best midfield was this one:

Macca Redknapp Ince Berger

Smicer Redknapp Hamann Berger

Smicer Gerrard Redknapp Berger

Smicer Gerrard Hamann Berger

Murphy Gerrard Hamann Berger

Gerrard Hamann McAllister Murphy

Murphy Gerrard Hamann Riise

Gerrard Hamann Diao Murphy

2002 is the one above.

Lets be honest here, please. Is this midfield (Gerrard Hamann Diao Murphy) better than the one we had in 1998? My opinion is that it is stronger physically but it is not better overall.

Discuss

• Downvote 1

Vic Hi mate,

I am changing and the progress being made is excellent. Cheyrou for me will be a star too but he needs games. Some playersd have come in and out of the side but the Hamann, Gerrard and Murphy axis has been ever present in the side for the last 2-3 years. It is doing well, now we have Diao in there. In all this I just feel we could do with a little more creativity in the wide areas. Like Macca used to give us.

Mcmanaman would certainly be challenging for the right wing berth in an all time Liverpool 11, the majority of the players you have stated are obviously left wingers, but his main rivals for the right wing slot are presumably only callaghan and to a degree mcdermot when he was fielded there. Both of whom had the luxury of playing in marvelous Liverpool sides gone by. McManaman however had the misfortune to play in the Souness and Evans era where his talent although it shone brightly was never harnessed to the level it might otherwise have done.

Thank you James. I have just discussed this with a 50 year old Red, and he was of the same opinion as you and me. There were a whole host of players better than Macca who played in Red.

He pointed out that Ian Hutchinson (ex-Chelsea player who passed away recently) said that Peter Thompson was a better winger than George Best, but Best had a better all-round game. Peter Thompsons used to beat the fullback, stop, let him get back in position, and then beat him again. Peter was a right-footed left winger who was kept on the right because of the great Ian Callaghan.

Rightly you have pointed out that between 1995 and 1997 McManaman was the once ray of sunshine (with Robbie) in that team, and then he faded badly.

Guest Swan Red

Chris,

Colin did call goldenvision but at least place the reply in context. A person makes a reasonable request and gets abused by goldenvision Colin then responds in kind.

Try at least to criticise him for posting regarding the actual thread you are responding in rather than take totally unrelated quotes out of context.

I find it hard to believe that Leena would have been Kopite. Surely some mistake. Maybe Al Campbell can back him up then?

How can he have other aliases on a registered forum anyway?

Guest Swan Red

Not based upon his performances in the time between the farce over barcelona and his actual leaving, Rashid.

I have no hesitation in acknowledging how good a player McManaman was at times but I would not want him back and I would not have him in my greatest 11.