You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Saw Cemetery Junction yesterday. I actually really enjoyed it. The humour isn't quite as funny as The Office but is still pretty good. I did actually care about the characters unlike some critics in reviews i've read. If you see it as an unoriginal, predictable comedy-drama then its very, very good. If you go in expecting anything more, or even a pure comedy - you will be disappointed.

Guest TesticleOReilly

Gervais and Merchant are money machines. The podcasts are great fun, been watching the cartoons since they started a while back, and at first I thought he was a cheeky twat, selling the podcast to HBO and having it rehashed as a cartoon. Then I thought he was a genius for selling the podcast to HBO and having it rehashed as a cartoon.

Good to listen to them again.

I like him, I think it's healthy to like a comedian who doesn't have to abuse every race, gender and sexual orientation to get laughs.

Religion, fat people and to a lesser extent disability / illnesses and homosexuality are reocurring themes on his stand up tours.

Religion and fat people are the two I find funniest. Both are probably to some extent justifiably ridiculed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't particularly like Gervais is anything other than Extras. I've not liked either of the two films of his that I've seen (Ghost Town and Invention of Lying). I'm surprised that he has been so successful. Good luck to him, though. People seem to like his stuff.

I like him, I think it's healthy to like a comedian who doesn't have to abuse every race, gender and sexual orientation to get laughs.

I can't find the link (and couldn't post it anyway) but he and Merchant insulted Victoria Wright, the actor with cherubism, on a radio show. In an interview with the Independent recently she says she still feels hurt by it. I didn't like him before and things like that are not actually going to change my view.

Saw Cemetery Junction yesterday. I actually really enjoyed it. The humour isn't quite as funny as The Office but is still pretty good. I did actually care about the characters unlike some critics in reviews i've read. If you see it as an unoriginal, predictable comedy-drama then its very, very good. If you go in expecting anything more, or even a pure comedy - you will be disappointed.

I can almost hear Gervais laughing at that. "I went to see Cemetary Junction. It wasn't as funny as The Office but it was alright."

Gervais and Merchant are absolute class, Gervais' Hollywood 'career' aside. I've just started listening to the Pilkington podcasts from the beginning. Superb stuff.

Sounds good. Not been overly impressed with his films, they're ok, but he excels at comedy. I thought they'd said they'd finished with sitcoms though?

Getting very bored of him banging on about atheism at every opportunity though. It's ok, we get it, you're an atheist:

BBC News - 'If I were Prime Minister...'

I really don't get what he has said wrong there. He makes a fantastic point.

Guest davelfc
Meh. Just sounded like two blokes trying to get a third bloke to say something stupid so they could just laugh at him.

Ssssh, like 'The Emperor's New Clothes' you're supposed to find it really funny and laugh a lot at it, otherwise you just haven't got a sense of humour.

• 4 months later...

The Office and Extras were quality. The speech he gave in the BB House on the Extras Xmas special was just fantastic. One of the best telly moments of the last few years, in my book.

His film stuff is distinctly average though, I reckon. The Invention Of Lying had a really good premise but ran out of steam after about 20 minutes or so.

I only hope that An Idiot Abroad is as funny as the preview, well the Pilkington parts of the preview are great, the gervais bit and his lanky sidekick are not.

What does Merchant do?