You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It was meant more as warning signs that im feelin for Gervais. Animals and Politics were surprising good considering his strength was not stand up, but I don't want him to become PK, although RG is by far a cleverer comedian. I think Flaminals (which was bought for me to go next to all my RG DVD's) started my worries.

"Basically Im a chilled out entertainer".

P.S. Also, I prefered the oroginal Dawn and not the 'Americanized' skinny one she has become.

Am I the only one who thinks "Dawn" is quite cute?

zoom.jpg

I think he's brilliant.

The Office was ace. I've actually never seen any of Extras though.

Stand up is tough nowadays. Everyone sees every joke. Politics and Animals were good, Fame was a bit shit. But then Peter Kay has struggled since he burst onto the scene. Love Phoenix nights too though.

The Office was good but Gervais himself is a pretty run of the mill comic, he'll never be the 'brilliant comic mind' that people build him up as; the same goes for Peter Kay.

And stand up is only difficult if you go at it from the same obvious angle that everyone else does, because then you have to be more creative in looking for material. Someone like Daniel Kitson though, for example, makes it look effortless becuase he sticks to his natural style instead of pushing the same comedy buttons and trying to force laughs out of the audience.

Edited by westderbian

• 2 months later...
Although I like Extras and his live stuff I can't help but wish he had stopped at 'The Office' which was superb. He seems to be becoming Peter Kay (ie Annoying fat cunt who believes his own hype and can't improve on his earlier work). Saw PK live few years ago but was dissapointed as most jokes seemed to come from his previous 'Blackpool tower' DVD.

Also, Max and Paddy was overrated.

The End. (Roaring Lion etc)

Gervais isnt like that at all, he's just a really funny fella, his stand up acts are really original.

Gervais is brilliant. Peter Kay is just that bloke you see down the pub on a friday, anybody could do his act!

True, but that's why he's so popular, it appeals to the bloke in the pub.

Parts of his stand up are exceptionally funny and Phoenix Nights is superb.

I downloaded all the XFM shows the other day to give them a listen again, they are so good the podcasts have a lot of the same stuff they did on XFM rehashed so it's not as spontaneous so the XFM shows are way funnier than the podcasts in my opinion.

People who think Karl Pilkington is a made up character just need to listen to them to see he is just a bit of a simpleton and a funny one at that.

• 1 year later...
BBC to screen Ricky Gervais sitcom about life of a dwarf

The BBC has commissioned Ricky Gervais's latest sitcom - about the day-to-day frustrations of a dwarf.

Published: 7:00AM BST 22 Apr 2010

'Life's Too Short' will star Warwick Davis, who took the lead role in the movie Willow, as well as appearing in the Harry Potter films.

A 30-minute pilot programme is to be screened by BBC2.

Gervais and comedy partner Stephen Merchant, who created The Office and Extras, have written the show and will be executive producers. The pair will also have roles.

The show is billed as ''an observation comedy'' giving an insight into Davis's daily life.

''It's a frustrating world, but an optimistic and warm one. This is a comedy where truth and big laughs sit side by side,'' said the BBC.

Davis is also known for his role as Wicket the Ewok in Return Of The Jedi.

Gervais said: ''We're having so much fun working with Warwick. Pound for pound he is one of the funniest men I know.''

BBC2 controller Janice Hadlow said: ''I'm very excited to see the return of Ricky and Stephen to BBC Two, but also to welcome Warwick Davis, a great talent, to the channel.

''Experimenting with innovative, broad appeal comedy projects are an important part of BBC2's plans for the future.''

Speaking about the project last week, before it had been commissioned, Gervais said: ''It's a cross between Extras and Curb your Enthusiasm and One Foot in the Grave but with a dwarf. That is out and out funny.''