You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

11 hours ago, Mook said:

Am I the only person who thinks it's a bit hypocritical given he works in Hollywood & never shuts up about animal rights?

Can't say it bothers me a great deal but I thought it was a bit odd that no-one else has pointed that out (that I know of).

Exactly what I thought.

The Office is one of my favourite programmes of all time, top 10, and I really enjoyed extras too. I also commend Gervais for his animals and wildlife stance, but aside from that I find him arrogant and irritating. His stand up does nothing for me and he comes across as “I’m in that world, but I get it, so I’m better”. Vis a vis - he does my tits in, but I love the office. 

Edit - that Brent film was one of the worst things I’d ever seen. Crawled all the way up his own hoop with that one. Turned Brent into Derek for some reason. I’ll never forgive him for that, like I’ll never forgive Ged and Thommo for selling Robbie.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I didnt like the British version of the Office and felt the US remake was much better. Don't think Gervais is much of a comedian but is an excellent writer and comedy actor.

Saying the US version of the office is better than the original, is like saying friends is wittier than Monty Python.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I didnt like the British version of the Office and felt the US remake was much better. Don't think Gervais is much of a comedian but is an excellent writer and comedy actor.

Was going to neg this but, fair enough, its your view. Its a fucking stupid view that I have never heard before, but a view nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, A Red said:

Was going to neg this but, fair enough, its your view. Its a fucking stupid view that I have never heard before, but a view nonetheless.

Why is it stupid? Peter Kay is a shit comedian but an excellent comedy actor and writer,the likes of Ronnie Barker too,although its unfair to mention Kay with Barker but its just to prove a point. I don't think being a good comedian and also a good comedy actor are mutually exclusive.

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Perfect example of what Gervais was talking about when Stella McCartney praises Joaquin Phoenix for wearing the same £10k suit to all award ceremonies.  I mean, fuck Greta, he’s the real hero. 

The bitch doesn't praise me for wearing my Next one every event I go too. Hypocrit.

I'm well aware that it's subjective, but the British version of The Office is better for so many reasons. I liked the American version, but i admit i lasted about four episodes after Carell left before i gave up. 

1) Believable characters. I'm sorry but Dwight and Michael became absolute caricatures and ridiculously unbelievable as the series progressed.

2) Believable storylines. The episode of the US Office where Jim puts an Asian version of himself at his desk (with a perfect knowledge of Jim's life and client history) would never have happened in the UK version, because the banal nature of the place they worked and the job itself was what made the characters situations funnier and as mentioned above, believable. 

2) It didn't outstay it's welcome. Two series and the Christmas specials was the perfect length and everyone got the ending they deserved. Perfect.  

3) Every individual character in the UK version was more likeable than their US counterparts* Jim and Pam were sound but got cloying in the end. Dawn and Tim never got to that stage, because it ended at the perfect time. Gareth was a million times better than Dwight, because he was basically pathetic and it didn't have to rely on tiresome Redneck/serial killer gags for you to realise it. And despite his patheticness, you still rooted for him.  

4)*yeah, even Finchy. 

5) So many quotable lines. I can't off the top of my head think of a single quote from the American version, whereas not a single day passes without me wanting to quote the UK version.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I'm well aware that it's subjective, but the British version of The Office is better for so many reasons. I liked the American version, but i admit i lasted about four episodes after Carell left before i gave up. 

1) Believable characters. I'm sorry but Dwight and Michael became absolute caricatures and ridiculously unbelievable as the series progressed.

2) Believable storylines. The episode of the US Office where Jim puts an Asian version of himself at his desk (with a perfect knowledge of Jim's life and client history) would never have happened in the UK version, because the banal nature of the place they worked and the job itself was what made the characters situations funnier and as mentioned above, believable. 

2) It didn't outstay it's welcome. Two series and the Christmas specials was the perfect length and everyone got the ending they deserved. Perfect.  

3) Every individual character in the UK version was more likeable than their US counterparts* Jim and Pam were sound but got cloying in the end. Dawn and Tim never got to that stage, because it ended at the perfect time. Gareth was a million times better than Dwight, because he was basically pathetic and it didn't have to rely on tiresome Redneck/serial killer gags for you to realise it. And despite his patheticness, you still rooted for him.  

4)*yeah, even Finchy. 

5) So many quotable lines. I can't off the top of my head think of a single quote from the American version, whereas not a single day passes without me wanting to quote the UK version.

Nailed it.

The UK version was incredibly 'human' and totally relatable.

I preferred him before he was a lazy, bloated caricature of his former self. Well, he was always bloated but you catch my drift. The irony of this idea of him speaking truth to power, when he’s really just telling tepid jokes to a room of his mates who’ve paid him to be there is not lost on me. 

On 08/01/2020 at 17:57, Elite said:

Nailed it.

The UK version was incredibly 'human' and totally relatable.

And for a programme so cynical in its humour it also provided one of the best feel-good endings to a tv series. It was pretty much pitch perfect. Even Brent made good at the end.

On 07/01/2020 at 20:42, belarus said:

Exactly what I thought.

The Office is one of my favourite programmes of all time, top 10, and I really enjoyed extras too. I also commend Gervais for his animals and wildlife stance, but aside from that I find him arrogant and irritating. His stand up does nothing for me and he comes across as “I’m in that world, but I get it, so I’m better”. Vis a vis - he does my tits in, but I love the office. 

Edit - that Brent film was one of the worst things I’d ever seen. Crawled all the way up his own hoop with that one. Turned Brent into Derek for some reason. I’ll never forgive him for that, like I’ll never forgive Ged and Thommo for selling Robbie.

They had to sell him so Rafa could welcome him home, it was biblical.

• Upvote 1

On 08/01/2020 at 08:34, VladimirIlyich said:

Why is it stupid? Peter Kay is a shit comedian but an excellent comedy actor and writer,the likes of Ronnie Barker too,although its unfair to mention Kay with Barker but its just to prove a point. I don't think being a good comedian and also a good comedy actor are mutually exclusive.

Ronnie barker was a bloody good writer, wrote a fair bit for the 2 ronnies anonymously, and Clarence was a good series.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

Ronnie barker was a bloody good writer, wrote a fair bit for the 2 ronnies anonymously, and Clarence was a good series.

I wasn't dissing Ronnie Barker at all. I was just pointing out that I wouldn't call him a 'comedian' more of a writer and actor of comedy ( a superb one) and a satirist. Kay is also a decent writer and actor of comedy but I don't find his 'comedian' acts funny at all. Gervais falls in between for me,again an excellent writer and performer of comedy but I don't personally find him funny outside of his comedy acting and writing roles. He's more of a satirist than Kay is of course.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wasn't dissing Ronnie Barker at all. I was just pointing out that I wouldn't call him a 'comedian' more of a writer and actor of comedy ( a superb one) and a satirist. Kay is also a decent writer and actor of comedy but I don't find his 'comedian' acts funny at all. Gervais falls in between for me,again an excellent writer and performer of comedy but I don't personally find him funny outside of his comedy acting and writing roles. He's more of a satirist than Kay is of course.

Ah sorry Vlad, I thought you were suggesting he was a poor writer. He never really did stand up, but the desk slots with the little fella were basically that and shitloads better than what was being peddled on the comedians around that time.