You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I only hope that An Idiot Abroad is as funny as the preview, well the Pilkington parts of the preview are great, the gervais bit and his lanky sidekick are not.

What does Merchant do?

Have you ever listened to the podcasts? Merchant is the funniest of the lot. It's just that he doesn't come out with outrageous bollocks like Karl does. Merchant is the unsung hero of everything good Gervais has ever done (other than the first 3 standups)

• 3 years later...

I hold my hands up on this one but did anyone see him on The One Show last night? One of the funniest bits of tv I've seen in a long time. Now, I can never decide if I like him or not (I think he's growing on me) but he was hilarious last night. Jay Rayner had set up this comparing Christmas recipes thing and was commenting on it when he said something, probably involving sausagemeat, which cracked Gervais up and then everything Rayner said after that just came out worse and worse. Gervais completely lost it and then Alex whatsername had to do this piece to camera to apologise for him, which made him worse and then it cut to 4 old ladies in the studio eating Christmas dinner on their laps, apparently oblivious to what had gone on. Absolutely surreal

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

yep i saw it too.....quality,kept saying to myself (when Nigella Lawsons name was mentioned "please don't say anything Ricky!")! And i'm like you can't really decide whether i like him (professionally) but think he would be a  great laugh down the pub.......but on TV? Not really my cup of tea...as for the stand up? Well that's a no no for me but having said that you can't argue with the fella's talent....and i think he's an all round nice geezer by the looks of him.

I like him because he always seems to be laughing. I don't think he'd ever be boring to be around. He was funny on the One Show last night. I especially liked the 'Robbie Biggs' bit. The lass, while fit, seemed to be agitated by him the entire show. 

I've never watched any of his shows bar the Office and Extras. The latter is funny, the former is one of the best TV shows ever made. Absolute classic. 

• 6 years later...

Gervais then plugged his own Netflix show After Life, in which he plays a man who wants to kill himself. “OK, spoiler alert, season two is on the way, so in the end obviously he didn’t kill himself,” he said. “Just like Jeffrey Epstein.” As the crowd groaned, he added, “Shut up! I know he’s your friend, but I don’t care. You had to make your own way here on your own plane, didn’t you?!” 

That may have been the most don’t-give-a-damn joke of Gervais’ opening monologue, but it wasn’t the last. He called James Corden a “fat pussy,” joked about Judi Dench “licking her own [bleep]” and then for his coup de grâce, took on the big new corporate-run streaming services—and the actors who eagerly sign up to work for them.

“You say you’re woke but the companies you work for—Apple, Amazon, Disney... If ISIS started a streaming service, you would call your agent, wouldn’t you? So if you do win an award tonight, don’t use it as a platform to make a political speech, right? You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world.”

“Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg,” he continued. “So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent and your god, and fuck off.”

ENkEAGPW4AEI0Wy.jpg

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ricky-gervais-golden-globes-monologue-mocks-hollywoods-jeffrey-epstein-ties

5 minutes ago, Bee Jesus said:

Gervais then plugged his own Netflix show After Life, in which he plays a man who wants to kill himself. “OK, spoiler alert, season two is on the way, so in the end obviously he didn’t kill himself,” he said. “Just like Jeffrey Epstein.” As the crowd groaned, he added, “Shut up! I know he’s your friend, but I don’t care. You had to make your own way here on your own plane, didn’t you?!” 

That may have been the most don’t-give-a-damn joke of Gervais’ opening monologue, but it wasn’t the last. He called James Corden a “fat pussy,” joked about Judi Dench “licking her own [bleep]” and then for his coup de grâce, took on the big new corporate-run streaming services—and the actors who eagerly sign up to work for them.

“You say you’re woke but the companies you work for—Apple, Amazon, Disney... If ISIS started a streaming service, you would call your agent, wouldn’t you? So if you do win an award tonight, don’t use it as a platform to make a political speech, right? You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world.”

“Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg,” he continued. “So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your agent and your god, and fuck off.”

ENkEAGPW4AEI0Wy.jpg

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ricky-gervais-golden-globes-monologue-mocks-hollywoods-jeffrey-epstein-ties

Thats pretty good,to his credit.

Am I the only person who thinks it's a bit hypocritical given he works in Hollywood & never shuts up about animal rights?

Can't say it bothers me a great deal but I thought it was a bit odd that no-one else has pointed that out (that I know of).

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

detested The Office

What? How?

10 hours ago, Mook said:

Am I the only person who thinks it's a bit hypocritical given he works in Hollywood & never shuts up about animal rights?

Can't say it bothers me a great deal but I thought it was a bit odd that no-one else has pointed that out (that I know of).

Yeah, I agree. It was all a bit predictable and tired. Also, he's worth £130m and is absolutely 'one of them'. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I can't stand Gervais, detested The Office, really gets on my wick.

That said, I really enjoyed Afterlife, his Twitter account is frequently spot on, and his little speech there was bang on the money.

It's fair to say the fat git is growing on me.

I didnt like the British version of the Office and felt the US remake was much better. Don't think Gervais is much of a comedian but is an excellent writer and comedy actor.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1