You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Players Should Cough Up For Nurses

Jay Glover

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think nurses do a great job, however.....

Putting people on guilt trips, no matter how much they earn or what job they do, isn't going to get them to donate their money.

They pay their taxes like the rest of us, and personally, would hate to see 40% of my salary going to the fucking taxman.

Most would agree that nurses/teacher should be better paid, and if the government sorted their shit out maybe, it will change, but I doubt it.

There are a decent percentage of our players who donate a hell of a lot of their own money to charities, good causes, so trying to pick the right one is an impossible task and one that will never meet with general approval.

I think nurses do a great job, however.....

Putting people on guilt trips, no matter how much they earn or what job they do, isn't going to get them to donate their money.

They pay their taxes like the rest of us, and personally, would hate to see 40% of my salary going to the fucking taxman.

Most would agree that nurses/teacher should be better paid, and if the government sorted their shit out maybe, it will change, but I doubt it.

There are a decent percentage of our players who donate a hell of a lot of their own money to charities, good causes, so trying to pick the right one is an impossible task and one that will never meet with general approval.

I tell you this there is nothing more de motivational (if thats a word) than 40% tax. A few years ago I had a realy good year worked like a dog, even had the wife , pregnant at the time, working 14 hour days. I thought I'd made a load of cash. The year settled down and we planned for next year. Extra staff bit more equipment etc.

Went to see the accountant and his first words were well done great year. I felt like Don King. His next words were the bad news is you owe Hm inspector of taxes X amount which was more than we had. Total fuckin stich up.

Since then we just do enough and no more. In this country it aint worth the grief.

This never ceases to do my head in. Go to Scandinavia and you'll pay a high rate of tax, and in return your kids will get a decent education, your health will be safeguarded, and you might actually be able to see out your old age in some dignity. Go to many, less developed parts of the world, however, and you'll have no tax to pay at all - and they'll let you die in the street of whatever preventable disease is wreacking havoc there at any given time.

The British spend half their lives complaining about how terrible all the infrastructure is here, and the other half moaning about paying too much tax.

This never ceases to do my head in. Go to Scandinavia and you'll pay a high rate of tax, and in return your kids will get a decent education, your health will be safeguarded, and you might actually be able to see out your old age in some dignity. Go to many, less developed parts of the world, however, and you'll have no tax to pay at all - and they'll let you die in the street of whatever preventable disease is wreacking havoc there at any given time.

The British spend half their lives complaining about how terrible all the infrastructure is here, and the other half moaning about paying too much tax.

Ill take care of mine and my own thank you very much. I object to paying for stella and weed for 20 year old lads who do fuck all all day

Correct Danny. However, a bit of a difference on the tax bills mate. Between the Scandys and us I mean.

Correct Danny. However, a bit of a difference on the tax bills mate. Between the Scandys and us I mean.

I know, Andy, but I think there's a huge false economy at work with that - over here we pay less tax, but if we ever need to go anywhere by train/pay for childcare/get dental work done, etc etc etc we soon find the "saving" catches up with us - and then we all start moaning about what a state the country's in.

Go to Scandinavia and you'll pay a high rate of tax, and in return your kids will get a decent education, your health will be safeguarded, and you might actually be able to see out your old age in some dignity.

Good luck getting a job or starting your own business though. In Sweden (for example) youth unemployment is 25%, no net jobs have been created in the private sector since the 50s (all job creation has been in the public sector - yay big government) and immigrants find it very hard to get work. In Norway, the sale of alcohol is controlled through a state monopoly and beer prices are some of the highest in the world.

In Scandinavia the influence of the state manages to put everyone in a straightjacket where, in various ways, everyone is dependent on the state for their livelihoods and they realise and have to live with it.

Hey, maybe you like that sort of thing, and no doubt we'll find out soon enough how much we enjoy living in an authoritarian mediocracy here too, but I wouldn't call it Utopia myself.

Back on topic, of course the whole thing is an absolute nonsense. I sort of agree with Hermes' general point about people choosing nursing as a career, but he's being a bit harsh; much of the blame lies with our current government who thought it would be a good idea to train too many nurses, and ship in loads from overseas too.

Good luck getting a job or starting your own business though. In Sweden (for example) youth unemployment is 25%, no net jobs have been created in the private sector since the 50s (all job creation has been in the public sector - yay big government) and immigrants find it very hard to get work. In Norway, the sale of alcohol is controlled through a state monopoly and beer prices are some of the highest in the world.

In Scandinavia the influence of the state manages to put everyone in a straightjacket where, in various ways, everyone is dependent on the state for their livelihoods and they realise and have to live with it.

Hey, maybe you like that sort of thing, and no doubt we'll find out soon enough how much we enjoy living in an authoritarian mediocracy here too, but I wouldn't call it Utopia myself.

No, of course, you're right; far better for Britain to scale back the state in all its forms, seek to dismantle whatever's left of the NHS and comprehensive education, and let the entrepreneurs do what they do best.

After all, the 80s were fucking great to live through, weren't they?

No, of course, you're right; far better for Britain to scale back the state in all its forms, seek to dismantle whatever's left of the NHS and comprehensive education, and let the entrepreneurs do what they do best.

Is that what I said? I take it the phrase "happy median" isn't in your vocabulary?

And there's no need to take that sarcastic tone with me just because I'm presenting an opposing view to you. I happen to believe 60% tax isn't a good thing; this doesn't make me something you just trod in in the street.

After all, the 80s were fucking great to live through, weren't they?

Well, I certainly enjoyed all those league titles and European Cups...

Is that what I said? I take it the phrase "happy median" isn't in your vocabulary?

And there's no need to take that sarcastic tone with me just because I'm presenting an opposing view to you. I happen to believe 60% tax isn't a good thing; this doesn't make me something you just trod in in the street.

Give me an example of a country that provides the levels of healthcare and education enjoyed in, say, Finland or Denmark, while taxing people at a rate no-one would complain about and you might have your happy median (medium?). Clearly, we don't have it in Britain though - because as soon as the subject of tax comes up, people start complaining about what a ridiculous burden it is in this country... and yet no-one seems happy with our schools and hospitals either.

People all over the world would kill for the chance of an education for their kids and reliable, accessible healthcare - and what we do? Bitch about tax and let the whole lot be sold out under us to shitty business interests.

Naturally I'm sorry for any offence, although I'm sure there's one or two on here who might be surprised at your sudden transformation into a delicate flower when it comes to people's tones.

Give me an example of a country that provides the levels of healthcare and education enjoyed in, say, Finland or Denmark, while taxing people at a rate no-one would complain about and you might have your happy median (medium?).

As I understand it, nobody provides better education than the Nordic nations, and I'd quite happily see us adopt their kind of system here, although I don't think we'd necessarily need to increase taxes to pay for it.

So far as healthcare is concerned, according to the World Health Report 2006 Denmark spends 9% of its GDP on health, Finland 7.4%, Norway 10.3% and Sweden 9.4%. We spend 8%, although I understand our healthcare is better than Denmark and Finland's. Italy and France are the best in Europe, and their rates are 8.4 and 10.1 respectively.

So there's not a huge variation in cost there to be honest. Where the Scandies pay through the nose is for stuff like unemployment benefit (cos they have so many unemployed and they pay a very generous rate too) and disability benefit, which is even more generous and is generally used to massage the unemployment figures.

The overriding point is you don't have to pay a fortune in tax to get good services. The Swedes are about to find this out as they had the good sense to ditch the social democrats at the last election.

Naturally I'm sorry for any offence, although I'm sure there's one or two on here who might be surprised at your sudden transformation into a delicate flower when it comes to people's tones.

Ahaha. I am always polite and courteous to people unless they insult me first (whether intentionally, or simply by insulting my intelligence).

Um, the players give more to the nurses than any one of us - where does Reo-coker think his substantial taxes are going to? Straight to the government who will then pay the nurses. No Liverpool footballer should be under obligation to give up his pay for anybody, regardless of how wealthy they are.

Going off topic but why is it my local hospital is asking for donations and raffles etc to raise £250,000 for some important equipment for the childrens ward and yet a Theatre that shows Swan Lake gets £40 million given to it from The National Lottery hmm hold on let me think what s more important Swan Lake or saving a babies life.

Near me is a centre called The Earth Centre which was again given millions from the Lottery for people to go look at some worms and surprise surprise its shut down.

This country should get its priorites right.

This whole idea makes my blood boil.

The country is flooded with nurses from all over the world. When my dad was in Hammersmith London hospital it was hard to find an english speaking nurse.

Current starting salary for a newly-qualified nurse £20026 · Current starting salary for a newly-qualified teacher £19641

This is hardly bad pay in my book.

Whats next some moron calling my us to give our wages to help hard up poles and eastern europeans who have to survive on £5 an hour at maccy Dees !!!

This whole idea makes my blood boil.

The country is flooded with nurses from all over the world. When my dad was in Hammersmith London hospital it was hard to find an english speaking nurse.

Current starting salary for a newly-qualified nurse £20026 · Current starting salary for a newly-qualified teacher £19641

This is hardly bad pay in my book.

Whats next some moron calling my us to give our wages to help hard up poles and eastern europeans who have to survive on £5 an hour at maccy Dees !!!

Why specifically them and not local people who work at Macdonalds?

Who here would genuinely consider giving a fair chuck of money to charity on a regular basis if they earn't an extreme amount of money?

If I was Gerrard earning 90k a week I'd be looking at giving out £20k per week at least to good causes, probably far more. I don't think i'd feel comfortable in doing nothing for those less fortunate than me.

If I was Gerrard earning 90k a week I'd be looking at giving out £20k per week at least to good causes, probably far more. I don't think i'd feel comfortable in doing nothing for those less fortunate than me.

He's probably paying nearly double the amount you have suggested in income tax per week, how many times do you want him to pay up?