You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Billy Connolly.

Kopite

Its fashionable to knock Connelly these days because of the wealth and association with the rich and famous, but he's still one of the best stand ups there has ever been.

Saw him in Nottingham about 10 years ago and I was willing him to stop, because I was in physical pain from laughing.

Guest Cock-Fillet

It will be a great day in television history when that twat is finaly kicked off the box. Who in the right mind would buy his boxset. Was it a birthday present off somebody who blatanly wants you dead? Melt your frontal lobes with his shit highland humour. Scots are good for one thing, making whiskey and killing the english. not comedy.

When you're on the edge, you sometimes go over the line. What a fucking dismal world it would be if comedians played it safe all the time for fear of offending people.

If he said something about Hillsborough though you'd probably have something to say about it wouldnt you?

If he said something about Hillsborough though you'd probably have something to say about it wouldnt you?

I'd be surprised if there's any funny jokes that can be made about Hillsborough.

I think if Ricky Gervais can make Holocaust jokes though, that pretty much anything can be the subject of humour.

I'd be surprised if there's any funny jokes that can be made about Hillsborough.

I think if Ricky Gervais can make Holocaust jokes though, that pretty much anything can be the subject of humour.

Was it acually a joke he made?

I can just remember something about him saying it was boring now and would they just fucking get on with it, before making a chopping gesture.

Roy Chubby Brown thought so. He was telling Hillsborough jokes at Sheffield City Hall on the evening of 15th April '89. My housemate walked out.

Do us a favour mate and don't compare Hillsborough to a bloke who stayed in a warzone despite it obviously being likely to cost him his life because he was earning a fortune.

• Downvote 1

Do us a favour mate and don't compare Hillsborough to a bloke who stayed in a warzone despite it obviously being likely to cost him his life because he was earning a fortune.

Seriously Stu, did Ken Bigley deserve to die for working in a foreign country?

Come on Stu. All he was doing was trying to earn a living. You can argue he was a fool to take the risk, but it doesn't mean he's any less innocent than our fans who died watching a football match.

I shall let my auntie Lil know you send her regards.

I didnt compare them, both have affected my life more than you will ever know. I was merely saying that Connolly is a cunt in my and my families eyes for what he said. Its nice to know there are some people who feel the same way.

• Upvote 1

Come on Stu. All he was doing was trying to earn a living. You can argue he was a fool to take the risk, but it doesn't mean he's any less innocent than our fans who died watching a football match.

I find the comparison insulting. There is a massive difference between going to watch a game of football and dying and insisting on continuing to work in an occupied country where you have been warned it is fatally unsafe to be.

• Downvote 1

The only reason I brought Hillsborough into because I needed to show you that whatever the situation its not funny when someone like connolly takes the piss out of a situation which is either close to your heart ie. Hillsborough for all reds or someone you are related to was involved either fellow reds who had relatives involved on April 15th 89' or in my case our Ken.

When Connolly said that it was right at the height of it all, it was common knowledge and it wasnt very nice being in that situation anyway let alone one of the nations biggest comics having a grin at your expense.

He was taking risks but it wasnt obvious like you say he had worked in the gulf for over 20 years,but he didnt deserve to die let alone have it dragged out in front of his elderly mums eyes and beheaded before the world.

There is a massive difference between going to watch a game of football and dying and insisting on continuing to work in an occupied country where you have been warned it is fatally unsafe to be.

Well, let's not forget that in the 80s football matches were hardly a walk in the park and that there was a very real risk to your personal safety in attending them. By this logic, the fans who attended a football match at a ground where fears for safety had been previously raised ought to accept some of the responsibility for their own deaths then? I don't like this line of reasoning one little bit.

Well, let's not forget that in the 80s football matches were hardly a walk in the park and that there was a very real risk to your personal safety in attending them. By this logic, the fans who attended a football match at a ground where fears for safety had been previously raised ought to accept some of the responsibility for their own deaths then? I don't like this line of reasoning one little bit.

Hardly a walk in the park is not the same as a war zone.

How many people had been killed in the kop compared to how many people killed in Iraq. I think you will find one far outstrips the other.

• 14 years later...