You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Agger interview

Shifty

Shamelessly nicked off of RAWK.

Agger Talks

Visiting Denmark’s new starplayer in Liverpool.

Since Christmas, Daniel Agger has featured in the starting eleven in 12 out of 15 matches. The 22-year-old central defender has had a great start in England – and an even better in Liverpool FC – but a lot better in Denmark. The surroundings have changed, but Daniel Agger does not let it affect him.

They let us through the first checkpoint at the training area in Melwood: The gates of Deysbrook Lane. Here, the fans are waiting with a patience, so impressive that you would believe they lived and breathed for “the reds”. Which is probably not far from the truth. As one of them says: “It’s in my blood.”

We have reached the reception. This is the where we can see – and feel, the obvious difference between one of the largest Danish clubs: Brøndby IF, and one of the worlds largest clubs: Liverpool FC.

Faxes and phonecalls between the us and the club gave us the impression, that if we arrived on time, we could watch Daniel train and then take a drive to Anfield, where he could show us around, and tell us something about football-life in Liverpool.

The guy, who arranged the appointment, is suddenly busy. We cannot reach him through the staff or on his cell. He is nowhere to be found. Instead of him, a strict and very unimpressed young lady, who frankly doesn’t care about appointments she doesn’t know of. The message is clear: No access to the training grounds. And when you look back at the reception and take a look at the calendar for the 15th of March, it’s a whole lot easier to understand why she isn’t the least bit bothered, that reporters from Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten doesn’t find the situation satisfying.

Journalists from countries all over the world, walks constantly through the glassdoors. It looks like a dentist office, with reporters from Eurosport and Sky Sports, in Melwoods red sofas, while the players comes out for short interviews. In front of us walks Craig Bellamy to the secretary, wanting to know who is waiting for him today. Seconds after that, it’s Jermaine Pennants turn to tell a story to the cameras.

Agger Talks

Finally, Daniel Agger comes out of the locker rooms. A good surprise, immediately followed by a disappointment. We are showed into a small glass-room not far from the reception, and it’s useless to try and change it. A walk in Anfield or a drive in the city is not going to happen. “No, they are not going to let that happen. It’s very different than in Denmark. They’re very strict with things like that, and if they could avoid it, I think they would refuse anyone to even speak to us.” Says Daniel Agger. It would be a lot easier in Brøndby. “Yes, but that’s just the way we do it home.”

As he sits there and talks in the glass-room, which most of all resembles an interrogation room, he fits very badly into the, not talking – almost silent – role the Danish and English press has given him.

He talks about a year, where he has fought to show his worth. About a temper, he is still learning to control, that still burns inside of him. About being self-critical, and about choosing a life as a professional, completely thought-out, all loses taken in to consideration. About enjoying life, until he made it into the first team in Brøndby.

Despite that, you can sense that he has two gears, when he talks. A completely normal and a slow-moving. There are the things he wants to talk about, and things he doesn’t share with strangers. It’s not only the private stuff he doesn’t want to talk about. It’s also everything concerning the fanning of the flames, the talent from Brøndby who made it into one of the best clubs in the world. Or said in a different way: His success as a football-player.

It is not the lack of confidence, which he made clear at the first press-conference in Liverpool, with the infamous words: I’m not here to sit on the bench. Today, he repeats the missed adding of the words: But I’m also a realist.

“I wouldn’t have signed the contract if I didn’t think I could make it to the first team, so it was actually pretty simple. I know it takes time, I was only 21, and I knew I had to get used to everything. But I think it went rather fast.” Daniel Agger tells.

Agger back and forth

The more he tells – and the longer we get in the interview – It gets more and more convincing when he explains that: on one hand, his stay in Liverpool is a dream come true, on the other hand, it’s like being at an away game all the time. Of course there is a difference in playing at Brøndby IF and Liverpool FC – or I wouldn’t have left.

“Then I would have stayed in Denmark. There is no place like Denmark, and you realize that the moment you leave,” he says and thinks a bit. Then he repeats thoughtfully.

“You do.”

A year and three months in Liverpool hasn’t changed his feeling for Denmark, or where he wants to live for that matter. Praise from teammates and coach Benitez, and ”man of the match” titles are not going to either.

“I wouldn’t say that I have a need for security, but it’s like this: Where I’m born and raised, is just the place for me. There is nothing better. Of course my friends and family live there – and Copenhagen, the coolest city in the world. And suddenly you’re here.” He says and stops. Then adds quickly. “It’s not because I don’t like it in Liverpool. I’m okay here. It’s just not the same.”

Show his worth

When you look back on the year since his debut on 1st of February last year against Birmingham, he looks like a confident young footballer that quietly wedged himself into the starting eleven for Liverpool FC. The club who won the Champions League only two years prior and are now well on their way to the playoffs again, and Daniel Agger has definitely played a part in that. I think you can say, without too much exaggerating, Agger, lets his performance say whatever needs to be said. He has played in a way, on -and off pitch, that makes him unavoidable in the starting eleven. Questions from the press, about whether or not he would get the spot in different important matches, has calmly been answered: It’s not my place to decide. I’m a footballplayer – not a coach.

His reaction could, but shouldn’t, be interpreted as lack of caring. Behind the walls in Melwood, Agger has repeatedly fought with injuries, and his own patience. And he’s pushed himself hard – sometimes too hard – to show his worth.

“I got some stupid injuries in the first match, which is out of my control. It’s frustrating, but it happens. I could feel it in three-four months, and that’s a long time when you’ve just begun at a new club, and you want to prove yourself: You want to show who you are, and why they bought you in the first place. So it was a bit depressing with an injury like that. Especially because no one was a 100% sure what we were dealing with. It was a rare injury,” he tells.

Who helped you in that time, did you get any support?

“Nah,” says Daniel Agger and breathes slowly. He holds a short break before continuing: “I don’t think I’m the type who takes things to heavily. Shit happens, it’s just the way it is. You have to let it be, and let time work it’s magic. But I screwed up a couple of times by starting to early. I said I was ready, even though I knew very well that I wasn’t. But you just want to start again.

But didn’t anyone try to stop you?

“Well… The doctors weren’t too happy about it, but when I say I’m fine, there really isn’t anything they can do to stop me. After all, it’s my responsibility to say if I’m ready or not. The doctors can’t really say anything unless my leg is broken. “ says Daniel Agger.

Hot-tempered and calm

Extreme will is Daniel Aggers biggest strength and weakness. It has been his road to success, but it‘s also been endangering to his career, until he learned how to handle it. Three years ago, talentscout in Brøndby Tom Køhlert predicted Daniel Agger would become huge. At the same time, he pointed out Daniel Agger needed more discipline. If the young player didn’t learn to calm himself down and behave, it would be difficult to use his talent anywhere.

Is it still like that, and what was the problem?

“I was too hot-tempered,” he says and huffs. “If some little shit stepped on my foot, I would stamp at least 10 times harder on his.” Daniel Agger is still somewhat like that, but he is learning to control it.

“I’m still like that – on the inside. If someone pushes, I completely loose it. I can be angry and aggressive, but I’m learning to control myself. Which I am really happy about,” he tells.

Very little temper is visible in the glass-room in Melwood. Daniel Agger is leaning backwards on a chair with a calm expression, while he talks. Which, is the impression he gives in interviews and appearances on TV, before and after matches.

Don’t you ever get nervous?

“Yes, I believe everyone does. When I play football, I at least know I’m good at it. Or decent,” he correct himself and gets interrupted by laughter from the photographer. And it is actually quite comical, the way he holds back when he’s asked to talk about his talent. Soon after that, he does it again, when we start talking about being a talent in Brøndby.

How was it like, moving to Liverpool as an anonymous talent in Brøndby…

“Talent? Well, I don’t know about that… No.”

Self-criticism

It appears, that Daniel Agger doesn’t let other people’s opinions and views affect him. He has his own opinion, and those are the only one that matters – to him.

When we ask him about the two latest Champions League clashes against Barcelona, he isn’t satisfied even though he helped defeating last year’s champions.

“You’re can’t be satisfied when they score against you. And not at all when we lose the last match. I don’t understand that.” He says, putting the pressure on ‘at all’, while he gets up from the chair. You can sense a touch of the temper he talked about earlier.

“But, we could really use the result. The result counted,” he says as an explanation.

When Daniel Agger seems humble, it’s usually because, he is never completely satisfied with his performance. “Of course, it’s always nice getting credit, but you can always do better, and that’s how I feel. If I play a good match I always think: I could have done better. Of course you have to sit down and say: Damn, that was some good football today …but there is always something you can do better.”

Are you always self-critical?

“Yes, I am. Maybe too much sometimes.”

Always himself

You only have to spend a couple of seconds at the entrance at Melwood to know: Those behind the old concrete walls live a completely different life, from all these people, standing on each others shoulder trying to sneak a peek. Daniel Agger and the other players are stars. But it is also about, what life as a professional footballplayer means: a lot less partying and very little time to do what you want. Daniel Agger came to terms with that, back in his days at the Brøndby first team. “There are a numerous matches, a lot of training, but it was like that too in Brøndby. It’s a choice you make. If you want to be a professional footballplayer, you have to live that life. But I suggest you think about it before deciding.” he says.

And Daniel Agger had a chance to think. He wasn’t thrown headfirst into a career as a professional; he was old enough to know exactly who he was, and what he wanted.

“Plenty of my former teammates, signed their first contract, when they were 16 and started making money. It wasn’t exactly what I got, but instead I didn’t have any obligations towards my club. I enjoyed life and did what I felt like doing. I went to all the parties I could and did what I wanted. I’ve enjoyed life until – well until I started playing in the first team in Brøndby.” The photographer starts laughing again – but this time in understanding – and Daniel Agger explains.

“You understand. I think there is difference in being the one who strives after being a professional footballplayer, since he’s 10, and me. I either became one, or I didn’t. I think that’s the reason why the relationship with my friends is so strong.”

How is it over here? Do you have the chance to relax and party?

“It’s a bit more difficult now. But that’s just the way it is. It was my own choice.”

Daniel Aggers view, and horizons might have changed, but on the inside, he hasn’t changed much. “ I think I’m still the same kid who ran around on Brøndby’s field 27, or what’s it called now. I haven’t changed, and I am not going to either. It is only the outside that’s changed, and that happens. It happens to everyone. Something new happens all the time.”

Liverpool Taxidriver on Agger

“Agger is amazing, and he has a great shot.”

John Owens, youthcoach in Liverpool on Agger

“Agger seems to have settled down in the club really well. He is playing really well right now.”

Steven Gerrard on Agger

“Daniel is so good, that he has all chances of becoming a real Liverpool legend. He has a great future in front of him, and I believe, that Daniel will play for Liverpool in many, many years from now. He’ll be one of the club’s big players.”

Carragher on Agger

“Ever since he started here, he’s looked like a typical Liverpool-central-defender from the time with Mark Lawrenson and Alan Hansen, and he is very good with a ball.

Hyypia on Agger

“No player likes getting benched, but Daniel Agger plays really well, and Jamie Carragher is one of our most important players, so there is healthy competition.”

Coach Benitez on Agger

“I worry that people compare Daniel with players like Alan Hansen and other great defenders from the club’s history. He is too young for that and still has a lot to learn. But he is also a young player who knows what he wants. If you see him at training you know he is focused and confident. He is a player for the future, but he is also good now.”