You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Comedians?

Section_31

yep, it was very good - I read his autobiography too - he's supposed to be writing the next instalment of that at the moment.  He relayed some of the stories he couldn't or didn't include in the TV series this week.  really funny. 

Cradle to Grave? I had to stop watching that, as I felt it lacked authenticity. Set in the seventies, I thought there was far too much modern dialogue. Peter Kay's accent was bizarre, too. Up there with Dick Van Dyke's in Mary Poppins.

Yep, Bill Hicks is a bit shit really.  Russels Kane and Howard too.  Comedians for people with no sense of humour.  Though it's interesting to see how Russel Kane has softened in the last few years - a definite and deliberate change in direction for him, and it has meant he's improved a bit.  Not sure about Josie Long though - I want to like her, as I'll often go for the underdog, but I think her writing is usually poor and material weak.  

I did go to watch Danny Baker live this week - I thought he was brilliant.  At the bar in the venue at 7.30 the 5 minute bell goes.  I thought, at least if he starts early, we'll get a few in after the show before last orders.  I was wrong.  He went on until the venue curfew at ten past 11.  

His reflections on growing up on a council estate were very reminiscent of my own childhood in Kirkdale.  I was looking around the audience (this was in Guildford) thinking 'how many of these people can relate to any of this?', but he went down really well.  

Schoolboy error there Stringy, the man can talk for England. He used to irritate me on 606 and when he was on TV in the early 90's for that exact reason, he just wouldn't (or couldn't) let anyone else get a word in. However, he has become a lot more tolerable as he has got older, and his record discussion show that was on BBC4 a few years ago was a gem.  

Schoolboy error there Stringy, the man can talk for England. He used to irritate me on 606 and when he was on TV in the early 90's for that exact reason, he just wouldn't (or couldn't) let anyone else get a word in. However, he has become a lot better as he has got older, and his record discussion show that was on BBC4 a few years ago was a gem.  

Yep.  Over 3 hours of unscripted dialogue, most of it hilarious, was above and beyond what I expected though.  He didn't even get as far as his 'uneven' career.  The other thing that I found was extraordinary was his physical energy and stamina.  He's in remission now, but he was very ill a few years ago, and he constantly bounded from side to side of what is a pretty big stage - non stop movement.  Very impressive.  

And the answer is red sauce.

Bill Hicks

Steven Wright

Robin Williams

Steve Martin

Ed Byrne

Dylan Moran

I saw Steven Wright about 18 years ago at the Royal Court. Almost had to walk out because I genuinely thought I was going to have a heart attack from laughing so much

My mate met Bill Hicks on his tour in 89 or 90. Apparently after the show he was in the bar of the theatre he'd played (maybe the Neptune) and my mate shouted over to him "Bill". Hicks replied "Hey, someone used my name" and came over for a chat

My mate had an Andrew Dice Clay t-shirt on and asked Bill if he liked him. He said "No" and walked off

And that was my mate's brush with greatness

Wish I could rep you for having mentioned Steven Wright,hes absolutely brilliant my type of comedy. I loved both him and Emo Phillips at their 80s/90s peak and still watch their old routines on youtube now,occasionally.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

These are two just outside the 'top teir', at least for me, but very funny.

Mark Normand:

https://youtu.be/tDolNU89SXI

Simon Amstell:

https://youtu.be/K4mH6E0hMbI

Saw Anstell years ago at a comedy club in Liverpool and he was excellent. Some guy in the audience made a mild heckle about his looking like a certain film star and was then orally turned into a puddle of piss by Simon launching  a 15 minute hilarious diatribe about Michael Caine at him. The guy was begging for mercy by the end.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Saw Anstell years ago at a comedy club in Liverpool and he was excellent. Some guy in the audience made a mild heckle about his looking like a certain film star and was then orally turned into a puddle of piss by Simon launching  a 15 minute hilarious diatribe about Michael Caine at him. The guy was begging for mercy by the end.

I think I saw his first ever big gig on his first ever tour, and it was pretty terrible, but I loved him from buzzcocks and understood he was still honing his routine. Glad to see he's really built on it and would love to see him live again.