You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi: Barca close to my heart

Thants

Only £16m, that implies that both Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves are worth more than he is! £20m starting bid!

Exactly what I thought, it only seems to be English clubs that are expected to pay over the odds.

I've also always thought he'd be off at some stage, he's won two major trophies in a short spell and will probably want to spend the rest of his 20's on a fresh challenge, he just strikes me as that kind of guy.

Xabi kicks arse in the prem but he'd be one of the top five players in La Liga with the time and space he'd be allowed on the ball, 25mil and no less IMO

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From BBC's gossip column:

Spanish giants Barcelona are preparing a £16m bid for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso in the summer. (Daily Star)

Fulham are considering signing Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia for next season. (Daily Express)

With just two years left on his contract cant any team just buy out the remainder of his contract? That will never amont to £16m. It`s the same thing that can make Lampard leave Chelsea for only £8m.

I think I read somewhere earlier in the winter that because of this new rule Liverpool were very eager to tie down Alonso and Garcia to new contacts, so we wont lose them on the cheap.

Xabi wants to concentrate on Liverpool, and therefor wont be signing anything until the summer. Well, if he really wants to stay, the best thing is to sign the contract, then the speculation will disappear. To me it looks like he might be off.

Guest dragonfly

i don't know if it's just the media stirring but i don't care i've said since the start of the season that we should sell him. the last time i said it he scored that day so he'll probably score tomorrow, but i still think we should sell. he's a great player but i genuinely think he wants to move on. let him, get a great price for him and move on. if he goes at the end of the season i wish him all the best.

Anyway we have to accept the fact that the foreign players have clubs in their home country they have dreamt all their life to play for and that they might not stay here forever.

Put yourself in the same position. You have a great career with Barcelona which you got signed from a small club, let's say Everton, but you have always wanted to play for Liverpool and when they want to sign you.

You would want that too wouldn't you?

It'll be a tragedy if he goes and we should move heaven and earth to keep him... BUT... it's not unreasonable to expect any player to want to return to their home country at some point, and I've wondered ever since Maschareno was brought in just how Rafa was going to keep four hugely talented players happy competing across 3 (or more likely 2) positions.

*sniff*

Hope this isnt true, I reckon Xabi's best years are still to come, would be gutting if they were with anyone else

top, top player

(Alternatively, him planting this little seed of doubt wont do his contract negotiations any harm... fingers crossed thats all it is)

I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that I would break down in tears and blub like a baby if Xabi were to leave.

I would probably then try to form some sort of human shield to prevent the plane leaving.

I am fairly keen on him remaining a Liverpool player, you see.

Me too. I'll see you at the airport, we can chain ourselves to the undercarriage.

I thought the prospect of buying out the remainder of your contract only applied if you were 28 or older. Not 100% sure though.

As for Xabi to Barcelona, I was saying a while ago that it looked to me that Xabi's departure could (sadly) be on the cards. Mascherano is looking more and more like an insurance policy. Barcelona are up to their eyeballs in attacking talent and could improve us in any number of ways, with the acquisition of Eto'o being the best option for us. If he came in a swap for Xabi and we were able to sign Alves too, we'd be looking a lot stronger for next season even with Xabi gone.

There's many twists and turns to go yet, but we have a lot of great (central) midfield talent, and it might just be we would be willing to let one go in order to land a top notch striker.

Maybe you are right... But is Lampard older than 28?, cos he falls under the new rule. But transfer rules are getting very complicated...

But If Xabi wants to leave, then we just have to cash in, cos there is no need to keep players that dont want to stay. And Xabi, while beeing a great player, is far from irreplacable. Gerrard and Sissoko would be harder to replace.

Can't see it myself. Barca have Xavi, Iniesta, Emerson and Thiago Motta filling the central midfield roles. That said, Barca are having trouble unlocking defences at the moment, so Alonso pinging pin-point balls to Messi, Bugs and Guily is a frightening prospect. Interesting...

In my humble opinion, alonso has been shite this season.

Hes gone missing in every big game weve had and his passing has largely gone to pot in those games (barca/man u, etc). Whether its nerves, or what, this season is the worst of his 3 at liverpool.

If any proposed deal from barcelona is right ie £20m + or a swap with eto(you never know!) then at present, I would take it.

I really thought xabi would be molbyesque with his passing after his 1st season, but hes just not playing at the same level this yr.

Guest Jay W

I'd be gutted if Alonso left, the signing of Alves for the right and the thought of Stevie and Mascherano in the middle would ease his departure a little though.

You know what, I think we'd be mad to turn down £16m.

This season he's been pretty average and last season was pretty similar. Throughout 04-05 I thought we had something really special but I haven't seen it since.

Plenty of players can pass the ball sideways and plenty more can try 40 yard passes and succeed in conceding possession.

I think a lot depends on what Benitez wants him to do. He's wasted in his current role. Played higher up the pitch and given a bit more freedom and I think he'd be a lot more effective (Actually, you could say the same for most of our players...), but £16m for a holding midfielder who isn't exaclty doing a great deal is a crazy price.

I like Alonso, but somewhere along the line people have started to believe the hype rather than the actual performances and what he gives to the team.

You know what, I think we'd be mad to turn down £16m.

This season he's been pretty average and last season was pretty similar. Throughout 04-05 I thought we had something really special but I haven't seen it since.

Plenty of players can pass the ball sideways and plenty more can try 40 yard passes and succeed in conceding possession.

I think a lot depends on what Benitez wants him to do. He's wasted in his current role. Played higher up the pitch and given a bit more freedom and I think he'd be a lot more effective (Actually, you could say the same for most of our players...), but £16m for a holding midfielder who isn't exaclty doing a great deal is a crazy price.

I like Alonso, but somewhere along the line people have started to believe the hype rather than the actual performances and what he gives to the team.

Alonso would look miles better if the wide players did something with the ball when he feeds them.

If they bid £20m plus then they can have him as far as I'm concerned.

I love Xabi, but I think with Momo, Gerrard and now Maskerwhatsisface, we can handle losing him for that sort of cash. Then go and buy a top, top striker like eto'o.