You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi: Barca close to my heart

Thants

From Sly:

Xabi Alonso admits admirers Barcelona are a club very close to his heart, but the Spaniard is adamant he is focused on Liverpool's current campaign.

Barcelona are reportedly in the running for Alonso, with claims they will test the Premiership side's resolve with a bid this summer.

Rafa Benitez has held contract talks with the influential star, although any decision on the player's future has been put on hold until the end of the season.

That scenario has only added heightened speculation but Alonso claims he is not unsettled and will only decide on his own future once The Reds' end-of-season fate is known.

"The rumours about my return to Spain are going on all the time. My situation is clear, if any club want me then it is obligatory for them to speak with Liverpool," Alonso is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

"Now in my head I only have a place for The Reds. We are at a key moment in the season and I do not want any distraction.

"Liverpool have presented me with a new deal but until the end of the season I do not have an answer for them.

"Barcelona is a city very important to me and the club is also important to my father [former Barca player Perico Alonso], but in the world of football you cannot always make a decision with your heart."

Yes its Sky, yes its the Daily Star. But i get paranoid ok?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that I would break down in tears and blub like a baby if Xabi were to leave.

I would probably then try to form some sort of human shield to prevent the plane leaving.

I am fairly keen on him remaining a Liverpool player, you see.

Barce don't need him and i'd be surprised if they splashed the cash for Alonso when they have Xavi, Iniesta etc

They appear to have gone a little bit stale this season and may decide to make a few changes to freshen things up.

In my opinion, it'd be a big mistake to sell Xabi and, from a personal point of view, I'd be gutted if he left. Having said that, every player has his price and if he really wanted to go we'd be fools to stop him.

Would be a big shame to see Alonso leave. Although he is having an off season compared to the high standards he has set himself in previous campaigns the saying of form is temporary, class is permanent applies to Xabi.

I do agree however that if he does show his desire to leave then i would rather let him go then have an unhappy player on the books.

If he was to leave it would be a kick in the bollocks for me as im looking forward to this summer to see the kind of calibre of player that Rafa is bringing in not licking our wounds cos one of our best players has left.

From BBC's gossip column:

Spanish giants Barcelona are preparing a £16m bid for Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso in the summer. (Daily Star)

Fulham are considering signing Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia for next season. (Daily Express)

Only £16m, that implies that both Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves are worth more than he is! £20m starting bid!