You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This kind of survey, which pop up from time to time, always make me laugh. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-charles-heir-throne-abdicated-william-queen-dies-death-next-in-line-public-opinion-a8704316.html

Who gives a fuck what the proles think? It's a monarchy: plebs don't count. 

It reminds of me of a Sky News programme I watched many moons ago where Jeffrey Archer was on expressing his disgust at the 'absurdity' of male-preference primogeniture over the obviously correct process where the eldest child of the deceased sovereign, whether they be male or female, would take the throne. Yes Jeffrey, that's the only absurd thing about the British monarchy. Everything else is hunky dory. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just pull the fucking plug on the cunts.

Supreme Court ruling leaves Queen in middle of political storm

As the Supreme Court ruling hacked a new path through Britain's system of government, brushing ancient royal powers to one side, from Buckingham Palace came - nothing.

This is precisely where the Queen does not want to be - right in the middle of a political and constitutional hurricane, with the Supreme Court redefining the relationship between judiciary, legislature, government and monarch.

When the Scottish Court of Session ruled that the prorogation was illegal - one of the cases that went to the Supreme Court last week - a Palace source said simply: "The Queen acts and acted on the advice of her ministers".

And that line held right up until today. The Queen has very little, if any, discretion over the prorogation of Parliament.

There's an argument that says the Queen might have turned down Prime Minister Boris Johnson's request, given that his legitimacy is arguably thinner than previous prime ministers.

That would have been running zig-zag through a constitutional minefield.

But what happened today was painful for the Palace.

It wasn't just Mr Johnson's request for a prorogation that was found by the Supreme Court to be unlawful, void and of no effect.

It was also the Order in Council, the legal mechanism that the Queen personally approves, that was found to be unlawful, void and of no effect. And, said the Supreme Court, it should be quashed.

More importantly, the Queen has been dragged by the PM's unlawful prorogation into the place where for decades politicians have agreed she should never be - right into a domestic political argument.

Former Conservative prime minister Sir John Major commented after the judgement that "no prime minister must ever treat the monarch or Parliament in this way again".

He chose his words - and the order of his words - carefully, and conservatively. First monarch, then Parliament. He understands the damage this has done to the position of the Queen.

The man who pretty much defined the modern role of the Queen, the Victorian Walter Bagehot, wrote of the monarchy: "Its mystery is its life. We must not let in daylight upon magic."

The role has always worked in the shadows, the grey areas of the constitution, with an agreement going back decades amongst politicians that unwritten rules and conventions would be respected, and that nothing would be done to put the Queen into an embarrassing position, a position where she could be accused of having a political role.

Boris Johnson has blown that apart.

With the Supreme Court judgement a bright and critical light now illuminates the monarchy.

And the cry has gone up - even from the present system's doughtiest defenders - for a written constitution, one where the powers of the different parts of the state and the different nations of the kingdom, are clearly explained and defined.

At which point, of course, some will ask - just what is the role in government, in the 21st Century, of a hereditary monarch?

Elizabeth came to the throne as the age of deference slipped away.

She has been a conservative monarch, content to play little more than a symbolic and ceremonial role. She understands that her position is dependent on her staying deep in the shadows of government.

But now daylight has flooded in. No wonder the Palace has decided to stay silent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49811931

The whole royal assent thing should be scrapped but as for a full blown drafting of a written constitution then its a massive undertaking that will take years for Parliament to agree . The judicial review ruling today by the supreme court does at least show the constitution we have is working and a new page was written to account for changing times.  I would hate to be saddled with American system where rights granted to citizens hundreds of years ago when they had farmers running around with muskets and a citizens army allows millions of loons access to all sorts of deadly weapons today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Oh look, the Royals have announced a wedding for next year. 

It that bint spawned by Andy and Fergie . I saw the headline.

Let me guess . She's marrying some city rich kid , entrepreneur or property magnate. Properly caked and willing to slip a few quid in the direction of his broke, parasitic mother-in-law. 

I wish them every happiness .

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, magicrat said:

It that bint spawned by Andy and Fergie . I saw the headline.

Let me guess . She's marrying some city rich kid , entrepreneur or property magnate. Properly caked and willing to slip a few quid in the direction of his broke, parasitic mother-in-law. 

I wish them every happiness .

She's marrying a dirty foreigner. 

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Fuck he must be absolutely fucking loaded in that case, The Greek must be spinning in his sick bed . First Markle and now this. " We will soon be the Brown Windsors Liz "

He's a mega rich Italian, Phil the Greek will be over the moon. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Fergie will be for sure

Delighted to have yet another great son in law....fuck all to do with money and opportunities. Plus I'm shocked that when faced with a scandal (Jefferey Epstein) that one of their sprogs who no fucker gives a toss about apart from the 'Royal cup collecting Blue Rinse Brigade' announces her wedding to some multi millionaire.  

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Delighted to have yet another great son in law....fuck all to do with money and opportunities. Plus I'm shocked that when faced with a scandal (Jefferey Epstein) that one of their sprogs who no fucker gives a toss about apart from the 'Royal cup collecting Blue Rinse Brigade' announces her wedding to some multi millionaire.  

Haha . It will give the old farts who read the Express something to take their mind off food shortages as they queue up for their prescriptions . 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, magicrat said:

Haha . It will give the old farts who read the Express something to take their mind off food shortages as they queue up for their prescriptions . 

No doubt the BBC will be planning some kind of extravaganza on the whole shit show as well. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

And we will still probably be paying for the fucking shit show 

Probably come out of that 'Annual Sovereign Grant' so the cheeky bastards will say they pay for it themselves. We all know the Tax payer picks up the security costs. 

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:54, Stickman said:

Past caring about how much we have to pay to do up the royals houses,

It gets a bit of bad publicity for a day or two and then they'll fly Arry off to some deprived area in the middle of fuck knows where they'll stick a poor blind kid with him and maybe a game of football or a dance with the locals and Nicholas Witchell will go "ahh isn't he lovely"

Hey presto normal service is resumed

Image result for prince harry playing football with poor kids

Don't like to say I told you so....Luckily for the Royals there's loads of poor deprived areas to visit when some shit hits the fan

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Don't like to say I told you so....Luckily for the Royals there's loads of poor deprived areas to visit when some shit hits the fan

Don't you just love it when someone who is flown or driven all over the place bangs on about climate change. He could have said all the things he did from home, rather than been flown half way across the World for a photo shoot with locals and to plant a tree before fucking off to a slap up meal whilst the natives toiled in the Sun to plant the rest.