You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

I've just seen the North West news with Meghan Markle and her husband on a walkabout in Blackpool. Some old bat was really thrilled saying "they are just like normal people".

Yes. Yes they are. Their shit stinks and they can't lick their elbows. Now stop tugging the forelock and stop buying them fucking palaces.

• 1 month later...

At least The Guardian has had the good sense to keep the more important topic of climate change as its main subject. Huffington Post went full cap doffing and relegated it’s climate emergency story in favour of the sprog.

On 07/05/2019 at 19:27, Moctezuma said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only republican I know, then I pop into the GF for some bubble reassurance and feel ok, thanks everyone.

From watching the news coverage you would think the entire world loves the British Royal family. 

They spent some of yesterday reporting on how other countries reported on news of the Royal Baby, not surprisingly it was 100% positive.

36 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I'm as against royalty as anyone else on here but I think calling an innocent baby a parasite is a bit much. 

All babies are parasitic on their mum. This one will stay a parasite on the state.

I'm proud to have been a 5 year old republican atheist who still believed in Santa.

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I'm as against royalty as anyone else on here but I think calling an innocent baby a parasite is a bit much. 

Amen to that. People need to separate their hatred of the system from hatred of innocent people.

• Upvote 1

As a Canadian (and therefore someone who doesn't have to pay for them) who's read history all his life, I actually like our Royals. There's something to be said about institutional continuity and respect for, and valuing of, one's history. 

But this pretence that they're somehow "better" than anyone else is hilarious. And maybe just a tad offensive to the past 200 hundred years. After all that's part of our history, as well.