You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

I watched 5 minutes of it on Youtube as I thought the fact it was live on Youtube was interesting.  I watched to see if there was a fawning commentary a la BBC etc.

Anyway, the 5 minutes I saw encompassed David and Victoria Beckham walking along then going into the church.

It was horrendous.  Everything they did was choreographed "togetherness" for the media and public, then as soon as they entered the church and thought there were no cameras they dropped it and the mutual loathing came to the fore.

What a sham.

That and the fixed, painful smile of George Clooney's wife made me pity these people.  Yes, they're loaded and lauded, but bloody hell they're fake.

I hold no feelings for Clooney, but the fact that the Beckhams are all about the brand over their personal peace made me a little bit glad.

This is like watching the World Cup for a certain class of people. Will never understand it myself.

For some reason it seems to bring out the peasant in people. Its like the industrial revolution never happened.

Nobody gives a fuck about the royal family on a day to day basis, but as soon as a wedding, birth or death happens the country descends in a frenzy of forelock tugging. Its as if people need to have someone that they feel is superior to them purely by dint of birth. It must be hardwired.

Saw bits of it on tv in the pub. London looked amazing with the blue skies the cleaned streets and immaculate lawns. Obviously it was just the route but it still looked incredible especially Windsor castle.

Good luck too him. I remember having to watch him walk behind his mother's funeral car as a kid so even though I think royalty is ridiculous it was nice to see two happy people making each other happier.

• Upvote 1

Guardian going on about how it was great for diversity and now it was time to end racial discrimination.

They just don't get, or care, what lack of diversity really means.

What, Amal Clooney? Oprah Winfrey?

Colour, sex etc is pretty damn equal when you're a millionaire/billionaire.

The BBC is full of all the above but they're still all middle class and view people on council estates as somewhere between a medical curiosity and a ferret.

• Upvote 3

Guardian going on about how it was great for diversity and now it was time to end racial discrimination.

They just don't get, or care, what lack of diversity really means.

What, Amal Clooney? Oprah Winfrey?

Colour, sex etc is pretty damn equal when you're a millionaire/billionaire.

The BBC is full of all the above but they're still all middle class and view people on council estates as somewhere between a medical curiosity and a ferret.

There was a bit on the BBC yesterday and they had a woman who’s Mum married a white fella in the 70’s. The NF marched past the church and they had police protection at the reception. She was over the moon that a black woman was now part of the ‘establishment ‘. She thought it was brilliant. You know best though.

• Upvote 1

There’s no need for a President, just as there’s no need for a Royal Family.

A tamper-free voting system should choose a government, which then proceeds to run the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A tamper-free voting system should choose a government, which then proceeds to run the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The royal family don’t run the country

I'd argue there's a need for a directly-elected Executive, separate from a directly-elected Legislature. We need not only to abolish the monarchy (and the aristocracy), but also to dramatically reform Parliament.

There was a bit on the BBC yesterday and they had a woman who’s Mum married a white fella in the 70’s. The NF marched past the church and they had police protection at the reception. She was over the moon that a black woman was now part of the ‘establishment ‘. She thought it was brilliant. You know best though.

Ah another contrary opinion? You're just a parody of yourself.

Similarly, a lot of black Americans thought they'd never see a black President. And now they have.

Hasn't really dented the systemic racism of the entire nation.

It's like seeing Sajid Javid as Home Secretary; it's symbolically nice, but doesn't mean that his party isn’t institutionally racist.

• Upvote 1

Similarly, a lot of black Americans thought they'd never see a black President. And now they have.

It's like seeing Sajid Javid as Home Secretary; it's symbolically nice, but doesn't mean that his party isn’t institutionally racist.

It's not like she's just any mixed race girl either, half her mates there were probably richer than the queen.

It's like when Sandhurst says it's got its fair share of black officer trainees yet they're all the son of some Nigerian Prince.

If people are inspired by it good for them, but let's not pretend this will have any impact on real inequality.

• Upvote 1

It's not like she's just any mixed race girl either, half her mates there were probably richer than the queen.

It's like when Sandhurst says it's got its fair share of black officer trainees yet they're all the son of some Nigerian Prince.

If people are inspired by it good for them, but let's not pretend this will have any impact on real inequality.

I really don’t get the point. She’s a successful woman in her own right, she invited her colleagues, who else would she invite?

Hang on, are you saying that having a black president had no impact, or not a massive impact? I agree America has an issue with racism, Trump is the proof positive, but to say Obama had no impact seems crazy. The mad racists are unlikely to change, but those in the middle must have been influenced.

Hang on, are you saying that having a black president had no impact, or not a massive impact? I agree America has an issue with racism, Trump is the proof positive, but to say Obama had no impact seems crazy. The mad racists are unlikely to change, but those in the middle must have been influenced.

Many of those in the middle complacently took their eye off the threat of a growing racist backlash. The line about "America can't be racist, we've got a black President" was trotted out repeatedly, while a sense of resentful and angry "white victimhood" was allowed to grow, to the extent that overt racism could win a Presidential election.