You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

I dislike the lot of them right from the very top all the way down to third cousins and beyond. Line them up one by one for crimes against the British public either that or ship them off to Canada or Australia. People come to look at the houses not them so bin bag them and you still get the tourism.

Its the 21st century for fucks sake, we dont need princes and princesses. How can people say there is no Class struggle anymore when you have people like that swanning around.

Had a good arguement with the missus over it the other day, that channel 4 programme was being discussed on the news, the meddling prince and she started defending him. Couldnt believe it but then she is a royalist.

Favour a German style President - elected but performing the same sort of role as the monarch does in a consititutional monarchy. Would hate a full US style presidency as much a monarchy.

I think the Queen is an absolute gem though. And I am a big Charlie fan. But hereditary privilege has no place in modern Britain.

So who would be a candidate for a figurehead President ? Ken Livingstone ? Ken Clarke ? Lord Kinnock ? Paddy Ashdown maybe ?

Maybe tv could do "President Idol" and you could vote for your favourite by txting "pres paddy" to 8181881 and the candidates would alternate between talking about their policies, singing, dancing on ice, cooking etc etc. Sure to get more of the public interested than old style politics.

Never used to be arsed either way, but as I've aged I've come to think that they uphold the arbitrary class system that I so despise in this country, with many of their lackeys holding key positions in the legal profession, civil service and the House of Lords.

I read something a while ago that said something like 25% of the land in this country is owned by 1% of the people, Charles himself owns half of Cornwall. Thats fucked up IMO, especially when he hasn't earned any of it but makes shit loads of cash from the poor sods who have to make his Dutchy of Cornwall sausages.

Harry has got the right idea wanting to go and fight in Iraq, and I always admired Andrew for his actions in the Falklands (although IMO neither Harry or William would have been accepted to Officer training if there weren't who they were - I was once advised by a Naval career officer that my scouse accent would make it difficult for me to enter Britannia naval college, no matter what my Academic record)

Charles should be sent to Iraq dressed as a black knight (the original Prince of Wales) to earn his cheese and sausages.

• 6 years later...

Prince Charles and his 36 private meetings with cabinet ministers | UK news | The Guardian

At least MPs pretend to be democratic. Isn't it time we bumped the spongers and tax-dodgers of the House of Saxe-Coburg - and their countless, pointless hangers-on - into the real world and got ourselves an elected Head of State?

Favour a German style President - elected but performing the same sort of role as the monarch does in a consititutional monarchy. Would hate a full US style presidency as much a monarchy.

I think the Queen is an absolute gem though. And I am a big Charlie fan. But hereditary privilege has no place in modern Britain.

So who would be a candidate for a figurehead President ? Ken Livingstone ? Ken Clarke ? Lord Kinnock ? Paddy Ashdown maybe ?

Maybe tv could do "President Idol" and you could vote for your favourite by txting "pres paddy" to 8181881 and the candidates would alternate between talking about their policies, singing, dancing on ice, cooking etc etc. Sure to get more of the public interested than old style politics.

Where did MH go? Did he get force fed a scouse pie and morph into Coro?

Completely pointless.

The tourism argument is a total pile of shit as well. Nobody comes to here to "see the Royal Family". They come to see the palaces and learn about the history. No fucker actually meets the cunts, do they? At the end of the day, the buildings and the legacy would all still be there if the entire Royal Family was killed in an awful family-portrait themed accident, like in the early 90s classic King Ralph.

• Upvote 1

Completely pointless.

The tourism argument is a total pile of shit as well. Nobody comes to here to "see the Royal Family". They come to see the palaces and learn about the history. No fucker actually meets the cunts' date=' do they? At the end of the day, the buildings and the legacy would all still be there if the entire Royal Family was killed in an awful family-portrait themed accident, like in the early 90s classic King Ralph.[/quote']

Load of shite argument, isn't it? I've been to Versailles - which hasn't had a royal family in for quite a while - and it was fucking heaving.

I'm definitely not a royalist but their PR do a good job. I had to do a photoshoot with Charles and Camilla not so long back and I was almost impressed. Camilla smiled at me (I reckon she wanted my body) but Charlie is a cock-head. On the day he walked over to a mate of mine, stuck his hand out and said "Are you the chap I'm supposed to meet next?"

They both came over as nice people however but at the "pep-talk" given by the security guys before Chas n Camilla arrived we were told "On no account speak to them unless they speak to you!" I mean, who the feck do they think they are?

Oh and I refused to call him "Sir" as well.

Not a big fan but they are actually pretty cheap compared to a president

Also, don't forget that the stuff they have, including the Crown Estate from which we take a shit-load of cash but don't actually own due to a strange law from years ago, technically belongs to them. So if you get rid, you either lose that stuff and the income or legitimise a govt that can confiscate property for no real reason which tends to be a dangerous precedent

Plus, have a quick look at Hungary for the reality of a figure-head President. A government who are completely taking the piss and moving towards to Putin-style govt with no opposition or legitimate check on them - it may not seem realistic to you but the a crown does make a degree of difference

I used to hate them when I was an edgy class-war teen but now I find it very hard to care either way. I've not seen much about the cost of keeping them like the weird pets they are vs how much tourism they bring in.

Tourists seem to love them, which is fair enough but I'd prefer if they lived on County Road so we could enjoy the benefits.

Essentially, if they died tomorrow I'd probably still have a bacon butty and a nice morning, apathy here - but if they decided to get a bit shirty and try to disband the government (yeah, like it would be much different, amirite???!!! *awaits high-5*), getting all those guys with the big fuzzy hats to start taking over our homes and making us worship Big Ben, I'm gonna have to say 'no'. Not cool with that at all.

Not a big fan but they are actually pretty cheap compared to a president

Also, don't forget that the stuff they have, including the Crown Estate from which we take a shit-load of cash but don't actually own due to a strange law from years ago, technically belongs to them. So if you get rid, you either lose that stuff and the income or legitimise a govt that can confiscate property for no real reason which tends to be a dangerous precedent

Plus, have a quick look at Hungary for the reality of a figure-head President. A government who are completely taking the piss and moving towards to Putin-style govt with no opposition or legitimate check on them - it may not seem realistic to you but the a crown does make a degree of difference

The fuck?

The fuck?

Seriously, check it out

How much the political system would have to change

How unstable it would become in the short-term

How much it would it cost us to have a president

How completely fucking useless most presidents are

I am not a royalist in any way shape or form, but they genuinely are a cheap, effective and harmless solution

Edit: yeah I know, I really don't want to say this, but unfortunately it's true

Seriously, check it out

How much the political system would have to change

How unstable it would become in the short-term

How much it would it cost us to have a president

How completely fucking useless most presidents are

I am not a royalist in any way shape or form, but they genuinely are a cheap, effective and harmless solution

Edit: yeah I know, I really don't want to say this, but unfortunately it's true

Nah that is bollocks. Have an elected figurehead to do the queens constitutional role and live in a normal house. Open up buck palace, windsor, balmoral etc to tourists. Take back most of cornwall, gloucestershire and wales. Quids fucking in. Not to mention actually having a grown up country.

Nah that is bollocks. Have an elected figurehead to do the queens constitutional role and live in a normal house. Open up buck palace, windsor, balmoral etc to tourists. Take back most of cornwall, gloucestershire and wales. Quids fucking in. Not to mention actually having a grown up country.

Is correct.

I can't believe the number of supposedly educated people in this country who fall for the constant drip drip of publicity for those parasites from the right wing media.Mind you,if they didn't big them up every day,people might just stop to think" why do we need them".

The Duke Of Edinburgh was back at work yesterday. 'Work'! The BBC used that word to describe what this repellant old fascist does to justify his public funding. This country is retarded beyond redemption and it is only fitting that its head of state is a sour faced, uneducated, uncultured old tart who likes horses more than people.

The dreadful thick twat's only outward display of humanity was when the Britannia got decommissioned. She shed tears because one of her perks was removed. A truly dreadful matriarch of a truly dreadful family. I despise them.