You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Architecture

Karl_b

14 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-boutique-hotel-adventure-golf-16639401#ICID=ios_EchoNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

New boutique hotel and adventure golf course could transform Allerton Manor

Those behind it hope to turn Allerton Manor into the 'region's premier public golf destination'

3C0524AB-A178-4351-A5AA-C090C0E7FB5F.jpeg

What the fuck is wrong with people? When the architect pitched "Let's stick a load of cartons on the roof" did nobody tell him to fuck off?

On 26/07/2011 at 21:26, AngryofTuebrook said:

I wasn't sure at first, but I'm a convert. It actually sits remarkably well with its context - the polished black granite of the new apartment blocks, the views across to the curvy One Park West and the monumental red brick of the Albert Dock. It's superb. The cladding is fantastic: even up close it still seems to be an artist's impression. Bizarre and brilliant.

The Museum of Liverpool needs a fucking good scrub. 

17 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-boutique-hotel-adventure-golf-16639401#ICID=ios_EchoNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Those behind it hope to turn Allerton Manor into the 'region's premier public golf destination'

What the fuck is 'Adventure Golf?' Closest I've got to an adventure when playing golf was chasing grazing sheep off the greens. They were actually safer there!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
22 hours ago, neko said:

Karl,

Everyone's favorite architects (Olson Kundig) seem to be following my cottage design ideas.

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/06/18/olson-kundig-hale-lana-house-rises-above-lava-field-in-hawaii/

hale-lana-olson-kundig-big-island-hawaii

That's amazing but it would concern me being built on top of a lava field in a place with very active volcanoes 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing there must be a form of snobbery amongst architects, theres the ones that do simple extensions, the ones that design different types of houses and others that do larger buildings. 

We are trying to sort out an extension to an existing building, basically a utility and kitchen linking through to an oak framed glass sided dining/living room. Quite a simple design that we drew out ready for an architect. Unfortunately the one we have got seems to see himself as some sort of design guru and is forever trying to change our minds about this and that and seems pissed off when we say no. After loads of backwards and forwards and drawings we have ended up with our original design with only the addition of a small window in the utility room.

Thing is we've been charged for all this extra shit when all we want was him to draw up our plans for planning purposes. Given our time again we would have just told the architect to draw up what we want, shut up and get on with it.

once had a Grade II townhouse (which was cheap in the 90's- just as Blair got elected) so i had to use a local council's own 'approved' architect to get the plans through for some uncomplicated structural work. when submitted, the council rejected them.

not wanting to be in a caught in Kafka style loop, i refused to pay for them initially, told them to get it right amongst yourselves as you 'recommended' them to me and bill me when they were. it got solved and went through at the cost it should have been first time of asking.

you can guess who what sort of politics is omnipresent. 

3 hours ago, A Red said:

I'm guessing there must be a form of snobbery amongst architects, theres the ones that do simple extensions, the ones that design different types of houses and others that do larger buildings. 

We are trying to sort out an extension to an existing building, basically a utility and kitchen linking through to an oak framed glass sided dining/living room. Quite a simple design that we drew out ready for an architect. Unfortunately the one we have got seems to see himself as some sort of design guru and is forever trying to change our minds about this and that and seems pissed off when we say no. After loads of backwards and forwards and drawings we have ended up with our original design with only the addition of a small window in the utility room.

Thing is we've been charged for all this extra shit when all we want was him to draw up our plans for planning purposes. Given our time again we would have just told the architect to draw up what we want, shut up and get on with it.

When you visit a doctor or lawyer, do you tell them how to do their job ? It's a bit of an exaggeration, but architects are trained professionals and should always be pushing to refine and improve design solutions. He's likely trying to help you challenge your ideas and look at better options.

What you're asking him to be is a draftsman, which is a wee bit insulting. The number of times I used to hear people say "I've got the design done, I just need someone to draw it up" is why I quit doing that work.

Not exactly sure how it works in the UK, but if you don't need an architect to submit small renovation drawings, then don't hire one and ignore their professional advice.

Could be wrong though. Some architects can be twats. 

On 25/07/2019 at 16:51, Sugar Ape said:

Is that photoshopped? It looks like painted builders containers plonked on top of a roof. 

I might have a would with my old mate prince Charles, see what he thinks.

45 minutes ago, neko said:

When you visit a doctor or lawyer, do you tell them how to do their job ? It's a bit of an exaggeration, but architects are trained professionals and should always be pushing to refine and improve design solutions. He's likely trying to help you challenge your ideas and look at better options.

What you're asking him to be is a draftsman, which is a wee bit insulting. The number of times I used to hear people say "I've got the design done, I just need someone to draw it up" is why I quit doing that work.

Not exactly sure how it works in the UK, but if you don't need an architect to submit small renovation drawings, then don't hire one and ignore their professional advice.

Could be wrong though. Some architects can be twats. 

I hear what you're saying but what we wanted was really simple. He then made drawings that ignored what we had asked for, that he then had to amend. Despite an hour long initial meeting his means of giving advice was to put it in the drawing rather than talk to us first. Seems to me a ploy to make more revenue.