You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Architecture

Karl_b

Funnily enough I've got an architect popping round tonight - I'm trying to get another few bedrooms and bathrooms added to my place. The previous owners tried to get permission for a number of designs, all of which failed - they ended up putting in a minimal proposal for two small bedrooms and a bathroom just so that they could sell the house with permission for further building. I thought that the planning regs had been relaxed in October last year, but the architect tells me it's not going to help in my case. I'm going to go for broke (probably the operative word) and put a full fat proposal in, then use my charm and influence (as seen on TLW) to seduce the planning authority into accepting. I remain optimistic.

karl.

please enlighten me on this serpentine pavilion tradition - it appears to be an annual event, but for what purpose ?

i found this link from yours...

Serpentine Pavillions past and present | Art and design | guardian.co.uk

It's just a celebration of architecture more than anything. The Serpentine is a small gallery in Hyde Park which exhibits modern art. Every year they ask an architect who has never built in the UK to design a pavilion. It's quite unique and wonderful, I love going down to see them; although disappointingly I missed Gehry's last year.

2007's was magnificent as was 2003's by Niemeyer but my favourite that I've visited is definitely 2006's by Koolhaas.

Funnily enough I've got an architect popping round tonight - I'm trying to get another few bedrooms and bathrooms added to my place. The previous owners tried to get permission for a number of designs, all of which failed - they ended up putting in a minimal proposal for two small bedrooms and a bathroom just so that they could sell the house with permission for further building. I thought that the planning regs had been relaxed in October last year, but the architect tells me it's not going to help in my case. I'm going to go for broke (probably the operative word) and put a full fat proposal in, then use my charm and influence (as seen on TLW) to seduce the planning authority into accepting. I remain optimistic.

Feel free to PM your friendly neighbourhood planning officer if you need any help tho'. I've been a Development Control Officer for over 8 years so feel free to ask Stringy.

I'll quite happliy give you some advice on what is permitted development or not, what type of application to go for as a result or an opinion on whether I think the proposal will get Planning Permission.

Feel free to PM your friendly neighbourhood planning officer if you need any help tho'. I've been a Development Control Officer for over 8 years so feel free to ask Stringy.

I'll quite happliy give you some advice on what is permitted development or not, what type of application to go for as a result or an opinion on whether I think the proposal will get Planning Permission.

That's really kind, thanks RJ. I'll see if I can scan in the plans to show you - I'll PM you later.

• 1 month later...
Cheers mate. Had to pinch myself when it happened.

My favourtite book on architecture is 'A Pattern Language' By Christopher Alexander. It's part of a set that studies how disparate, unconnected civilizations throughout history arrived at similar architectural conclusions. It looks beyond mere styles to uncover an universal language of humanist architecture that is consistent throughout the world. It's a beautiful set of books that really gets to the 'truth' of design and it's potential to truly liberate people and society as a whole - A message too often lost in a society which values style over substance.

Cochyn, I really can't thank you enough for recommending Alexander. Whilst developing my thesis project I remembered this and sought out the books, I'm very glad I did.

Anyway, not the reason for the bump. This is - Turtagro Hotel / JVA | Arch Daily.

I think this is wonderful.

Cochyn, I really can't thank you enough for recommending Alexander. Whilst developing my thesis project I remembered this and sought out the books, I'm very glad I did.

Anyway, not the reason for the bump. This is - Turtagro Hotel / JVA | Arch Daily.

I think this is wonderful.

karl.

saw that this morning, but it didn't elicit anything more than a quick glance.

it's competently done - responsive to the site/good use of materials and such...curious what is it that inspires you about it ?

i can't type much right now - i'm in the middle of a rendering and i can see each character as i type with a 5second delay.

More than anything, it's simply this interior view:

1190157057_turtagro2523.jpg

It's simple and elegant and I love the form of the column/beam junction and how that's repeated inside and outside.

I also think the form is very interesting, I also enjoy the contract between the red exterior cladding and the snow.

That interior view and it's context just give the impression of a unique experience. It just seems a building I'd enjoy being in.

sorry - too much pine, fluorescent lighting, tile floors and big communal tables for me to call it an enjoyable/unique experience.

i know some of the roof pitches are necessary for snow loads, but i hate all the angles - i'm a miesian modernist myself.

sorry - too much pine, fluorescent lighting, tile floors and big communal tables for me to call it an enjoyable/unique experience.

i know some of the roof pitches are necessary for snow loads, but i hate all the angles - i'm a miesian modernist myself.

It's the place that gives it that more than anything but the building seems to respond to it well.

karl - here's a recent house that i quite fancy...

Dezeen » Blog Archive » Santa Ynez Residence by Frederick Fisher and Partners

critique away !

i've actually been spending the last few weeks designing a simple modern cabin for an island we were trying to buy. unfortunately we didn't get the island, but i enjoyed the process anyways. maybe i'll post some sketches/images next week.