Karl_b

Architecture

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Where is it you're building your new house Bruce, Sudan? And you're moving there from London? Is it for work or do you just fancy a change? Mad place to move too that 

My wife is Sudanese, so it makes much more sense in that context.

Two reasons, we want the kids to get an understanding of their heritage and are lucky enough to be able to make that work for us all and secondly, Sudan went through revolution towards democratic change a couple of years back and it seems to be holding, so a lot of the diaspora who left are heading back to try and be part of the change and throwing themesleves in to it trying to help it be a success, a reverse brain drain of sorts. All very exciting.

I'll be in Sudan about two thirds of the year and then back in London the rest of the time.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Two reasons, we want the kids to get an understanding of their heritage and are lucky enough to be able to make that work for us all and secondly, Sudan went through revolution towards democratic change a couple of years back and it seems to be holding, so a lot of the diaspora who left are heading back to try and be part of the change and throwing themesleves in to it trying to help it be a success, a reverse brain drain of sorts. All very exciting.

I'll be in Sudan about two thirds of the year and then back in London the rest of the time.

Superb mate. 

8 minutes ago, neko said:

Stylistically, more like this Senor Spanner...

Qh3YX9S.jpg

Once we get some update pics I'll post them up and show you what they're doing, you can't really tell from the mock ups, but it's lovely

I was reminiscing recently about when I first saw this - which convinced me that there was money to be made out of promoting ridiculous schemes that you never intended to actually build.

JS116845232.jpg

Twenty years later, the plot they got permission to build on is still a vacant eyesore in a prominent part of the city centre (although someone apparently has plans for it now... so, fingers crossed!)

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/empty-liverpool-land-pocket-park-12893517

On 05/04/2021 at 15:00, Bruce Spanner said:

Didn't realise you were in London Brucey. Where?

6 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Didn't realise you were in London Brucey. Where?

Been living in Madia Vale for the best part of a decade.

In Khartoum currently though, come home a couple of times a year for a few weeks and then spend the summer in London.

You’re going to tell me you are local and the best friendship that never was is that little bit further away, aren’t you?

23 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

In Khartoum currently though, come home a couple of times a year for a few weeks and then spend the summer in London.

You’re going to tell me you are local and the best friendship that never was is that little bit further away, aren’t you?

Ever drink in the Warwick Castle? Had a couple of goods nights there in the past. Little Venice area, I think.

14 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Ever drink in the Warwick Castle? Had a couple of goods nights there in the past. Little Venice area, I think.

I know it well.

I’m technically Notting Hill so am closer to the Goldbourn Road pubs than the Warwick, Idlewild/Truscott/Hero, so tend to head that way more often than not if I’m drinking locally.

I was going to mention Kateh in Rem’s thread about obscure food, great Iranian place.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Ahhhh Maida Vale. When I used to commute from Finchley Road to Notting Hill, the bus route was probably past yours. 

We have a place opposite the Barbican. We'll have to grab a mini tlw latte sometime. It's on me for getting me that euro win in the Draft Forum. 

1 minute ago, rb14 said:

Ahhhh Maida Vale. When I used to commute from Finchley Road to Notting Hill, the bus route was probably past yours. 

We have a place opposite the Barbican. We'll have to grab a mini tlw latte sometime. It's on me for getting me that euro win in the Draft Forum. 

It'll be Kir Royals and it'll be a dozen, or so, at the French.

I'll let you know when I'm back in them parts.

• Upvote 1