You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Architecture

Karl_b

Browsing the local house listings, as you do, and this is from a new development in Speke... what's the deal with the tiny fucking windows?

Last time I saw windows that small was on a medieval castle, to aid fortification against invaders.

76164_4_168_IMG_01_0000.jpg

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Browsing the local house listings, as you do, and this is from a new development in Speke... what's the deal with the tiny fucking windows?

Last time I saw windows that small was on a medieval castle, to aid fortification against invaders.

It's in Speke. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Looks lovely, but its only a matter of time before everyone has drop down kerbs and puts a hardstanding in for their cars. Flooding ensues. 

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Spec house developer logic for meeting energy efficiency standards: Glass lets out more heat than walls. so it's cheaper to fit small windows and install the minimum required wall insulation. They could put in bigger windows and bump up the wall insulation to compensate. But: ££. And they know the buy-to-let landlords who buy these Noddy-boxes won't give a shit that it'll be dark as hell in there and you'll need to keep the lights on in the day. These aren't homes anymore, they're 'investments'.

And what the fuck is going on with that 'canopy' over the front door? Its a fucking abortion.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Yeah we used to call it bleak Speke. I went there on a site visit once. I was dressed in a suit and in a newish car and a gang of kids aged about 10 gathered and threw stones at the car windows as I drove away. It was about 11 am on a Tuesday during term time. 

It was Turdseye and his mates. “There’s that Tory cunt who murders old women” 

10 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

So, we’re about 60/70% built at the moment, but we’ve been told that it’s going to be about two months behind schedule due to the fucking plague, which is a kick in the dick.

But, here’s the generated pics. The river Nile just out of shot..

EF38ED4E-B0E7-4ECC-A314-72E996ACCC47.jpeg

D8F90E46-8B22-402B-AB4A-0EAC999F1DC8.jpeg

DA9F500B-8107-4B5E-B80E-AC9E67373C6F.jpeg

5D356994-C08F-429B-AF71-D0DD4EEE1D6F.jpeg

Is that your house?

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Holy good fuck. What do you do for a living, out of curiosity?

Looks amazing, well done! I'm not absolutely seething with jealousy. Nope. Definitely not.

I do stuff for people what need stuff doing, it’s an honest living.

Like Neko above costs are massively reduced as land is cheap, labour here is tiny as well, so doing this in the UK, or Europe, would be out of the question, but it makes sense for us to do it properly as we plan to be there for years.

Not that we’re thinking this way but ROI is pretty much guaranteed so there’s not such a risk to it.

10 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

So, we’re about 60/70% built at the moment, but we’ve been told that it’s going to be about two months behind schedule due to the fucking plague, which is a kick in the dick.

But, here’s the generated pics. The river Nile just out of shot..

EF38ED4E-B0E7-4ECC-A314-72E996ACCC47.jpeg

D8F90E46-8B22-402B-AB4A-0EAC999F1DC8.jpeg

DA9F500B-8107-4B5E-B80E-AC9E67373C6F.jpeg

5D356994-C08F-429B-AF71-D0DD4EEE1D6F.jpeg

The river Nile? Are you Mo Salah?

36 minutes ago, neko said:

Bruce - is wood a common building material there ? Looks like it is concrete and metal (mostly)

Nice space - just wonder if the interior ceiling could have been wood, to warm it up a bit ?

We'll not need to worry about keeping warm, it can hit the high 40's in summer and doesn't really drop below 20/25 most of the year.

Wooden framed.

I'd not thought about common materials, but now you mention it you don't see a lot of wood used.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, neko said:

understood - I was thinking 'warmth' in terms of aesthetics.

my preconception of Sudan was something like this, so assumed wood might be scarce and expensive.

170504163821-23-sudan-pyramids-super-169

Ah, Meroe!

There's a camp about quarter mile from there where you can sleep under the stars, run by Italians oddly.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Ah, Meroe!

There's a camp about quarter mile from there where you can sleep under the stars, run by Italians oddly.

Where is it you're building your new house Bruce, Sudan? And you're moving there from London? Is it for work or do you just fancy a change? Mad place to move too that