You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Architecture

Karl_b

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Where is it you're building your new house Bruce, Sudan? And you're moving there from London? Is it for work or do you just fancy a change? Mad place to move too that 

My wife is Sudanese, so it makes much more sense in that context.

Two reasons, we want the kids to get an understanding of their heritage and are lucky enough to be able to make that work for us all and secondly, Sudan went through revolution towards democratic change a couple of years back and it seems to be holding, so a lot of the diaspora who left are heading back to try and be part of the change and throwing themesleves in to it trying to help it be a success, a reverse brain drain of sorts. All very exciting.

I'll be in Sudan about two thirds of the year and then back in London the rest of the time.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Two reasons, we want the kids to get an understanding of their heritage and are lucky enough to be able to make that work for us all and secondly, Sudan went through revolution towards democratic change a couple of years back and it seems to be holding, so a lot of the diaspora who left are heading back to try and be part of the change and throwing themesleves in to it trying to help it be a success, a reverse brain drain of sorts. All very exciting.

I'll be in Sudan about two thirds of the year and then back in London the rest of the time.

Superb mate. 

• 1 month later...

I was reminiscing recently about when I first saw this - which convinced me that there was money to be made out of promoting ridiculous schemes that you never intended to actually build.

JS116845232.jpg

Twenty years later, the plot they got permission to build on is still a vacant eyesore in a prominent part of the city centre (although someone apparently has plans for it now... so, fingers crossed!)

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/empty-liverpool-land-pocket-park-12893517

• 2 months later...
On 05/04/2021 at 15:00, Bruce Spanner said:

Didn't realise you were in London Brucey. Where?

6 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Didn't realise you were in London Brucey. Where?

Been living in Madia Vale for the best part of a decade.

In Khartoum currently though, come home a couple of times a year for a few weeks and then spend the summer in London.

You’re going to tell me you are local and the best friendship that never was is that little bit further away, aren’t you?

23 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

In Khartoum currently though, come home a couple of times a year for a few weeks and then spend the summer in London.

You’re going to tell me you are local and the best friendship that never was is that little bit further away, aren’t you?

Ever drink in the Warwick Castle? Had a couple of goods nights there in the past. Little Venice area, I think.

14 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Ever drink in the Warwick Castle? Had a couple of goods nights there in the past. Little Venice area, I think.

I know it well.

I’m technically Notting Hill so am closer to the Goldbourn Road pubs than the Warwick, Idlewild/Truscott/Hero, so tend to head that way more often than not if I’m drinking locally.

I was going to mention Kateh in Rem’s thread about obscure food, great Iranian place.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Ahhhh Maida Vale. When I used to commute from Finchley Road to Notting Hill, the bus route was probably past yours. 

We have a place opposite the Barbican. We'll have to grab a mini tlw latte sometime. It's on me for getting me that euro win in the Draft Forum. 

1 minute ago, rb14 said:

Ahhhh Maida Vale. When I used to commute from Finchley Road to Notting Hill, the bus route was probably past yours. 

We have a place opposite the Barbican. We'll have to grab a mini tlw latte sometime. It's on me for getting me that euro win in the Draft Forum. 

It'll be Kir Royals and it'll be a dozen, or so, at the French.

I'll let you know when I'm back in them parts.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

As you will all know, the window tax introduced in 1600s meant that you paid a tax depending on how many glazed windows your house had. To avoid this, people bricked up their windows and you still this on older buildings (it lasted until 1850). So far so good. A new development near us includes bricked up windows in the brand new houses to try to make them look like they were built pre 1850. So they are building houses that will be artificially dark inside just to pretend to avoid a tax that no longer exists and charging the poor buyers a fortune as a result. I will post a photo next time I’m passing. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

As you will all know, the window tax introduced in 1600s meant that you paid a tax depending on how many glazed windows your house had. To avoid this, people bricked up their windows and you still this on older buildings (it lasted until 1850). So far so good. A new development near us includes bricked up windows in the brand new houses to try to make them look like they were built pre 1850. So they are building houses that will be artificially dark inside just to pretend to avoid a tax that no longer exists and charging the poor buyers a fortune as a result. I will post a photo next time I’m passing. 

Reminds me of the time the Tories tried to bring in a roof tax instead of the Poll tax. Your gran's bungalow in Corby would have ended up paying more tax than an oligarch's London townhouse. Batshit.

A few new ones from recent travels. 

Four from the amazing railway station in Liege at the end of a week at Spa Francorchamps. 

PXL_20211017_141205920.jpg

PXL_20211017_141951484.jpg

PXL_20211017_142855988.jpg

PXL_20211017_142553891.jpg

One from outside the railway station in Aachen. 

PXL_20211017_160231453.jpg

And a great building just east of Cov Garden. 

PXL_20211021_165236462.jpg

Enjoy. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, neko said:

Possibly my favorite house ever is for sale.

Kaufmann Desert House, Palm Springs....

https://www.francisyork.com/blog/the-slim-aarons-poolside-gossip-house-in-palm-springs

Francis+York+The+Slim+Aarons%E2%80%99+%E

Poetry, that.

Great to see it hasn't been festooned with loads of massive tellies and its own bowling alley and whatnot. Bit beyond my summer house budget, mind.

6 hours ago, neko said:

Possibly my favorite house ever is for sale.

Kaufmann Desert House, Palm Springs....

https://www.francisyork.com/blog/the-slim-aarons-poolside-gossip-house-in-palm-springs

Francis+York+The+Slim+Aarons%E2%80%99+%E

My family would ruin that in hours, pool full of inflatables, dog crap on the lawn, bad kids drawings on the walls.