You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Global Warming

Stu Monty

Keep talking like that and you might get one of the top science jobs in the White House.

Sounds good probably pays better than where I am currently it's also sheltered from the hail, sleet snow and the fucking cold and I believe the interns in the white house put out.

I hope they head hunt me!

Just explaining it for those who don't get it, like Kloppite.

Why what does a 2 degree difference mean to a glacier, you will have to explain it to me because I really don't get it as compared to you I am so immensely thick I am barely a functioning human being.

So mister expert genius science person can you please explain to me what the 2 degree difference means, but keep it simple.

If the world temperature rises by two degrees, mountain glaciers and rivers will start to disappear and mountainous regions will see more landslides, as the permafrost that held them together melts away. By 2100, sea levels could rise by a metre, displacing 10% of the world's population

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/2degrees/

If the world temperature rises by two degrees, mountain glaciers and rivers will start to disappear and mountainous regions will see more landslides, as the permafrost that held them together melts away. By 2100, sea levels could rise by a metre, displacing 10% of the world's population

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/2degrees/

Doesn't explain what a 2 degree rise does to a glacier and it is far to complicated me mr genius science expert person.

Why what does a 2 degree difference mean to a glacier, you will have to explain it to me because I really don't get it as compared to you I am so immensely thick I am barely a functioning human being.

So mister expert genius science person can you please explain to me what the 2 degree difference means, but keep it simple.

giphy.gif

Hey Theresa give David Cameron's PR twats a call they'll be able to supply you with huskies and a sled for the photo shoot and then you could get Lord Lawson to give a lecture about how Climate Change isn't really happening to CCHQ

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/12/theresa-may-uk-green-economy

It’s Britain’s duty to help nations hit by climate change

• 1 year later...

Cunts in Davos getting told off by Greta Thunberg (again).  Won't make a blind bit of difference, of course.  Did I mention that they're cunts?

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/01/26/a-16-year-old-tells-world-leaders-i-dont-want-you-to-hope-i-want-you-to-panic/?fbclid=IwAR15hR0_3qfGSMq2MSpb-xuSk5Nca6kKZQKYz-etUpf8lxQt9Nq8AM8imyM

Adults keep saying, we owe it to the young people to give them hope. But I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day and then I want you to act...  I want you to act as if you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house was on fire. Because it is.

• Upvote 3

The rich, powerful, influential people she was talking to - the ones who, more than anyone in the world, could make a difference - travelled to Switzerland in 1,500 private jets.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/davos-2019-private-jets-climate-change-world-economic-forum-summit-attenborough-a8742681.html

I'm currently reading 'New York 2140' by Kim Stanley Robinson, a future dystopia novel where the seas have risen to such a level that Manhattan has been flooded several stories deep. It doesn't sound as shit as I thought so now I've changed my mind, I'm all for global warming.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Cunts in Davos getting told off by Greta Thunberg (again).  Won't make a blind bit of difference, of course.  Did I mention that they're cunts?

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/01/26/a-16-year-old-tells-world-leaders-i-dont-want-you-to-hope-i-want-you-to-panic/?fbclid=IwAR15hR0_3qfGSMq2MSpb-xuSk5Nca6kKZQKYz-etUpf8lxQt9Nq8AM8imyM

Adults keep saying, we owe it to the young people to give them hope. But I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day and then I want you to act...  I want you to act as if you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house was on fire. Because it is.

Who keeps saying that? Screw young people. What have they ever done for us?

• 1 month later...

You might have already read this.

The Uninhabitable Earth
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak — sooner than you think.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

Several of the scientists I spoke with proposed global warming as the solution to Fermi’s famous paradox, which asks, If the universe is so big, then why haven’t we encountered any other intelligent life in it? The answer, they suggested, is that the natural life span of a civilization may be only several thousand years, and the life span of an industrial civilization perhaps only several hundred.

In a universe that is many billions of years old, with star systems separated as much by time as by space, civilizations might emerge and develop and burn themselves up simply too fast to ever find one another.

Peter Ward, a charismatic paleontologist among those responsible for discovering that the planet’s mass extinctions were caused by greenhouse gas, calls this the “Great Filter”: “Civilizations rise, but there’s an environmental filter that causes them to die off again and disappear fairly quickly,” he told me. “If you look at planet Earth, the filtering we’ve had in the past has been in these mass extinctions.”

The mass extinction we are now living through has only just begun; so much more dying is coming.