You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Global Warming

Stu Monty

Growing up all I heard about was how another Ice Age would occur. To be fair winter's were fucking terrible in the 70s.

Everyone was talking about the global cooling those days. I remember the snow reached my neck in the winters. Nowadays it only reaches my hips if it's snowing badly.

You'll have to do better than those links which merely knock the messengers rather than demolish the message.

Leaving aside the weak conspiracy stuff, the central thesis is that the rise in CO2 follows as a consequence of global warming rather than causes it.Has that been properly debunked?

This is the crux of the science for me. To many unanswered questions. There 's a lot wrong with some of the models used to predict climate change and there are, what would appear to be, better fit models and explanations which are not being fully debated. I'm not comfortable with western governments concluding that the best way to stop climate change is regressive taxation. Seems like an agenda to me.

This thread: Oh dear.

To be honest, I blame Channel 4 for being irresponsible enough to show this, although people really ought to use that thing between their ears a bit more often too. Global warming has been proven so conclusively to be anthropogenic that anyone even debating it looks like an idiot. Let's just say that if you believed 9/11 was perpetrated by the US government, then believing that we are all being lied to about Global Warming is one whole extra order of nuttiness.

I lack the time or the will to make a proper post in this thread, as my body grows weary of arguing with Holocau... er, I mean, Global Warming Deniers on the Internet, so I will leave you with:

(1) Observer article about the C4 show in question

(2) ukwatch.net article about the C4 show in question

(3) Monbiot's article from January about the show

Irresponsible? What for? Debating the issues? Showing there might be another point of view? Scandalous. It's a good job the Beeb aren't allowed to be so impartial isn't it! If the science of climate change is correct then surely a different opinion is no threat? One of the things that bugs me the most about the environmentalists' cause is that they're not prepared to debate the science. Slag the messenger is all they seem able to do. Global warming has certainly not been proven to be anthropogenic. And as aws has pointed out there is much evidence to suggest that CO2 rises follow global warming rather than cause it.

I can't comment on the documentary itself yet as I haven't seen it.

As i understand it most of the science in that programme was just plain wrong. Virtually all the reputable climnate scientists say that there is a t least a 95% chance that global warming exists and is a growing problem and is caused by carbon emissions. Seems pretty straightforward. If we don't do something about it now we're fucked

Everyone was talking about the global cooling those days. I remember the snow reached my neck in the winters. Nowadays it only reaches my hips if it's snowing badly.

Aye, I recall trapsing to school in the 70s thru massive snow drifts. Despite having 4WD/ABS etc today it only takes a sprinkling of snow and the country grinds to a halt. Pussies.

There were also some fair blistering summers. Think '77 was one? The year Botham spanked the Aussies.

But we no longer appear to have 4 contrasting seasons. Just a mild winter and relatively warm summer.

From what I gather, the more rational voices say that although flares do cause a warming of the atmosphere, the actions of man have exacerbated that to a degree where we are on the verge of a very serious shift in climate that will lead to more extreme temperatures, particularly in the Northern Hemisphere.

Yeah, this is basically the case. Flaring has an effect, but the maximum percentage of Global Warming attributed to natural solar variation by any study is 36%.

So even with the most conservative estimates, we're responsible for at least 64% of climate change.

Irresponsible? What for? Debating the issues? Showing there might be another point of view? Scandalous.

No, for giving a platform to clowns.

Of 923 articles in peer-reviewed science articles over the past decade, not one has questioned the fact that man is causing climate change, although the degree to which we are responsible is still up for discussion. The issue has already been debated, and there is an overwhelming scientific consensus. Documentaries like this are aimed at the unthinking masses, not the greatest science brains of our time. GW-deniers know they have lost the academic battle, so they're trying to stir up trouble by appealing to the rabble.

You respect opposing views up to a point. You wouldn't give screentime to people who argued that the Earth was flat. GW-deniers are the 21st Century's equivalent of the Flat Earthers.

Doctor Foster

Went to Gloucester

In a shower of rain.

He stepped in a puddle

Right up to his middle

And said, "why the hell has this water taken all the skin off my legs?!"

Mary, Mary

Quite contrary

How does your garden grow?

Uhh...

...it doesn't.

Red sky at night,

Shepherd's delight.

Sheep drowned in the morning,

Global warming!

Courtesy of Steve Punt & Hugh Dennis circa 1992

• 8 years later...

Awesome. Reminds me of the way fungus that eats radiation has emerged in the Chernobyl reactor. Nature is incredible. 

http://news.agu.org/press-release/southern-ocean-removing-carbon-dioxide-from-atmosphere-more-efficiently/

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Since 2002, the Southern Ocean has been removing more of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, according to two new studies. These studies make use of millions of ship-based observations and a variety of data analysis techniques to conclude that that the Southern Ocean has increasingly taken up more carbon dioxide during the last 13 years. That follows a decade from the early 1990s to 2000s, where evidence suggested the Southern Ocean carbon dioxide sink was weakening. The new studies appear today in the American Geophysical Union journal Geophysical Research Letters and the AAAS journalScience.

• 3 months later...

Bump.

Is this why I'm expiring in work here? It aint no hot flush, before you ask. It was 15 deg on my car as I drove in at 08.00. That's not right

The wind is making up for it, I went out to put the bins out and landed up in fucking Oz.

I've been saying for years that the seasons are moving back, all this means is that March will be Baltic.

Our heating is set to come on at 4 am just to have the house warm for the young one when we get up. I forgot to turn it off last night and woke up sweating like a fat chick at a disco. Climate is 100% fucked. It's not natural either.

4am? Eek! Ours was set to come on at 06.30 and the first thing I did when I got up at 07.20 was go straight down and turn the thing off.

I hate the cold but this is just plain weird

The wind is making up for it, I went out to put the bins out and landed up in fucking Oz. I've been saying for years that the seasons are moving back, all this means is that March will be Baltic.

Get you and your own bins now!

• Upvote 1

Another winter when I don't get to wear my big coat. So disappointed.

We were just saying the same. Much as I dislike the cold there is something nice about wrapping up warm in big coats and scarves, coming home and getting warm, mulled wine, all that kind of thing

Saw a wasp earlier.

This can't possibly be real life.

I reckon next year's going to be mental for insects.

(Disclaimer - I have no scientific basis for this prediction, nor can I be arsed opening another tab to look up anything about the effects of mild winters on insect populations.)