You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Global Warming

Stu Monty

Extinction Rebellion calls on protesters to block London streets

About 2,300 climate activists have already signed up to help obstruct busy roads next week

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/13/extinction-rebellion-calls-protesters-block-london-streets

I wonder how long it's going to take before governments actually admit that they have to stop being ignorant on this one, because I doubt it's simply going to pass.

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

George monbiot said the super wealthy are already talking about how they will pay their security teams once we have an ecological breakdown because money will have no worth. Seemed obvious to me people will work for food shelter and not being bummed mad max style by mohicans in leather chaps.

Do you have to opt out of the bumming? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

George monbiot said the super wealthy are already talking about how they will pay their security teams once we have an ecological breakdown because money will have no worth. Seemed obvious to me people will work for food shelter and not being bummed mad max style by mohicans in leather chaps.

How are they planning to maintain their wealth if there's a big breakdown? There's billions of us against a small amount of them, with their security teams. They can't possibly hope to maintain things if we feel we have nothing left to live for. I think that's the bit they haven't quite grasped yet. In the past people have at least known life would still go on in some way. If that's gone, so does any need to hold back I'd guess.

They're way out of touch on this I think, if they like the idea of avoiding class wars or whatever this is the absolute worst way to go about it, because it's probably the single biggest way to start one. An actual war for the survival of our species? I don't think they'd stand a fucking chance.

I think they'll figure this out at some point and just back down.

Maybe Macron's ignorance of the protesters in France is some type of field test for how much leaders can take the piss in the west. Maybe it's not too far from the limits of how far they can push it too. Imagine a massive group in France also causing chaos because they think our survival is doomed, along with what's already going on? Macron would be done for.

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

How are they planning to maintain their wealth if there's a big breakdown? There's billions of us against a small amount of them, with their security teams. They can't possibly hope to maintain things if we feel we have nothing left to live for. I think that's the bit they haven't quite grasped yet. In the past people have at least known life would still go on in some way. If that's gone, so does any need to hold back I'd guess.

They're way out of touch on this I think, if they like the idea of avoiding class wars or whatever this is the absolute worst way to go about it, because it's probably the single biggest way to start one. An actual war for the survival of our species? I don't think they'd stand a fucking chance.

I think they'll figure this out at some point and just back down.

As a non billionaire. Fuck knows.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

As a non billionaire. Fuck knows.

If someone on here is a billionaire we can get him/her on the inside with this lot and see how they plan on surviving the apocalypse, and they can leak info out to us. So they should post and let us know if they are, and I hope they've paid for a membership too or else rico is going to go apeshit.

17 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

If someone on here is a billionaire we can get him/her on the inside with this lot and see how they plan on surviving the apocalypse, and they can leak info out to us. So they should post and let us know if they are, and I hope they've paid for a membership too or else rico is going to go apeshit.

Paid for a membership?! It's all those memberships that made the billionaire that posts amongst us...

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You're not a horror film fan then?

Nope. Scifi, fantasy or marvel/dc films, rarely watch any other type of stuff. Used to like them as a kid, but after watching one or more Hellraiser films I didn't think those could be topped very well and it all got kind of boring to me for the most part.

On 09/03/2007 at 14:40, aws said:

You'll have to do better than those links which merely knock the messengers rather than demolish the message.

Leaving aside the weak conspiracy stuff, the central thesis is that the rise in CO2 follows as a consequence of global warming rather than causes it.Has that been properly debunked?

Always thought that this doco succeeded in debunking Gore and the IPCC:

97% of climate studies agree on the fact of man-made global warming. 

The other 3% have been shown to be bollocks.

https://qz.com/1069298/the-3-of-scientific-papers-that-deny-climate-change-are-all-flawed/

Still, I've not watched RedShift's "debunking" documentary yet. I'm sure it will be compelling.

See, I used to be sceptical about Climate Change, but it's pretty transparent now that we've fucking up the planet. Our use of plastics, pesticides and chemicals. We have a finite amount of resources and we are using them with reckless abandon because the only thing that seems to matter is profit.

Biodiversity is dwindling, air pollution is increasing and the planet is well on it's way to becoming uninhabitable.

Whether it warms the climate change is directly linked to CO2, is of little consequence really. I want my little lad to be able to grow up without fighting for food or avoiding any direct sunlight etc etc.

The Mirror has an iconic front page today, and it seems like the worm is turning on this. It could be an exciting and uniting future with a great deal more harmony, rather than a future of servitude and profit chasing.