You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Parry - Single tier kop

well this at least confirms that.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=we%2D%2D8217%2Dll-keep-the-kop-at-new-ground-%2D%2D8211%2D-parry%26method=full%26objectid=18691572%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

We’ll keep the Kop at new ground – Parry

Mar 1 2007

By Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL chief executive Rick Parry insists the club are fully committed to ensuring the Stanley Park Stadium incorporates a distinctive Kop End.

Designs for the new arena reveal that, unike the current Anfield, there won’t be one larger stand eclipsing the others, which has prompted some fears the impact of the current Kop won’t be replicated.

The Reds chief says both the current hierarchy and the new owners have been considering several alternative ways to ensure the most famous stand in football is recreated within the modern stadium.

George Gillett and Tom Hicks are in the process of analysing what minor improvements can be made to the current design, but there will be no compromise on preserving the The Kop End.

"The plan is to have a single tier Kop. There’s no question of that. That’s one of the priorities we don’t want to change," said Parry.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"In terms of whether one stand will be bigger than others, that’s difficult. When you’re designing a new stadium that’s not particularly logical. But all of us at the club know that making The Kop distinctive is very important. George and Tom absolutely understand that. There are a variety of different ways we can do that, but we don’t have any specifics to discuss at the moment."

Parry is also acutely aware of the need to preserve the unique Anfield atmosphere likely in the forthcoming fixtures against Manchester United and Barcelona, while also supporting fans’ efforts to enhance the noise levels at less high profile games.

One theory is that if the facilities in the Stanley Park Stadium are good enough, more fans may be encouraged to arrive at the ground earlier, which tends to build an atmosphere prior to kick-off.

However, Parry recognises changing the match going routines of Liverpool supporters is easier in theory than practice.

"We can certainly improve facilities and if we do that well, perhaps we can encourage more people to congregate in the stadium earlier.

"But changing habits is difficult," he said.

"If we can provide more football related pre-match entertainment which isn’t marching bands or dancing girls, there must be ways of doing it. But that has to come from the fans. We want to listen to them and hear ways of making that difference.

"We have a dialogue with the fans involved with the Reclaim The Kop camapaign, but we know they’re not an exclusive voice on these issues and don’t necessarily speak for everyone.

"But with the Reclaim The Kop campaign we respect that someone is trying to take the initiative and take positive action. That should be applauded and we’re always keen to hear more ideas."

Gillett and Hicks will bring their own matchday experiences from the United States, but there is clearly a different culture separating American and English sports fans.

Parry added: "With American sports, the whole event is much longer. In all their sports there are more time-outs and breaks, so for an hour long ice hockey match you’re there three hours. Baseball is even longer, so there’s a lot of stop-starting which couldn’t be the case here.

"You also have car parking for 12,000 people so there’s more picnic areas and the like. It’s completely different here. The reason people went to the ground earlier in football grounds in the old days is because you didn’t always have a seat and needed to queue up to get in.

"Nowadays people have their seat in advance."

That all sounds quite promising to me.

what makes me laugh is the whole "how do we get people the match earlier". Is he fucking stupid? What does he think most people are doing? They're in the pub having a decent pint watching footy. Get draught ale in (not casrlsberg cooking larger either!!), plenty of staff on the kiosks/bars and a load of tellies under the stand with the game on and more will turn up, it's simple imo.

Obviously some lads couldn't do it because all their mates are in different stands etc - but i see no reason for that to be the case in the new ground. If you take the millenium for an example, you can walk right round from one stand to another within your section. I don't see why that couldn't be done in our new stadium.

A pic would be nice, but I suppose they are not finished finalising the design yet.

To be honest though, this should have sorted out when the architects drew up their plans years ago, why has it become a last minute decision. You would have thought that it would have been one of the original standard ideas, cant believe Parry didn't suggest this earlier (wait a minute....yes I can!)

As long as its single tier, thats fine by me. Has there been any word on how many fans it will hold?

what makes me laugh is the whole "how do we get people the match earlier". Is he fucking stupid? What does he think most people are doing? They're in the pub having a decent pint watching footy. Get draught ale in (not casrlsberg cooking larger either!!), plenty of staff on the kiosks/bars and a load of tellies under the stand with the game on and more will turn up, it's simple imo.

Obviously some lads couldn't do it because all their mates are in different stands etc - but i see no reason for that to be the case in the new ground. If you take the millenium for an example, you can walk right round from one stand to another within your section. I don't see why that couldn't be done in our new stadium.

At Hull's stadium thye have tvs all over the place and you can walk around with a beer and watch rugby, snooker, football or whatever else happens to be on that day. Its freezing though.

Other grounds have had TV's in them for years, with draught lager. Never mind swanning off to the Finger lickin chickin bowl, It's a pity Parry never bothered to look at some of the grounds in this a country, then maybe he may realise what it takes to get people in early. Blackburn immediately spring to mind, as well as Derby.

Other grounds have had TV's in them for years, with draught lager. Never mind swanning off to the Finger lickin chickin bowl, It's a pity Parry never bothered to look at some of the grounds in this a country, then maybe he may realise what it takes to get people in early. Blackburn immediately spring to mind, as well as Derby.

the ale is shit at blackburn though. i wouldn't go earlier to drink that swill unless there was no other option (pretty much as it is at anfield). they need to make sure what is on offer is at least as good as what's available in the pubs - a decent choice of ale, same with spirits, served reletively promtply.

Agrred. Last time I was in Pride Park, they were pulling draught Bitter and Lager from a kiosk. Big queue that went down very quickly because that's all they were selling. Impressed, but the nearest boozer to Pride Park is by the station which is a good walk away .

the ale is shit at blackburn though. i wouldn't go earlier to drink that swill unless there was no other option (pretty much as it is at anfield). they need to make sure what is on offer is at least as good as what's available in the pubs - a decent choice of ale, same with spirits, served reletively promtply.

Don't mind the ale at Blackburn, at least it's draught and it doesn't take a couple of minutes to pour.

You're right though, they do need to get their act together. I'd rather have a couple of pints before the game in the ground than in the pub, because at least the club would benefit. At the moment I get in 5 minutes before kick off.

If everyone is in the ground early, then does that mean I'll be stood outside on my own with no customers? If so, I demand a kiosk next to the bar to sell my warez.

You selling dodgy cds as well now.

Fucking hell server costs must be steep.

Don't mind the ale at Blackburn, at least it's draught and it doesn't take a couple of minutes to pour.

You're right though, they do need to get their act together. I'd rather have a couple of pints before the game in the ground than in the pub, because at least the club would benefit. At the moment I get in 5 minutes before kick off.

I can't remember the last time I got in that early!! When the kop was 1st built, I tried that bar out on the ground floor by 108, but it's always chocker and was only ever carlsberg, which always ran out and you were back on warm tinnies. Like you though I'd like to get there earlier at times, I might not do it every week, but would on occasion, especially the 12.45 games.

they could make a good few quid out of it. loads drink plenty match day - if they just got 10,000 people extra to spend a tenner a game on ale (4 pints each?), it'd be a turnover of 100k a game, so a few mil over the season with cup matches etc - i know it's not all profit, but it's better than now and 10k out of the 60k in the new ground is a nothing target to aim for. in addition you'd spend more, be more likely to eat there, be more likely to put a bet on etc and spend even more of your match money there than you would at other locations.

we went to that dome in toronto on the pre-season tour the other year both for our match and a baseball game. that was a great place for sucking money out of you - but somehow you didn't feel you were being had off, which i think everytime i buy a warm can of carlsberg for 2.50 or whatever it is at anfield.

I quite like going for a pint before the game in one of the pubs. Also its not just about planet liverpool but the all the surrounding area and local businesses. I thought that's what it was all about.

I'm sure the local pubs will be fine though, it's not like scousers dont like a pint is it.

I quite like going for a pint before the game in one of the pubs. Also its not just about planet liverpool but the all the surrounding area and local businesses. I thought that's what it was all about.

I'm sure the local pubs will be fine though, it's not like scousers dont like a pint is it.

Agree with that, it is all part of the pre match ritual, a pint in the bar and then into the ground.

the pubs are doing a right mint on match day as it is - you can't breathe in most of them pre-kick off and that is only going to get worse when 16000 more people are going the match. i see no reason why the pubs and shops around the ground can't continue to thrive and make good money, while the club ups it's pre-matchday revenue at the same time.

Agree with that, it is all part of the pre match ritual, a pint in the bar and then into the ground.

but it would be good if you could perhaps leave the pub at 2.30, get the ground and have a pint? I'd sooner that than do what i do now getting there last second. with 60,000 customers, the club only need to reach a minority or take a minority of your pint money to make a good profit.

Yeh i probably wouldn’t drink in the ground until like you say further down the thread half an hour before the game. But i would get a pint at half time if i could. I tend to get food at the game more and that is awful. If you don’t get up and miss the last 10mins of the first half queing for a pie or hot dog ya fucked. Last match i tried to get something to fill a hole (no gay jokes please) and all the had left were fucking kit kats. I hate kit kats.

Yeh i probably wouldn’t drink in the ground until like you say further down the thread half an hour before the game. But i would get a pint at half time if i could. I tend to get food at the game more and that is awful. If you don’t get up and miss the last 10mins of the first half queing for a pie or hot dog ya fucked. Last match i tried to get something to fill a hole (no gay jokes please) and all the had left were fucking kit kats. I hate kit kats.

The pies are that hot at Anfield that I buy my pie before the match and by the time half time comes they're actually at a temperature where you can actually eat them without it taking two layers of skin off the roof of your mouth. There's also less of a queue just before kick off.

The pies are that hot at Anfield that I buy my pie before the match and by the time half time comes they're actually at a temperature where you can actually eat them without it taking two layers of skin off the roof of your mouth. There's also less of a queue just before kick off.

hehe ... that's exactly what i do! i started mine after about 30 mins on saturday and my mate says to me, you must be hungry eating that this early in the game!