You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First eleven for a title challenge - who's good enough?

Paul

Who are you sure is good enough for a 1st 11 title tilt?  

1,775 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you sure is good enough for a 1st 11 title tilt?

I didn't pick Momo or Finnan; let the feathering commence. To add, though, if I'd read the question properly I'd have picked Momo.

Now I know what your issues with Finnan are but I still can't see how you can not include him under the terms of this poll, but then vote for Kuyt.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know what your issues with Finnan are but I still can't see how you can not include him under the terms of this poll, but then vote for Kuyt.

Whereas I know what your issues with Kuyt are but I don't understand why you then vote for Finnan.

Not as controversial as thinking Agger is, surely?

Agger isn't a better defender than Carragher, but he represents what Liverpool has been lacking since Hansen and what I think is very important for at least one centreback to have, which is the ability to run with the ball and function as a (2nd) playmaker.

Fuck off you two. It's a very specific question. No one's saying they want Crouchy out. No-one's saying he can't be part of a title winning squad, as that wasn't the question. Always with the constant little digs and twisting of things.

As for the poll, good work Paul, certainly the results are very interesting.

I voted then had a look at who I'd voted for. It corresponded with what I think we need - a left back, left winger and striker. Does that mean we shouldn't go after Alves though?

Surprised at the votes for The Chief as well. Far too early to tell.

Edit: hmmn, lots of posts between starting and finishing the reply!

I'm certain about Finnan, Gerrard, Agger, Alonso, Kuyt, Sissoko, Carragher and Reina. It's far too early to say with Mascherano but I'm confident he'll do the business. All the others I have doubts about but that doesn't mean they are not good enough.

That is my list exactly, except for Kuyt who is my biggest dissapointment of the season given that i'd been championing (sp) and urging us to sign him for the last two years, whilst i love his commitment and effort his first touch is truly horrible and his finishing has been a let down as well. I just pity the 2 poor souls who have voted Pennant.

I think any of our current strikers are good enough on the proviso we bring in one more striker who is world class to play alongside them. Or am i misunderstanding the rules here?

Check out the first post - players about whom you have no doubts as to their quality for the 1st 11. I think Crouch, Bellamy and Kuyt are all good enough as a second striker, but each one has a significant question mark over him, for me - and could be improved upon. I'm not saying we should get rid, or that they're shite, or that they won't improve; just that I have significant doubts about them right now.

for the purpose of the poll iv made my sel

but the title isnt won with just 11 so i think this is a bit unfair as there are a lot more who are good enough to be a a title winning squad and with the addition of 3 or 4 players you would have it

a finisher with pace and works in the box

a top class wide man and

a couple of fullbacks would do it for me

Check out the first post - players about whom you have no doubts as to their quality for the 1st 11. I think Crouch, Bellamy and Kuyt are all good enough as a second striker, but each one has a significant question mark over him, for me - and could be improved upon. I'm not saying we should get rid, or that they're shite, or that they won't improve; just that I have significant doubts about them right now.

Ah you see, I voted for Crouch Bellamy and Kuyt, using that same logic. Either one of them is good enough to be in a title winning side, but as you say as the second striker. If we signed a shit hot goalscorer and played him alongside any of those current 3 strikers they'd be fine. Likewise I voted for Pennant. If we sign a fantastic left winger, and forward then I reckon Pennant would do a decent enough job on the right. You don't need a "world class" player in every position to win the league.

Putting aside all the issues of rotation, who do you think, in our current squad, is definitely good enough to be a first choice player in a Liverpool team seriously challenging for the title? Even if you think there's an issue of fitting them all in the side (as with the four central midfielders), you can still vote for them. However, only vote for players about whom you personally have no significant doubts.

By the way, I've arbitrarily decided to leave some players off the list as they're either too new or there's already a general consensus about them.

There is at least one person who has selected at least 11 players as being good enough.

Would any of those people like to say why they think we aren't top of the league? seeing as they think we have the players available.

There is at least one person who has selected at least 11 players as being good enough.

Would any of those people like to say why they think we aren't top of the league? seeing as they think we have the players available.

Because in the real world you need at least 15 players of the required quality to win it.

That is my list exactly, except for Kuyt who is my biggest dissapointment of the season given that i'd been championing (sp) and urging us to sign him for the last two years, whilst i love his commitment and effort his first touch is truly horrible and his finishing has been a let down as well. I just pity the 2 poor souls who have voted Pennant.

I agree with you. Kuyut has been sort of as disappointment.

I know this his first season and hes been here for half season yet.

But his finishing has been disappointing, but the biggest disappointing aspect is his control its poor.

Cant win the league with 11 men. I picked 13.

I've included ten, so I guess I'm close enough to qualify for that.

Negative away tactics, excessive rotation and poor passing and movement as a team. As I've said many times before.

I picked 13. For partly the reasons mentioned in my post earlier. I reckon we're 1 or 2 players from being the best team in the league. A top striker and a dribbling threat from midfield. If we got 1 striker, then any of our current 3 (sorry Robbie) would be good enough to be first choice.

The reason we're not top of the league at the moment? Too many important players off form at the start of the season, combined with the tough away games all coming at this time. Not being ruthless enough in front of goal away from home.

I have fucked mine up, unsurprisingly.

I have done it for squad players rather than first 11. I would not have included Aurelio, Gonzalez for example.

Kewell had the quality but his time has passed. He can now get injured opening biscuits, not what we want.

Hard to say about attackers, Robbie is obviously on his way, Voronin coming in, who I have not seen, but isn't prolific particularly, means that another needs to go to make way for a REALLY prolific striker. Villa is exactly the sort.

James Dean, you are a mentalist if you think Carra can be replaced by "someone better". Who exactly? Who wouyld have his ability combined with the will to win and a willingness to tackle a train if necessary.