You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

YESSS Masch man can sign

WeAreTheBest

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that dude has an option to buy him back in 18 months time, I guess it would be for a fixed fee...so if that fee is about the same amount we paid, then at least we wont lose him for free... maybe we have an option for more years, if he decides not to use his option.

anyhow...seems like a very complicated deal.

Opportunities................................and possibilities.

Corinthians paid nearly £8m for him before he went to West Ham. He was owned by MIS (think that's them), a dodgy entity that nobody knows the true story about. Suspected to be a rich Russian. Somebody has obviously got paid off.

MSI owned him and Abramovich is supposed to have links to them, allegedly.

As others have suggested, it's clearly a loan deal in all but name in order to get around the problem of third party ownership. We buy him for £10m on an 18 month deal with a clause that states Joobie-whatsit has to buy him back if we're not happy. If we are, then we get to extend his contract. In other words, £10m = a risk-free bargain.

In terms of The Chief as a player and where he'll fit into the team, I agree we're strengthening in an area that's already our best by some distance. However, I can't see how Gerrard will play in the middle now. I still think he's more dangerous playing from the flank with fewer defensive responsibilities. I also suspect we may see more of Big Mo going forward, or at the very least, playing box-to-box. Anyone remember the last league of last season against West Ham when Gerrard was rested? He was constantly breaking forward in that match. Maybe Rafa's going to try and replicate his Valencia central three with Mo the more advanced of the trio.

The greatest positive from The Chief's signing has to be the impact on our possession, though. He and Xabi will retain the ball all day long and his signature instantly takes the level of technique in the team significantly upwards. Potentially a truly great signing, this.

As others have suggested, it's clearly a loan deal in all but name in order to get around the problem of third party ownership. We buy him for £10m on an 18 month deal with a clause that states Joobie-whatsit has to buy him back if we're not happy. If we are, then we get to extend his contract. In other words, £10m = a risk-free bargain.

In terms of The Chief as a player and where he'll fit into the team, I agree we're strengthening in an area that's already our best by some distance. However, I can't see how Gerrard will play in the middle now. I still think he's more dangerous playing from the flank with fewer defensive responsibilities. I also suspect we may see more of Big Mo going forward, or at the very least, playing box-to-box. Anyone remember the last league of last season against West Ham when Gerrard was rested? He was constantly breaking forward in that match. Maybe Rafa's going to try and replicate his Valencia central three with Mo the more advanced of the trio.

The greatest positive from The Chief's signing has to be the impact on our possession, though. He and Xabi will retain the ball all day long and his signature instantly takes the level of technique in the team significantly upwards. Potentially a truly great signing, this.

I'd play Gerrard in the centre before the other 3. Benitez likes the 2 deep lying central midfielders so I agree that it's more likely he'll play on the right but I think we should have an attacking central midfielder in there, especially one as good as Gerrard.

I'd play Gerrard in the centre before the other 3. Benitez likes the 2 deep lying central midfielders so I agree that it's more likely he'll play on the right but I think we should have an attacking central midfielder in there, especially one as good as Gerrard.

I think it gets too crowded for him when he plays like that. He needs the space to run onto the ball and take players on. Wedged in that slot between midfield and defence is too cramped for him.

I think it gets too crowded for him when he plays like that. He needs the space to run onto the ball and take players on. Wedged in that slot between midfield and defence is too cramped for him.

Maybe but I think it gives the team a better balance with 1 attacking central midfielder and 1 defensive one. We seem to struggle to break teams down when we have Alonso and Sissoko playing together, but this could be solved if Benitez allowed Alonso to attack a bit more. It might not matter so much if we can sign a few more top quality players though, especially on the left as it wouldn't just be down to Gerrard to create things.

Maybe but I think it gives the team a better balance with 1 attacking central midfielder and 1 defensive one. We seem to struggle to break teams down when we have Alonso and Sissoko playing together, but this could be solved if Benitez allowed Alonso to attack a bit more. It might not matter so much if we can sign a few more top quality players though, especially on the left as it wouldn't just be down to Gerrard to create things.

Absolutely right. Brownie made that point in the fanzine recently. A side where Gerrard is just one of many great attcking options would be a very different prospect - and just might allow him to take his game to another level above the one he's at right now; an exciting prospect, to say the least.

Sums up how i'm thinking. SG back on the right where he was player of the year last year. God bless West Ham if The Chief comes good in English Football.

:yes: :yes:

Mascherano is a brilliant player, but Hermes is right. he has strenghtened our squad in our strongest department. Think of any team that has Zenden as 5th choice central midfielder? Thats a very strong central midfield.

But had we got lets say a right or left winger of Masheranos quality...or a striker or a left back, that would have strenghtened out first 11 more.

Still a he is a brilliant player and im delighted he finally is cleared to play for us.

I agree, but we'll have our cake and eat it! Rafa will sort out the left side and striker positions in the summer.

I'm at little concerned that Mascherano didn't get a game at West Ham. Hopefully that doesn't mean that he isn't suited to the english game (like Veron and others)....

The hype is clearly going to some people's heads. I personally don't see the big deal. I'm not picking on this post specifically, but just using it as an example. Mascherano is a good player. He has a great reputation because of the fact that he was very well developed physically and mentally at a very young age, and as such has a been in the spotlight a long time and has a lot of playing experience despite being only 22.

But he is hardly a special player, and he is world class only because of an inflated reputation. He isn't particularly outstanding in any skill. Technique? Alonso craps on him technically. Mascherano is no better than good technically by Argie standards. Fernando Gago, whom Madrid signed and is another young Argie defensive midfield phenom is much better technically. Mascherano is a good passer without being great. Defensively he is very good and has managed to dominate in Argentina. He had a good World Cup where he was basically invisible amongst Argentina's attacking talent. Which is a good thing in terms of his defensive duties, but then the Argies were never long without possession. Because they didn't give it away. Mascherano provided little in attack, particularly compared to fellow defensive mid Cambiasso, whom I have never rated particularly highly.

It's obvious people want to get excited about a Liverpool signing particularly when they come with a reputation, but I don't think it is particularly deserved as Mascherano simply isn't as talented as his rep suggests. He's just a very good player whom will be a good squad addition. If Sissoko's development continues, I don't see Mascherano ever jumping in front of him in the queue.

The hype is clearly going to some people's heads. I personally don't see the big deal. I'm not picking on this post specifically, but just using it as an example. Mascherano is a good player. He has a great reputation because of the fact that he was very well developed physically and mentally at a very young age, and as such has a been in the spotlight a long time and has a lot of playing experience despite being only 22.

But he is hardly a special player, and he is world class only because of an inflated reputation. He isn't particularly outstanding in any skill. Technique? Alonso craps on him technically. Mascherano is no better than good technically by Argie standards. Fernando Gago, whom Madrid signed and is another young Argie defensive midfield phenom is much better technically. Mascherano is a good passer without being great. Defensively he is very good and has managed to dominate in Argentina. He had a good World Cup where he was basically invisible amongst Argentina's attacking talent. Which is a good thing in terms of his defensive duties, but then the Argies were never long without possession. Because they didn't give it away. Mascherano provided little in attack, particularly compared to fellow defensive mid Cambiasso, whom I have never rated particularly highly.

It's obvious people want to get excited about a Liverpool signing particularly when they come with a reputation, but I don't think it is particularly deserved as Mascherano simply isn't as talented as his rep suggests. He's just a very good player whom will be a good squad addition. If Sissoko's development continues, I don't see Mascherano ever jumping in front of him in the queue.

We've been watching different players.

I'm well aware that he still has to prove himself here, but I think the chances are very good.

Adding to our strength in the middle is a good thing, as we have seen how quickly a precieved strength can turn to weakness (Momo and Zenden injured left us short).

If Mascherano comes good, then I can see him playing alongside Alonoso in the deeper role, with Sissoko just ahead of them. With Gerrard wide right (in free role), in a three man attacking setup we could rock and role.

The deal sounds good too, 10m for a player of his reputation, not bad.

Were protected if he doesnt work out (as its only 18months) with a buyu back clause, whilst if he does well, we dont have to pay another fee for him (or maybe we pay a certain amount if he signs an extension). Seems like we've played this one well and put Kia J in a spot, good work Parry and co.

I'm well aware that he still has to prove himself here, but I think the chances are very good.

I'm not saying he will fail. I think he will succeed. I just don't think he is as good as people are saying. He doesn't really have any standout qualities. He is very good in the tackle, but how he handles positional play in the much faster Premiership is crucial to whether he can make an impact. I think he is very good defensively, and if he can make the transition then he will be a very good player. But his passing and technical qualities for me are very overrated.

Are there two Mascheranos ? Have I missed something here ? Didnt Argentina, in part, keep possesion so well (a tactic Rafa builds his teams on) patly due to the Cheifs input ? Wasn't his abilityu to play accurate passes, not waste possesion and spot openings a crucial part of that ?

Players with better reputations than Mascherano have come over here and failed (Morientes, to give one example) which is one of the reasons why I'm not expecting too much. The fact that he's hardly set the world alight at West Ham adds to my sceptacism. I'd love to be wrong though!

Players with better reputations than Mascherano have come over here and failed (Morientes, to give one example) which is one of the reasons why I'm not expecting too much. The fact that he's hardly set the world alight at West Ham adds to my sceptacism. I'd love to be wrong though!

I can't believe you are using the fact that he failed at West Ham as an argument. They played him 7 times. In a shit team. In deep shit. i doubt Xabi or Stevie would have fared better in a new league in a shit team.

I think you're contradicting yourself here. The only reason Gerrard can play like he does from the right, is that Momo covers an incredible amount of ground to basically do a lot of Gerrard's defensive work as well as his own. We will not see more of Sissoko going forward with Gerrard playing from right midfield than we have.

Perhaps I should point out that I don't see Sissoko as a defensive/sitting midfielder like many do. That role in our team is played by Alonso. Sissoko is an all action, all over the place midfielder. And that is the way he will continue to play.

As for Gerrard ending up back out on the right, I think that's been on the cards for quite a while. Mainly because of Pennant's failure to stake a claim for a regular starting place. He just isn't good enough. It will be interesting to see if Rafa makes an effort to sign a right winger this summer, or if he decides to go with Gerrard.

I just can't summon the same enthusiasm about Mascherano as most of you on here. I think I've seen him play only once, and that was in Germany. Can't say he impressed too much then, but that doesn't mean he's shite. I'm looking forward to his debut, and it would definately be cool if Javier could get a sub appearance tonight.

Are there two Mascheranos ? Have I missed something here ? Didnt Argentina, in part, keep possesion so well (a tactic Rafa builds his teams on) patly due to the Cheifs input ? Wasn't his abilityu to play accurate passes, not waste possesion and spot openings a crucial part of that ?

Oh no, Mascherano did very well at the World Cup. Thoughto be honest very few players could have played poorly in that Argie team, bar their last game in the tournament. But that doesn't mean he is world class. Not the least because it is fairly well established that a great World Cup performance doesn't define a players ability, even if it does his reputation.

I can't believe you are using the fact that he failed at West Ham as an argument. They played him 7 times. In a shit team. In deep shit. i doubt Xabi or Stevie would have fared better in a new league in a shit team.

It's the fact that he only played 7 times for a shit team that bothers me I think. I obviously don't know what went on at West Ham but I would have thought if he's that good he would have been able to get into their side. There could have been other factors involved though and as I said, I really hope he comes good for us.

I've not got a massive downer on the guy, am just not as excited as some at his signing.

I just can't summon the same enthusiasm about Mascherano as most of you on here. I think I've seen him play only once, and that was in Germany. Can't say he impressed too much then, but that doesn't mean he's shite. I'm looking forward to his debut, and it would definately be cool if Javier could get a sub appearance tonight.

That's pretty much how I feel as well.

It's the fact that he only played 7 times for a shit team that bothers me I think. I obviously don't know what went on at West Ham but I would have thought if he's that good he would have been able to get into their side. There could have been other factors involved though and as I said, I really hope he comes good for us.

I've not got a massive downer on the guy, am just not as excited as some at his signing.

I think there was a lot of external stuff at West Ham. 7 games isn't enough for anyone to get used to a new league anyway, that was more my point.

I think there was a lot of external stuff at West Ham. 7 games isn't enough for anyone to get used to a new league anyway, that was more my point.

I do agree with that. Hopefully he can get a bit more experience in the rest of this season and we'll see the best of him next season.