You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Flat Earth society

Liquid football

Gut feeling.

People voted Leave on a gut feeling. People think the earth is flat because of a gut feeling.

Maybe stupid does emanates from gut? Scientists need to work on that hypothesis I think.

Shhhhhhh.

Dont bring politics into serious debate.

Jules Verne has nothing on this guy. However, I have a gut feeling this will not end well.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/883221/USA-rocket-flat-earth-research-california-desert-mad-mike-hughes-NASA-space-amboy

Self-taught rocket scientist “Mad Mike” Hughes plans to launch himself 1,800 feet (550 metres) and fly through the air at 500mph in his steam-powered vessel made of scrap metal.

The 61-year-old limo driver has spent £15,000 ($20,000) building his rocket and his goal is to get 10 miles high so he can prove the Earth is disc-shaped.

He also used protective Rust-Oleum paint and he bought a motor home on craigslist which he converted into a launch vessel.

The flight is planned for this weekend and is the first step in his flat-Earth space programme.

It turns out Mike has form, but the 2014 launch was a bit limited. Not to mention painful...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mad+mike+hughes+rocket&oq=mad+mike+hughes+rocket&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2.13339j0j7&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Science is littered with tales of visionaries who paid for pioneering research to prove their theories, and this weekend “Mad” Mike Hughes is hoping to join them. He plans to launch a homemade rocket in California as part of a bid to eventually prove that the Earth is flat.

Hughes has spent $20,000 (£15,000) building the steam-powered rocket in his spare time, and will be livestreaming the launch over the internet. The self-described daredevil says he switched his focus to rockets after twice breaking his back doing stunt jumps in cars.

AP_17324142065466-Made-Mike-Hughes-Calif

“I don’t believe in science,” declared the 61-year-old. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula.”

The rocket, which Hughes aims to reach an altitude of 1,800ft (550 metres) over California, will be launched from the back of a converted motorhome purchased from Craigslist. It is sponsored by a flat Earth research group, and Hughes plans a subsequent trip to try and observe the flatness of the Earth for himself.

Speaking about the risks of the flight, Hughes said: “It’s scary as hell, but none of us are getting out of this world alive.”

Hughes’ website describes him as “the only man to design, build and launch himself in a rocket” – he previously flew in his own rocket in 2014, as this footage shows.

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]

Hughes has stated that once he lands at the weekend, he intends to announce that he is running for the governorship of California.

Flat Earth theory has seen a resurgence in recent years, fuelled by online message boards and some high-profile endorsements from celebrities. The Flat Earth Society, founded in 1956 and relaunched online in the 2000s, currently boasts of having over 500 members, although the group has splintered into two separate factions with competing websites.

In the NBA, Boston Celtics’ Kyrie Irving made headlines for appearing to endorse the idea that the Earth is flat, and former basketball star Shaquille O’Neal surprised everyone in March by declaring the same. “I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it’s flat to me,” he said in a March podcast, before later retracting the claim saying he’d been joking. Irving has also recently distanced himself from the belief.

But Hughes is not alone in his quest to reach the sky to test established science. Rapper BoB has made social media posts supporting the theory in the past, and is currently attempting to raise $1m to place “multiple weather balloons and satellites into space, for experimental exploration”. He has so far only managed to gather nearly $7,000 for the project.

Jules Verne has nothing on this guy. However, I have a gut feeling this will not end well.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/883221/USA-rocket-flat-earth-research-california-desert-mad-mike-hughes-NASA-space-amboy

Nobody with any idea of what gravity is can believe in a flat Earth.

Nobody without an idea of what gravity is should be planning a rocket launch.

This is brilliant. I nearly spat on myself from laughing.

"In 1982, while traveling on faith throughout the western part of the U.S., I had the fortune to meet Ed Palmer in Portland, Oregon, who is the founder of the Cosmic Science Research Center. Ed told us a very strange tale about how he was an exchange baby, that he was originally from Orion but when he was very small, the true Ed Palmer was exchanged for him. He claimed that when he has had a physical examination that there are some differences in his body and also that he has some type of mental plate in his head in which if a UFO comes close, he hears a buzzing sound."

Bad news chaps. Launch postponed. Delayed until Tuesday, he hopes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/25/flat-earther-postpones-steam-powered-rocket-flight-motorhomelaunchpad/amp/

Rob Crilly

25 NOVEMBER 2017 • 11:33 PM

The plan was all set. “Mad” Mike Hughes had picked a launch site, built his steam-powered rocket and set lift-off for Saturday, one step in his plan to fly into space and prove the Earth is flat.

Just one tiny problem.

Well, two problems actually.

At t-minus three days the limo driver from California was told he did not have the necessary permissions for his expedition. There was further disaster as he set off for the ghost town selected for the launch.

“Plus when we were actually ready to leave and go to Amboy the motorhome-slash-rocket launcher broke down in the driveway,” he said in a Youtube announcement....

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...