by Rob Molyneux & Dave Usher

Date of Birth - 15/01/83
Nationality - English
Position - Right Winger
Games -
Goals -
Club Hons (Lpool) - Community Shield 2006
Intnl Hons - England u21
Other Clubs - Notts County, Arsenal, Watford (loan), Leeds (loan), Birmingham, Real Zaragoza, Stoke City

Manager Rafael Benitez finally addressed the long known requirement for a right sided midfield player in the summer of 2006 with the highly controversial capture of Jermaine Pennant from Birmingham city, following the unsuccessful tracking of a number of alternative options.

Pennant was considered a future star when Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger paid out £2million on the then 15 year old - a record fee at that time for a trainee - to take him to Highbury from Notts County. Pennant went on to become Arsenals youngest ever first team player, by two days, when he made his debut in 1999 in the league cup aged 16 years and 319 days. He had to wait until May 2003 before making his full league debut, however, but made up for lost time by scoring a hat-trick in a game against Southampton.

Jermaine had a turbulent early career in professional football, allowing himself to be in the centre of problems both on and off the field. Pennant can be proud to have made 24 appearances for England at U-21 level, making him one of the 5 most capped players at this level, despite being sent off for punching an opponent against Poland, and being sent home by then coach Howard Wilkinson for breaking a curfew before a game against Turkey.

Pennant’s Arsenal career began to wane and successful spells were spent on loan at both Watford and Leeds before signing permanently for Birmingham City in 2005. Early into his time as a Birmingham City player, in January 2005 Pennant was arrested for drink driving following an accident involving his Mercedes car whilst serving an existing 16 month driving ban and driving without insurance. Pennant was sentenced to ninety days in prison, returning to Birmingham City after 30 days to play in the Premier League whilst electronically tagged after receiving parole.

Despite being relegated with Birmingham City in 2005/6 Pennant enjoyed a relatively successful season personally, being credited with the highest amount of successful crosses in the Premier League. The relegation of the club combined with positive performances including an important contribution against Liverpool at Anfield, persuaded manager Rafa benitez to offer £6.7m, potentially rising to £8m, to prise him away form Birmingham.

Jermaine made his full Liverpool debut at Anfield against Maccabi Haifa, in the Champions League 3rd Qualifying round, putting in a dazzling performance on the right wing, highlighting his obvious talents with a ball at his feet. Despite the positive start however his Liverpool career got off to a largely frustrating start.

It began to turn around for him when he scored a fabulous volley in a 2-0 victory against Chelsea at Anfield in January, and his performances then improved dramatically, so much so that he was arguably Liverpool's best player in the CL final defeat to Milan. Pennant came of age that night, giving the Italian defence a lot of problems and going close to getting on the scoresheet.

Hopes that he would use that game as a springboard to finally fulfill the potential he'd shown as a teenager proved to be shortlived however, as a needless sending off at Porto early in the following season saw him fall out of favour and struggle to regain a regular place in the side. He was in and out of the side for the remainder of that season, but by the time 2008-09 started it was clear his days were numbered. He started just three games in the first half of the season and was loaned out to Portsmouth in January.

His contract expired that summer, and he moved to Real Zaragoza in Spain. His time there wasn't a happy one either, and a loan deal to Stoke followed. He began to enjoy his football again with the Potteries club, and was rewarded with a permanent contract. Pennant helped Stoke reach the FA Cup Final in 2011, where they lost a close game to Manchester City.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Available Subscriptions

• Last Match Report

• Latest Posts

• Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool will have a extra sense of purpose as look to correct a mini blip of form and end the season in a positive fashion next Wednesday evening at Anfield.

The Reds produced an uncharacteristically sloppy defensive display against Arsenal with mistakes by Virgil Van Dijk and Alisson gift wrapping both goals for Alexander Lacazette and Reiss Nelson.

The North London outfit offered precious little in an attacking sense throughout the rest of the contest and had Liverpool had been on their A game, the scoreline could have been anything.

But the truth of the matter was the champions were sloppy on the ball with countless missed passes and wasted opportunities in the final third.

After the frustrating draw against Burnley where the team did play well, many felt the Reds would put this beleaguered Gunners outfit to the sword.

The fact that it didn’t happen left many connected to the club extremely frustrated and you sense if given the opportunity, Klopp and the players would have thrived on then opportunity to play another 90 minutes on the spot.  

As is his way, Klopp did not look to dwell on the negatives, instead casting his mind to next Wednesday’s clash with Chelsea and highlighted what a special occasion it will be as the Echo reported.

“We have all been waiting ages, some of us 30 years, and we will finally get this Premier League trophy and it will be a big moment for all of us and our families,” said the Reds boss. “That’s 100%.

“Before that, we have to play a game. For five millions reasons, we will try to win it.

“I have had this situation twice in my life where we have got the trophy on the day.

“It will be difficult, especially when the other team is Chelsea and they are fighting with all they have to get in the Champions League.”

Despite the opponent, Klopp is confident that they play to their optimum level, they will be able to celebrate the moment in fitting style.

“I saw tonight that my boys want to win it. They made two wrong decisions, but they wanted to win the game.

“I don’t think I ever played a game with 24 to three shots against Arsenal, I can’t remember that. There are a lot of goals usually when we play against each other, but not that many tonight – at least on our side. But that dominance we never had before, I can’t remember it at least. So I’m happy about that.

"They made two wrong decisions, but they wanted to win the game.

“And that’s what will happen next week, 100%. We will try with everything we have to win the game.”

View full article
    • Well that's these people faults. It's pretty clear we've been sell to buy. I've still not heard why that's a bad thing, though. I mean the whole point of building a team is keeping the good players who are happy to play for you and to replace the ones who don't want to play for you. You can't tell me anyone good has ever been sold when they still wanted to be here. The difference now is players want to be here, so there's less room in the squad and less money to spend. Oh well.    And the difference between us and Manchester United is they've always been the richest club, they could buy anybody. That's just not realistic when we were mediocre for 25 years and started to lag behind. FSG are our owners because they think they can compete in a world where there are financial regulations. The problem is, there aren't any and so now their crime is basically that they're broke and don't/can't spend their own money because the supposed rules say they shouldn't. That's just not really a fair criticism, to be honest. It's bad faith.    I've always just enjoyed that they're competent for the most part at owning a sports team. That's it really. And it's enough for me I guess, not for some. 
    • Anyone who expects the club to spend any money this year has obviously been Rip van Winkeling it for the last 4 months.   1.  There's a global pandemic on.  2.  There's no-one in the stadium, which has already cost the club tens of millions of pounds 3.  No-one knows if or when fans will come back, so it's likely going to cost the club tens more millions next season. 4.  It is highly likely that commercial deals are going to be less because the global economy is absolutely fucked. 5.  We can't off load squad players for decent fees, because loads of other clubs have no money whatsoever.  Spurs just had to take out a massive loan just to stay afloat.  There is no Bournemouth paying 20 million for Harry Wilson this year. 6.  There's a good chance that this uncertain situation exists for the next couple of years.   Yes, we have hoarded money from previous transfer windows, and should have some to spend - we've also committed a lot to contracts and wage increases for the current squad as well as 150 million building Kirkby and the new Anny Road (on pause that though too obviously)   FSG could have spent their own money in upgrading Anfield, and I definitely have sympathy with this view point.    They've reaped massive returns on their initial investment without putting an extra penny in, just by running the club pretty well.  However, we've seen in the years they've been here that they're not going to do it, so if you're still angry about that by now then you are better at maintaining the rage than me.    I also would prefer the club to be majority fan owned, and there would be the same need for the club to be self sustainable if that was the case, so while it sticks in the craw that an investment group is reaping the benefits rather than the club and fans, the financial model isn't any different.   This year, even if FSG were inclined to dip into their own funds, they probably can't do it as their other major interest is baseball and that is even more fucked the football is.   It's pretty clear from what Klopp has said that we had the Werner deal lined up, but the uncertainty of future income meant the club pulled the plug. He also said the other day that, while we won't be signing anyone this off season, it potentially might happen later in the year.  Pretty clear we are being conservative with the funds because we have no idea what next years income or the year after is going to look like.  Once the situation becomes more certain then we might.  
    • The way we've played this season we've probably been due for some stupid results like we've had recently. All season we've just been grinding and grinding, getting results without being super dominant in lots of matches. Even though there's plenty of caveats around these games with our lack of motivation, I think water is just finding its level. We were never a 100 point, we're about a 90-95 point team. 
    • I think what we're seeing is the consequence of a hard-pressing game, for the entire season, not only on the physique but the psyche as well. These players have been giving 110 percent every single game, the whole season, in fact ever since the advent of Klopp. I see mental exhaustion.   Of course, we've already won the title, which is bound to affect performance even if unconsciously so.   A lot of us may have been in denial but our downhill journey started pretty much after the Athletico defeat. The team has not been the same again. I hope this will make our generous owners revisit their decision not to spend this summer. We clearly need reinforcements.   Curious also how we're going to start the next season, which is not far away by the way.  
  • Latest Round Up

• Popular Contributors

• Football Betting Site Betway