You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

Made a stonking vegetarian curry yesterday which I will share for the masses

1 cup of green lentils

1 medium sweet potato cubed

1 tin of chopped tomatoes

1 finely diced onion

2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp coriander seeds

1 tbsp garamasala

1 tsp tumeric

1 tsp black pepper

1 2" piece of cinnamon stick

5-6 whole cardamon pods

Chicken stock cube

Chopped coriander

Rinse then boil the lentils in a pan with water (no salt) for about 10 mins, drain and put to one side.

Put oil of your choice in a big pan, I used coconut oil, add the coriander & cumin seeds until they start popping, add the onion and gently fry until getting soft then lob in the rest of the spices and a bit of water and cook out for a few minutes. 

Add squash and stir to coat them in the flavour cover and leave on low for 5 minutes to get them started.

Throw in the tomatoes and the same amount of water from the can and bring to the boil add your stock cube, add the lentils on top and cover for about 20 minutes, remove lid to reduce and give it another 20 minutes or until the squash is as soft as you like it. 

Serve with rice and plenty of chopped coriander on top.  

Made this last week and doing it again today. It's a nice breakfast alternative

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/feb/01/cheap-meals-food-2-pounds-a-head-cook-budget

Serves 6 (total £4.58)

120g polenta (30p)

1 tsp sea salt (1p)

1 tsp muscovado sugar (1p)

½ tsp baking powder (2p)

A pinch of cayenne pepper (1p)

A pinch of ground cumin (1p)

A pinch of hot smoked paprika (1p)

¼ tsp chilli flakes (5p)

4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra (36p)

A large handful of coriander leaves (26p)

1 garlic clove, peeled (3p)

30g butter, melted and cooled (10p)

100ml whole milk (8p)

Juice of 1 lime (35p)

7 eggs, one beaten (98p)

2 large, ripe avocados, 1 cut into small cubes, 1 sliced (88p)

1 red onion, ½ diced and ½ sliced (22p)

1 beef tomato, diced (80p)

Chilli sauce (10p)

1 Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas mark 7. Grease an ovenproof dish and pop it in the oven until hot.

2 Put the polenta, salt, sugar, baking powder, spices and chilli flakes in a bowl and mix to combine.

3 Blitz the oil with the coriander and garlic or pound in a pestle and mortar.

4 In a separate bowl, whisk together the coriander-garlic oil, butter, milk, lime juice and egg. Pour the liquid ingredients into the polenta mixture and stir. Fold through the cubed avocado, diced red onion and tomato. Add a little water if you need to: you want quite a wet mix.

5 Remove the hot dish from the oven and pour the mixture in, topping with the sliced avocado and sliced onion.

6 Turn the oven down to 200C/400F/gas mark 6 and bake for 20–25 minutes, until puffed and golden. Remove and leave to cool.

7 Fry 4–6 eggs and serve with the bread and chilli sauce.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FAO VladimirIlyich

Bread and Butter Pudding

I reckon everyone has a different idea about what makes a good bread and butter pudding but its basically a combination of some kind of bread, butter, sugar, milk/cream, eggs (probably) and dried fruit.

Choose an ovenproof baking dish for the amount you want to make

Grease it with butter and then cover the bottom of the dish with buttered bread, usually cut into triangles, crusts on or off, its up to you. If you're looking for something fancier you can used sliced croissants or brioche. I sometimes spread the bread with marmalade. I've also seen recipes suggesting jam. I guess you could also make a chocolatey one using chocolate spread.

Then, if you want, sprinkle some dried fruit (I've also done sliced banana) over the bread and repeat until you reach the top of the dish. Some people like to finish with dried fruit on the top but I cant stand crunchy dried fruit but there's no accounting for people's tastes.

Then make a 'custard' of milk or cream or a combination, caster sugar and eggs. For a 4 people size pudding you need about 3/4 pint of liquid, 2 oz of sugar and 2 eggs. You can use the whole egg, which gives you a more 'set' pudding or just the yolks which gives you a gooey-er finish.

Pour the mixture over the layered bread, covering as much of it as you can and then leave it to soak into the bread for about 30 min before cooking at Gas 4/180C/160 Fan for about 30 min until the pudding is set and browned on the top.

Get to it

• Upvote 2

I made this at the weekend.

Swapped out the shrimp for chicken that I had left over and used lime instead of lime leafs. Absolutely gorgeous soup.

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisnacks/r/traditomyumkung.htm

EDIT: I didn't mince the lemongrass, just cut them down the middle then fished them out later on.

FAO VladimirIlyich

Bread and Butter Pudding

I reckon everyone has a different idea about what makes a good bread and butter pudding but its basically a combination of some kind of bread, butter, sugar, milk/cream, eggs (probably) and dried fruit.

Choose an ovenproof baking dish for the amount you want to make

Grease it with butter and then cover the bottom of the dish with buttered bread, usually cut into triangles, crusts on or off, its up to you. If you're looking for something fancier you can used sliced croissants or brioche. I sometimes spread the bread with marmalade. I've also seen recipes suggesting jam. I guess you could also make a chocolatey one using chocolate spread.

Then, if you want, sprinkle some dried fruit (I've also done sliced banana) over the bread and repeat until you reach the top of the dish. Some people like to finish with dried fruit on the top but I cant stand crunchy dried fruit but there's no accounting for people's tastes.

Then make a 'custard' of milk or cream or a combination, caster sugar and eggs. For a 4 people size pudding you need about 3/4 pint of liquid, 2 oz of sugar and 2 eggs. You can use the whole egg, which gives you a more 'set' pudding or just the yolks which gives you a gooey-er finish.

Pour the mixture over the layered bread, covering as much of it as you can and then leave it to soak into the bread for about 30 min before cooking at Gas 4/180C/160 Fan for about 30 min until the pudding is set and browned on the top.

Get to it

Will put it on my to do list.

Thank you kind lady.

• 4 years later...
On 04/02/2009 at 14:13, hamstrung said:

Macaroni Cheese*

250G Macaroni

250G Cheese (I use half mature cheddar, half Red Leicester)

about 2 thirds of a small tin of evaporated milk

An egg

Nutmeg

Cook the Macaroni

Bang the cheese, evap milk and egg into a blender and wizz that mother till its sloppy. Grate in a bit of nutmeg

Mix the cheese with the mac in a oven proof dish

Grate over some Parmesan for extra cheesy goodness.

Cook at about 200 degree until golden on top and bubbly.

Put in dish

Eat

Costs about £3 for 3/4 portions, dead easy and really nice. Especially in the depths of winter.

*May contain cheese.

Anybody else have good variations?

I like the idea of the egg - not done that. Just made smoked gouda mac and cheese but I always make a melted cheese base first (cream, a little butter and whatever cheese I am using), not melting is easier but it is never as creamy .

• 2 weeks later...