You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

Guest ShoePiss
Anyone else batch cook?

Place where I work has a bistro and the food is cooked by an actual chef rather than a cook. After working there a few years I started getting a bit of a lard arse and realized I needed to stop buying food there everyday and get back to batch cooking curries, stirfrys, casseroles etc and chucking them in those takeaway foil tins you can buy 5 for £1 in home and bargain.

Its nice cooking something that cost you maybe £5, feeds you for 5 lunches and you know exactly what you put in it - as opposed to paying £4 a day to eat something someone else cooked and not knowing health-wise whats in it.

Anyway here's one of my fave batchcooking recipes, hope you have a huge wok (fnar).

Teriyaki Noodles / Stirfry

What you need (this produced a massive wok of food so half / quarter all ingredients for less):

The actual stirfry...

The usual stirfry veg (I used two bags of Sainsburies pre-prepared stuff)

Chicken, quorn, whatever is your poison meat wise

And the sauce..

Half a pint of water

150ml of tamari soy sauce (in all supermarkets) or 250ml of standard soy sauce.. much better with tamari though

4 tablespoons of brown sugar

1cm square of ginger grated or chopped finely

2 crushed cloves of garlic

Simmer all the sauce ingredients and if its too thin add half a cube of veg or chicken stock. Add more if you want it thicker. Keep stiring til you take it off the boil!

Cook as a normal stirfry (i'll be fucked if i'm tell you how to do that!) and add the sauce. Enjoy!

163009_10150114477464744_566949743_7590244_6460714_n.jpg

Get yourself one of these mate :- FoodSaverâ„¢

9904171_foodsaver.jpg

Straight from the Cath household recipe book...

Chicken breasts stuffed with haggis with sprout puree ravoili and a whisky and blue cheese sauce.

Method:

Carefully choose bottle of red wine.

Open

Pour into 2 large glasses

Sit in kitchen, drink wine and chat to hubby while he does cooking stuff

Eat food.

This is simple, yet tasty. Perfect for us manly men...

Some chorizo, cut up into cubes

1 Pepper, also cubed

Some mushrooms, as cubey as you can chop them

Good cheese, cube this too

Packet of cous cous

Small drizzle of oil

Pre-heat your oven to somewhere around 150C and cube your ingredients. Throw the pepper, mushrooms and chorizo into something oven-proof (I used a casserole dish) with a drizzle of oil. Keep hold of the cheese for now.

Prepare your cous cous - I used the freeze dried Aynsley Harriott stuff.

Turn off the oven, then mix in your cous cous and cheese to the casserole dish and throw back in the oven for 5 mins. The cous cous will dry up a bit and the cheese will 'submit.'

Remove dish once you have prepared your drink and gathered your cutlery.

Voila.

Guest ShoePiss
Straight from the Cath household recipe book...

Chicken breasts stuffed with haggis with sprout puree ravoili and a whisky and blue cheese sauce.

Method:

Carefully choose bottle of red wine.

Open

Pour into 2 large glasses

Sit in kitchen, drink wine and chat to hubby while he does cooking stuff

Eat food.

I'd just stick with the wine, that sounds revolting.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This is simple, yet tasty. Perfect for us manly men...

Some chorizo, cut up into cubes

1 Pepper, also cubed

Some mushrooms, as cubey as you can chop them

Good cheese, cube this too

Packet of cous cous

Hmn. I spot an error.

About a month ago I was pissed in Sainsburys and saw in the "going off" draw 2 pork loins on the bone for a staggering 64p. I thought "Oooo that's a lot of meat for under a pound isn't it?" bought em, froze em and didn't use them. Until now! I had a hankering for a slowcooker meal as I hadn't for a few weeks so defrosted the yesterday and created..

Paulie Dangerously's Pulled Pork stew

2 Pork Loins on the bone

10 new potatos

1 tin of mixed beans

1 tin of chopped tomatos

1 jar of Aldi's finest Guiseppe's pasta tomato and herb sauce

generous helping of chili flakes

2 tsp of garlic puree

2 chicken stock cubes

I defrosted those loins and marinated with the garlic and chili over night in foil. I sliced the new potatos into 3s to make disks of them and put them first in the slow cooker, then poured the tin of rinsed beans over them. The loins I had were rolled and tied so I removed the string and browned them on either side and lobbed them over the veg. Poured the tomatoes, pasta sauce (and a half-jarful of water) into the pot and crumbled my stock cubes in. Generous black pepper.

Gave a little shake and then put on low from 7:30am until 18:00. I took the meat out, took out the bone (was so tender it fell out) and shredded on a plate using two forks, and put back into the pot, stir and served with green beans

Sex on a plate

• 1 month later...
Need a recommendation for my tea, it will be a one person meal and I have £20 and the co-op to aid me in my quest, I'm no master chef so nothing too complicated like 3/4 of stuff etc. just give it to me nice and easy.

You have one hour.

A good cup of Darjeeling will cost you far less than £20 and it's pretty easy, put bag in mug, add hot water and stir. Add milk and sugar/honey to taste.

Yesterday I watched Something for the weekend where Simon Rimmer made Sausage and Chirizo Goulash..I attempted to make it for tea lst night and can report that it was bloody glorious and very very easy to make!

Ingredients

knob of butter

good quality beef sausages, chopped

spicy chorizo sausage, chopped

2 onions, finely sliced

1 garlic clove, chopped.

2 tbsp plain flour

1 tbsp smoked paprika

2 red chillies, finely chopped

1 red pepper, finely sliced

a half cup of beef stock

small pot soured cream

1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

cooked long-grain rice, to serve

Preparation method

1.Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.

2.Heat the butter in a large ovenproof frying pan and fry the beef sausages and chorizo for 5-7 minutes, or until browned all over.

3.Remove the sausages from the pan using a slotted spoon and set aside. Fry the onions and garlic in the same pan for 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

4.Add the paprika, chillies and pepper and stir until well combined. Pour in the beef stock, return the beef sausage and chorizo to the pan and cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes.

5.Remove the frying pan from the oven.. Stir in the soured cream and parsley until well combined.

6.Serve the goulash with long-grain rice.

Deeeelish... FACT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simon

Ok thought id add something. Its rather posh butstill a cracking recipie thisis mine and im very pleased with it.

Cheese on toast souflee.

Ingredients.

75g Butter 80g Plain white flour. Milk to texture. ! tbs Whole Grain Mustard. 1 Small bottle cheap Bitter reduced to syrup one Worcestershire sauce to taste. Bread Crumbs 3 eggs large. Seasoning. good quality Cheddar Cheese.

Stage one make a Roux

melt butter in a pan do not let it burn then add flour stir till paste turn on high heat stir furiously with whisk till to cook out the flour when you think this is done take it of the heat.

Bachamel

Heat Milk and season and this to your roux slowly. You are looking for a thick sauce also shiny and smooth.

Moranais

Add cheese to taste if it become to thick add a little hot milk. Remember to taste through every stage. Transfer this to a blender. Blend then pass through a sieve.

Now add some of your Bitter Syrup to the sauce this is your first and hard bit. Too much will kill it flavour wise so add slowly and keep tasting you want to be able to taste your cheese still. Next is the mustard add too the mix and whisk quickly add it bit by bit then season and taste. Next is the Worcestershire Sauce This is very strong so be careful. Taste and season this is the last time you get to taste it till its done so make sure its perfect.

Then Line round Ramakins with Butter and Bread crumbs Preheat the oven to 200C.

Next Seperate your eggs. whisk the whites to soft peak. quickest way is to use you whisk quickly in a figure of 8s. next add bit by bit and fold into you mixture gently should become like sponge. Then immediately add to the Ramekins cut around them to help it rise. Put in a low shelf oven for about 25 mins don't take that as a cert though as this varies. you are looking at it rising at least a quoter of its mould in height also will be golden brown.

Enjoy This is a breakfast.